ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ALF said:
I went into work at Everett Community College yesterday and here is what I saw:

photo.php

OK... you have my attention since I live nearby. What did you see. I'm not seeing the photo on this end.

DaveinOlyWA said:
doug401 said:
ALF said:

photo.php

OK... you have my attention since I live nearby. What did you see. I'm not seeing the photo on this end.

pix is from facebook but i cannot see it here or there

The suspense is killing me...what did you see????

ALF said:
Inquiring minds have to see what you saw, but since I don't have a facebook account, I can not view this:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=505872283681&set=a.505599545251.1443.295000001&type=3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ebill3 said:
ALF said:
Inquiring minds have to see what you saw, but since I don't have a facebook account, I can not view this:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=505872283681&set=a.505599545251.1443.295000001&type=3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you need to make the pix public. i have a FB account and cannot view it either

DaveHanson said:
Advice please? I'm trying to figure out if (and perhaps when, given new QCs scheduled for launch) a trip from Seattle WA 98112 to Cannon Beach OR 97110 might be feasible within 6-8 hour commute time?

I think the key in my proposed travel plan will be the QC in Fife soon to be online (I've incorporated that into the map directions below). Once that's online, then the only 60+ mile gap will be a 65 miles segment on highway between Castle Rock WA and Astoria, OR, of which 45 miles is interstate (US I30) that is not overly crowded, where slower speeds should be OK.
Good news - CHAdeMO is active in Cannon Beach.

http://www.cannonbeachgazette.com/news/local_news/article_0e658bcc-7b0c-11e2-b622-0019bb2963f4.html

It's such a nice day today that my thoughts turn to possible drives in my LEAF. I'm looking at going over the pass along Highway 2 to Wenatchee but of course a key DC QC along the route from a company who shall remain anonymous is on the BLINK so the drive wouldn't be convenient. :evil:

That fact aside has anyone travelled the 51 miles between the reliable AV chargers between Skykomish and Leavenworth with only a 80% charge? My sense is telling me that given the terrain the distance might be too far.

Luft said:
It's such a nice day today that my thoughts turn to possible drives in my LEAF. I'm looking at going over the pass along Highway 2 to Wenatchee but of course a key DC QC along the route from a company who shall remain anonymous is on the BLINK so the drive wouldn't be convenient. :evil:

That fact aside has anyone travelled the 51 miles between the reliable AV chargers between Skykomish and Leavenworth with only a 80% charge? My sense is telling me that given the terrain the distance might be too far.

it was done by several but that was last Summer right after they opened. not sure I would want to tackle it in Winter

rdhauser said:
And, for what it's worth, the DCQC at Tahoma market was listed as available on the Blink Map this morning.

it works. I was using the right side on Friday when Shandy was replacing screen on the left side.

Luft said:
Has anyone gone from Tumwater DC QC to Ocean Shores. It's about 75 miles. A group of my friends want to know if I can take them there in my LEAF this April. We would rent a cabin for the night so I think I could charge there for a return trip.

If it's not too cold and I ran the whole way at 50 MPH will the terrain allow me to make it?

What do you think? Bad idea or go for it?

Yes, do it. Its not a bad idea.

We have a place out in Ocean Shores just south of downtown, and in the warmer months, I can easily pull up before LBW.

This is a difficult route. I drive 75 miles on a daily basis to work, mostly at aggressive freeway speeds, which i think is damn easy, but maybe its just because there 15 backup plans to and from work. This drive however is the EV equivalent of flying over the ocean in a plane with almost the exact amount of fuel needed and landing on the first attempt.

It will require destination charging, and you will have to be patient as its Level 1. But I typically can drive around town using almost no energy and get back in time for the final 100%.

Tips:

1) defog when needed is okay, but avoid climate control. (some locals to OS tell me you can run the AC apparently during the entire way...YMMV)

2) You *have* to leave Tumwater at 100%. This means double starting the charge. It will take a long time (about an hour), but you *have* to do it. Daveinoly will get mad at you for blocking his charger, but tell him you have no choice :lol:

3) If its your first run on this route, take it very easy. Try an off peak time, leave the Tumwater facility towards Black Lake, and turn onto Highway 8 at the overpass. While you can typically be fine at highway speeds, I do not recommend it for the first drive. As soon as you clear the "mountain pass", turn onto the Moxi Chehallis exit and use the back road that parallels the highway. You can take it into Montesano and then right back onto the highway.

4) If the Level 1 timer to 100% shows 4:00-4:30 while climbing the hill up into Central Park (before Aberdeen), you are in good shape and can make it there at highway speeds all the way to ocean shores.

4) The return trip should be done in the reverse order, leave at 100%. This one seems a bit easier to deal with..

5) There are no stray plugs scattered about on this drive that someone can inconspicuously use in a pinch. Believe me, ive looked :D Maybe someone will find some eventually

It'll be nice once some place in Aberdeen sets up a few L2 EVSEs. Kinda hoping that it would've happened by now so a trip out to Ocean Shores is more doable for those looking for a bit more assurance. Anyone know of any coming by this summer? Are there any already there that don't appear in Plugshare?

oh one thing to mention.

i have done the trip twice and both times I left LACEY at 100% since I live there so that makes my trip about 79 miles but I am pretty sure it will take more energy to get back from OS than it takes to get there.

both times, I left OS to Hood Canal and to Lake Trask, both only 35 and 40 miles away.

now, i had kicked around the idea that if i ever did do a straight shot to Lacey from OS, that i would detour on 108 to Taylor Towne where Taylor Shellfish is. they have a charger that you can use.

it would make the trip a bit longer overall and it will be a slow L2 charge but better than walking!

If you were traveling to Weed CA and at Yreka you had five or six fuel bars with another 30 miles to go along I-5 and knowing that you were going to lose about 1.5 KWh due to the terrain would you:

1. Stop and charge at a RV park in Yreka for a few hours and about $15.00.
2. Continue along I-5 and reduce your speed to 50 MPH.
3. Go an extra 5 or 6 miles by taking HWY 3 to HWY 97 and then to Weed and reduce your speed as much as possible.

Luft said:
If you were traveling to Weed CA and at Yreka you had five or six fuel bars with another 30 miles to go along I-5 and knowing that you were going to lose about 1.5 KWh due to the terrain would you:

3. Go an extra 5 or 6 miles by taking HWY 3 to HWY 97 and then to Weed and reduce your speed as much as possible.

#2. manipulating speed is something I do almost daily. I am lazy and unless its quick charge or a VERY convenient L2, I dont really want to stop. If all it took was to slow down to 50, I would just slow down to 55 AT THE BEGINNING instead...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Luft said:

#2. manipulating speed is something I do almost daily. I am lazy and unless its quick charge or a VERY convenient L2, I dont really want to stop. If all it took was to slow down to 50, I would just slow down to 55 AT THE BEGINNING instead...
Unfortunately the scenario is a little harder. I planned to travel this entire leg of the EV rally at a constant speed of 50 MPH. I think I'll make it to Weed but if I calculated it right I'll arrive with .93 KWh of remaining power. I don't know if I can get away with travelling I-5 at 45 MPH. :shock:

Luft said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Luft said:

Unfortunately the scenario is a little harder. I planned to travel this entire leg of the EV rally at a constant speed of 50 MPH. I think I'll make it to Weed but if I calculated it right I'll arrive with .93 KWh of remaining power. I don't know if I can get away with travelling I-5 at 45 MPH. :shock:

oooh, i did not know it was part of the Rally. thought it was just a personal trip. u can get away with traveling 45 mph. I have encountered people driving that fast.

the other day, I was "zipping" along on I-5 about 53-54 mph and passed an electric Frito Lay truck (on the right) that was doing about 45 mph (in the center lane...)

guessing he knows all about that range anxiety :)

I'm sorry I didn't read this forum before leasing my Leaf. Might have gotten a better deal. I have a stupid question. In reading these posts, people talk about charging to 100% on the quick charge. When I used the one in Lake City, it asked me what percentage I wanted to charge to with 80% being the highest amount. How do I charge to 100%? Also planning a trip to visit some friends in Yakima and it looks possible if I use the one in Cle Elum, but there is a significant distance from Snoqualmie to there (I've seen some reference to Snoqualmie Pass here, but I can't find it on any map). There's also been many posts regarding Blink in an unfavorable way. Should I always have a backup plan if using the Blink system? BTW I live in Lake City and got my Leaf just last week.

thanks

Back