ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the address of the Fife DC QC unit that will be turned on later this year? It sure will make getting from Olympia to Seattle a lot easier.

6006 Pacific Hwy East
Fife, WA 98424

is the address of the Tahoma Market where it was suppose to be installed originally...not sure if it's still planned for there or not.

LECTRFY said:
6006 Pacific Hwy East
Fife, WA 98424

is the address of the Tahoma Market where it was suppose to be installed originally...not sure if it's still planned for there or not.

oh its there for sure and making progress. hope to have it running soon.

2012-12-17_16-27-32_14.jpg

this pix was taken dec 17th

Stopped by on Jan. 14th - the display was working but couldn't read my Blink card. I called the number and apparently something was hooked up incorrectly and there is a service ticket on the right unit. Charging doesn't work. Nothing set up on the left. I asked how to tell if it was up and going and the response was to "call every couple of weeks". So that didn't sound too positive.

TaylorSFGuy said:
Stopped by on Jan. 14th - the display was working but couldn't read my Blink card. I called the number and apparently something was hooked up incorrectly and there is a service ticket on the right unit. Charging doesn't work. Nothing set up on the left. I asked how to tell if it was up and going and the response was to "call every couple of weeks". So that didn't sound too positive.

what?? after all this time they still cant get the basics right? or is it simply not ready...

hard to say how much the person on the phone actually knows verses general canned responses... hoping that "few weeks" is nothing more than that

I know the commute issues you are having and the Tumwater station is just not in a good place for the commute home. Fife would be perfect and a 10 minute stop to get more than enough to get you home in the worst weather. Tumwater, you would have to sit there 30+ minutes. hope its up running for you soon.

i have a training class today and will swing by there today afterwards to check it out

** note; have you heard about the rollout of QC's to Nissan dealerships? the Fife dealership is just down the road from there and rumors say several up and running by March (might be quicker than Blink!)

also another QC off exit 111 in Hawks Prairie Exit (Walmart exit) although not ideal is still in a better position for you going to work and probably a bit easier freeway on/off than Tumwater.

albeit a "bit" late, but options are starting to pop up. but once again, they are just promises at this point (no ground broken on 111 yet that I have seen and thru the area a few times a week looking...)

Tahoma Market said:
The Tahoma team had a call with the Blink team today. Latest update is that the DCFC will be up and running next week. Been some issues with the hardware that are being resolved as we speak. Thanks for your continued patience. The 4 smaller chargers are up and running if you need them.
from this link: Tahoma Market FACEBOOK photo, left this morning 1/18/2013.

Advice please? I'm trying to figure out if (and perhaps when, given new QCs scheduled for launch) a trip from Seattle WA 98112 to Cannon Beach OR 97110 might be feasible within 6-8 hour commute time?

I think the key in my proposed travel plan will be the QC in Fife soon to be online (I've incorporated that into the map directions below). Once that's online, then the only 60+ mile gap will be a 65 miles segment on highway between Castle Rock WA and Astoria, OR, of which 45 miles is interstate (US I30) that is not overly crowded, where slower speeds should be OK.

Below is the printout of directions and travel times via google maps. Let me know if there's a way to format it to make it easier to decipher. Thanks in advance!

Seattle WA 98112

8. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Sea-Tac Airport/Interstate 5 S and merge onto I-5 S
26.9 mi
9. Take exit 137 for WA-99 N toward Fife/Milton
0.3 mi
10. Turn right onto 54th Ave E/WA-99 N
318 ft
11. Take the 1st right onto WA-99 N
Destination will be on the right
0.4 mi
31.4 mi – about 39 mins

6006 Pacific Hwy E
Fife, WA 98424
12. Head west on WA-99 S toward 59th Ave Ct E
0.4 mi
13. Turn left onto 54th Ave E/WA-99 S
213 ft
14. Merge onto I-5 S via the ramp to Tacoma
34.5 mi
15. Take exit 102 for Trosper Rd toward Black Lake
0.2 mi
16. Turn left onto Trosper Rd SW
0.2 mi
17. Turn right onto Capitol Blvd SE
0.5 mi
35.9 mi – about 38 mins

6131 Capitol Blvd SE
Tumwater, WA 98501
18. Head north on Capitol Blvd SE toward U St SE
0.5 mi
19. Turn left onto Trosper Rd SW
0.2 mi
20. Slight right onto the Interstate 5 S ramp to Centralia/Portland
0.4 mi
21. Merge onto I-5 S
19.4 mi
22. Take exit 82 for Harrison Avenue
0.3 mi
23. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for City Center
187 ft
24. Turn left onto Harrison Ave
0.2 mi
21.1 mi – about 21 mins

817 Harrison Ave
Centralia, WA 98531
25. Head southeast on Harrison Ave toward W High St
495 ft
26. Turn left onto Lowe St
0.3 mi
27. Take the 1st right onto Harrison Ave
0.5 mi
28. Turn left onto the Interstate 5 S ramp
0.3 mi
29. Merge onto I-5 S
32.4 mi
30. Take exit 49 toward Castle Rock/Toutle
0.3 mi
31. Turn right onto WA-411 N/Huntington Ave N
0.7 mi
34.5 mi – about 35 mins

204 Cowlitz St E
Castle Rock, WA 98611
32. Head north on WA-411 S/Huntington Ave N toward Cedar St NE
0.7 mi
33. Turn right to merge onto I-5 S toward Portland
12.4 mi
34. Take exit 36 for WA-432
0.2 mi
35. Take exit 36A on the left for Washington 432 W toward Longview
0.4 mi
36. Merge onto WA-432 W
2.0 mi
37. Slight left onto Tennant Way
0.5 mi
38. Slight right toward 7th Ave
115 ft
39. Sharp left onto 7th Ave
118 ft
40. Slight right onto Tennant Way
0.5 mi
41. Turn left onto Oregon Way
1.5 mi
42. Continue onto WA-433 S/Lewis and Clark Bridge
Continue to follow Lewis and Clark Bridge
Entering Oregon
0.9 mi
43. Merge onto U.S. 30 W via the ramp to Clatskanie/Astoria
46.6 mi
65.9 mi – about 1 hour 17 mins

900 Marine Dr
Astoria, OR 97103
44. Head west on Marine Dr toward 9th St
226 ft
45. Slight right onto U.S. 30 W/Marine Dr
Continue to follow Marine Dr
1.5 mi
46. At the traffic circle, take the 1st exit onto US-101 S/Oregon Coast Hwy heading to Warrenton/Seaside/Airport
13.4 mi
47. Slight right onto US-101 S/Oregon Coast Hwy/N Roosevelt Dr
Continue to follow US-101 S/Oregon Coast Hwy
12.2 mi
48. Slight left onto Turk South Rd
0.1 mi
27.2 mi – about 36 mins

Cannon Beach, OR 97016

http://goo.gl/maps/1yqNV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Start------- Seattle WA 98112 (start at 100% charge)

(35 minutes travel @ 65mph, plus 20 minutes charging to 80%)

31.7 miles - 6006 Pacific Hwy E, Fife, WA 98424

(40 minutes travel @ 65mph, plus 25 minutes charging to 80%)

35.9 miles - 6131 Capitol Blvd SE, Tumwater, WA 98501

(25 minutes travel @ 65mph, plus 20 minutes charging to 80%)

21.1 miles - 817 Harrison Ave, Centralia, WA 98531

(40 minutes travel @ 65mph, plus 25 minutes charging to 80%)

34.5 miles - 204 Cowlitz St E, Castle Rock, WA 98611

(85 minutes travel @ 55mph, plus 60 minutes charging to 100%)

65.9 miles - 900 Marine Dr, Astoria, OR 97103

213 miles - 6.15 hours, assuming every charger works and you don't have to wait for one.

PLUS, 45 minutes to drive the last 26 miles to Cannon Beach.

TOTAL 239 miles, 7 hours

Obviously, you can't drive this final leg at a fast speed with the heater blasting (or with a seriously degraded battery, or a cold battery). It all looks very doable, and you'll learn a lot.

There is an L2 charging station at the Nissan dealer at 700 7th Ave, Longview, WA. Maybe for you first jaunt, stop there for an hour depending on the temperature? You can count on losing 1% of your battery capacity per 4F degrees below 70F, so at 30F degrees, you will lose 10% capacity, hence 10% range. In addition to this lost capacity, you have to consider degradation on the battery (you shouldn't have any if it's a new car).

Also, a loaded car going up and down hills will use more energy than a flat highway (sorry, I can't give you a nifty-neato formula for that, but generally, gaining 1000 feet in elevation will lose 1.5kWh of battery capacity... you'll gain some, or half, or more than half... on the way down the other side)

Finally, the cabin heater on the 2011, 2012, and 2013 LEAFs without a heat pump will DESTROY your range. If you don't quite know how to estimate your range yet, I recommend turning it off except long enough to defrost the windshield on this last leg.

I probably would drive the last leg at 55mph to give everybody a safety margin, plus I know you'll be staring at the Guess-O-Meter.....

STOP USING THE Guess-O-Meter !!!!

Here's the elevation profile for you last leg:

LEAFelevationProfileWhiteCastle2AstoriaOregon_zpsc7a8e6d1.jpg

DaveHanson said:
Advice please? I'm trying to figure out if (and perhaps when, given new QCs scheduled for launch) a trip from Seattle WA 98112 to Cannon Beach OR 97110 might be feasible within 6-8 hour commute time?
I am looking at a trip to Seaside this spring, and as you know, except for RV parks, there is nothing past Astoria. Following is text of an email from Cannon Beach. Don't know what charge level they are planning, but at least there will be something. Topping off in Cannon Beach will give you a buffer and some 'running around miles'.

And, I'm sure you know, there are some serious grades on Rt 30 after you cross the river at Longview. That segment from Castle Rock to Astoria will be challenging. You might explore an alternate route. Taking highway 4 on the WA side of the river and then crossing the Columbia via a ferry at Cathlamet is only 2 miles longer than Rt 30, and might eliminate some of the grades, but I have not explored that aspect.

We are in the process of installing a charging station that will be located at the RV Park. Our goal is to have a grand opening in February. We will have information on the grand opening and the charging station on our website once we get closer to the completion date. http://ci.cannon-beach.or.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sincerely,
Jennifer

Jennifer Bradshaw
Administrative Assistant
City of Cannon Beach
PO Box 368
Cannon Beach OR 97110

Phone: 503-436-8048
TTY: 503-436-8097

I assume the RV park she is referring to is the municipal park in midtown.

Wow, what terrific answers, Tony and Bill! I really appreciate it.

Tony, I'll follow up more when I get a chance to study your exceptionally helpful and detailed post. :)

I was so excited to see that the PlugShare program showed that the DC QC station in Fife was available that I jumped into my LEAF with 80% charge and drove up to take a look. Of course it's the Blink network so the charger was not really available. :evil:

I had enough of a charge to make it to the little park along Ruston where there was a $3.00 per session level 2 charger (Charge Point Network). Four hours later I left with seven bars showing and made it back to Tumwater. The low battery warning went off just as I exited the Freeway. (Am I getting good at predicting how much juice my car will need or what?)

I would recommend learning to live as if the blink DC QC's don't exist. I have zero faith that the company can get it together after two years of super crappy results! I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong... are you listening ecotality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GaslessInSeattle said:
I would recommend learning to live as if the blink DC QC's don't exist. I have zero faith that the company can get it together after two years of super crappy results! I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong... are you listening ecotality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In which case we will never be able to leave Seattle (unless you have 4 h to spare on a lame L2 charger)..... :evil:
To the north and south we are strategically dependent on QC near Tacoma and Everett.

Never is a very long time :D I think it's time to start aggressively lobbying WADOT to hunt down more funding, cut ecotality out of the deal and extend the aerovironment contract throughout the Seattle Metro area... aerovironment got it done and they are pretty reliable. Hopefully all is not lost with ecotality and they have provided good data for study, which was really their main purpose.

klapauzius said:
GaslessInSeattle said:

In which case we will never be able to leave Seattle (unless you have 4 h to spare on a lame L2 charger)..... :evil:
To the north and south we are strategically dependent on QC near Tacoma and Everett.

GaslessInSeattle said:
Never is a very long time :D I think it's time to start aggressively lobbying WADOT to hunt down more funding, cut ecotality out of the deal and extend the aerovironment contract throughout the Seattle Metro area... aerovironment got it done and they are pretty reliable. Hopefully all is not lost with ecotality and they have provided good data for study, which was really their main purpose.

klapauzius said:
GaslessInSeattle said:

Any idea how to do that efficiently...Calling and writing emails does not seem to have much of an effect...
Anyway, I will happily support any efforts towards this goal.

Back