ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sirfergy said:
So an update on my Renton -> Tacoma roundtrip question, loaded the Leaf up with the family (2 adults, 2 kids) and headed down. Drove in ECO with A/C on going about 63mph the whole trip of 60 miles. Made it home with three bars remaining!

:D

New Public L2 Charger in Lynnwood. I was happy to find two new Blink L2 chargers at the Fred Meyer in Lynnwood. It is in the Alderwood Shopping Center (2902 164th Street SW Lynnwood, WA 98037). They are located on the north side of Fred Meyers. There are four spaces allocated for the two chargers, one is handicapped accessable. I'm glad to see some stations going in on the north side. Once a week I need to drive from the south end to Everett. I can make it without topping up but I will feel a whole lot better with a few extra miles. Added bonus there is a Five Guys Hamburger joint in the same shopping center. :D

IBELEAF said:
I made the 50 mile drive today, avoided the freeway for some of the trip, driving all the way in ECO and keeping speeds below 60 mph, plus I got into traffic which helped a bit, so in the end my average was 4.7 and 4 bars remaining as I arrived home. I did not use lights or climate control.
4.7 when you do 50% or more on the freeway is very good. That is nearly 100 miles of range.

ebill3 said:
This Saturday I plan to visit a friend in the Redmond Union Hill area. It is 46 miles one-way and mostly freeway, ending with that climb up the hill. I will be able to get a few hours L1 charge at his abode, but I doubt it will be enough for the return to Puyallup.

I realize there are several Nissan dealers along the route, and that there are public L2 stations in Redmond and Bellevue. I would appreciate any positive or negative comments on your experiences using those dealers or municipal facilities, or any other suggestions to make my first 'out of range' trip a success.
Well, the visit turned out to be about five hours, so the return trip was a piece of cake. Climate control on and even managed to show a few ICE drivers that a LEAF isn't a slug - that's fun.

Us old dogs will eventually learn to shrug the old quarter tank mentality.

Bill

ebill3 said:
ebill3 said:
This Saturday I plan to visit a friend in the Redmond Union Hill area. It is 46 miles one-way and mostly freeway, ending with that climb up the hill. I will be able to get a few hours L1 charge at his abode, but I doubt it will be enough for the return to Puyallup.

I realize there are several Nissan dealers along the route, and that there are public L2 stations in Redmond and Bellevue. I would appreciate any positive or negative comments on your experiences using those dealers or municipal facilities, or any other suggestions to make my first 'out of range' trip a success.
Well, the visit turned out to be about five hours, so the return trip was a piece of cake. Climate control on and even managed to show a few ICE drivers that a LEAF isn't a slug - that's fun.
Did you just kick into Eco and coast down Union Hill Road? That's what I always do en route back from the stables; not only is that fun, but there's a slightly gleeful "Free fuel! MUAHAHAH!" aspect to the whole exercise as you watch your regen meter grow. ;)

yesterday we had dinner in tacoma. total round trip mileage was 51.5 miles and we averaged 5.2 miles per with 80 percent of that being freeway. we did right between 55 and 60 so getting 5 miles per kilowatt can be done

Packet said:
Did you just kick into Eco and coast down Union Hill Road? That's what I always do en route back from the stables; not only is that fun, but there's a slightly gleeful "Free fuel! MUAHAHAH!" aspect to the whole exercise as you watch your regen meter grow. ;)
Oh, yes indeed. And the hill was clear - no one in front and no one on my rear bumper.

In the ICE, I used to drop the tranny into second going down that hill.

Bill

speedracer said:
New Public L2 Charger in Lynnwood. I was happy to find two new Blink L2 chargers at the Fred Meyer in Lynnwood. It is in the Alderwood Shopping Center (2902 164th Street SW Lynnwood, WA 98037). They are located on the north side of Fred Meyers. There are four spaces allocated for the two chargers, one is handicapped accessable. I'm glad to see some stations going in on the north side. Once a week I need to drive from the south end to Everett. I can make it without topping up but I will feel a whole lot better with a few extra miles. Added bonus there is a Five Guys Hamburger joint in the same shopping center. :D

Thanks for the tip I stopped by and charged up the Leaf a bit. BTW, two of the spots were ICE'd even with signage. I did get asked a few questions by people when I plugged the Leaf in and on return a guy in the handicap spot next to the chargers says 'that is really cool' I assume meaning the car.

Note: Why can't Blink get their own network updated with these pubic chargers :(

derekjsmith said:
speedracer said:
New Public L2 Charger in Lynnwood. I was happy to find two new Blink L2 chargers at the Fred Meyer in Lynnwood. It is in the Alderwood Shopping Center (2902 164th Street SW Lynnwood, WA 98037). They are located on the north side of Fred Meyers.

Note: Why can't Blink get their own network updated with these pubic chargers :(

It is, sort of. The Blink Map confidently locates the Alderwood chargers just off SR900 in NE Renton.

sproqitman said:
derekjsmith said:
speedracer said:
New Public L2 Charger in Lynnwood. I was happy to find two new Blink L2 chargers at the Fred Meyer in Lynnwood. It is in the Alderwood Shopping Center (2902 164th Street SW Lynnwood, WA 98037). They are located on the north side of Fred Meyers.

It is, sort of. The Blink Map confidently locates the Alderwood chargers just off SR900 in NE Renton.

They should have never named it "The Blink Network". They were just asking for bad luck. :?:

On another note, today I found they have now installed chargers at the Fred Meyer in Everett on Evergreen Way. They are located on the south side of the building just around from the Tully's.

derekjsmith said:
speedracer said:
On another note, today I found they have now installed chargers at the Fred Meyer in Everett on Evergreen Way. They are located on the south side of the building just around from the Tully's.

How do you find these?

I had read an article that Blink chargers would be installed at a number of Fred Meyer Stores including Everett. I really need a charging station for days I drive north so I've just been driving by the Fred Meyer up there to check. It seems like it takes about four weeks for the Blink site to get updated and as noted the map is still sometimes wrong.

Has anyone used the Chargepoint EVSEs on the 3rd floor of the southern parking garage at the UW's Bothell campus? Are they truly free to charge at?

uwskier20 said:
I used them in August. Yep, they're free. :)
Thanks. I'm about 2 weeks away from getting my Leaf and I'm making plans to do a 72 mile round trip commute (2 to 3 times a week). Looking at options for charging stations near the Boeing Everett plant and along the north end of I-405. I see on the Blink site that 2 Fred Meyers in that area now have charging stations.

Drivesolo said:
Looking at options for charging stations near the Boeing Everett plant and along the north end of I-405. I see on the Blink site that 2 Fred Meyers in that area now have charging stations.

If you are looking for charging spots near the Boeing Everett Plant Fred Meyer is your best bet. The Fred Meyer On Evergreen Way just down the road from Boeing and the Lynnwood Fred Meyer. In my opinion, Lynnwood is the better bet, just off the I-5 and I-405 with a Starbucks and a Five Guys Hamburger joint to waste some time at.

speedracer said:
Drivesolo said:
Looking at options for charging stations near the Boeing Everett plant and along the north end of I-405. I see on the Blink site that 2 Fred Meyers in that area now have charging stations.

If you are looking for charging spots near the Boeing Everett Plant Fred Meyer is your best bet. The Fred Meyer On Evergreen Way just down the road from Boeing and the Lynnwood Fred Meyer. In my opinion, Lynnwood is the better bet, just off the I-5 and I-405 with a Starbucks and a Five Guys Hamburger joint to waste some time at.

Another option: Magic Nissan is just down Evergreen Way (south, a mile or two) from the Everett Fred Meyer. Not sure their policy about charging. Probably give them a call and find out. Also not sure there is much to do around, but might be okay in a pinch.

Good luck.
Lori

Does anyone know of a publicly accessible L3 charger in the Seattle-metro area? I'd like to be able to try charging from one just for the heck of it. I think it would be much more entertaining to watch the range climb up than on an L2. ;)

There are no quick-charge stations in the area... yet.

Aerovironment is handling installs of quick charge stations along the I-5 corridor in the next month or two, and ECOtality has a bunch they're putting in around the city; some of the ECOtality folks are in the local LEAF community and have shared the map of planned blinknetwork quick-charger locations on Facebook.

Packet said:
There are no quick-charge stations in the area... yet.

Aerovironment is handling installs of quick charge stations along the I-5 corridor in the next month or two, and ECOtality has a bunch they're putting in around the city; some of the ECOtality folks are in the local LEAF community and have shared the map of planned blinknetwork quick-charger locations on Facebook.

Any chance of posting that map here? I don't have a facebook account and could not find a publicly accessable group for Seattle Leaf Owners.

Back