I wrote an Leaf range analyzer APP for Android

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernie82

Who better to write and App for mileage range info than a Leaf owner who's also a computer data analyst? I wrote the App in Java and it will only work on Android phones and tablets.
It works with or without a GID meter. Actually, I've been getting more accurate info without using my Gid meter. The APP gives:
Distance to LBW, distance to VLBW, distance to Turtle, and the one I like best is, it will tell you what your miles/KWH ratio should be to reach your destination with about 10 miles to spare.
If anyone wants to try it, get back to me. I can attach it to an email and all you need to do is upload it to your Android smart phone or Tablet.
It doesn't require WIFI, Bluetooth, or even your phone to be connected to an airtime provider.
I welcome your feed back and suggestions as to other types of info that you think would be useful.

bernie82 said:
Who better to write and App for mileage range info than a Leaf owner who's also a computer data analyst? I wrote the App in Java and it will only work on Android phones and tablets.
It works with or without a GID meter. Actually, I've been getting more accurate info without using my Gid meter. The APP gives:
Distance to LBW, distance to VLBW, distance to Turtle, and the one I like best is, it will tell you what your miles/KWH ratio should be to reach your destination with about 10 miles to spare.
If anyone wants to try it, get back to me. I can attach it to an email and all you need to do is upload it to your Android smart phone or Tablet.
It doesn't require WIFI, Bluetooth, or even your phone to be connected to an airtime provider.
I welcome your feed back and suggestions as to other types of info that you think would be useful.

Got the app--thank you, Bernie! I actually did an empirical test this afternoon.http://stevecoram.blogspot.com/ (data posted on the blog post)

I'm still trying to figure out which data to put in for the battery capacity-kWh/odometer. Is this the % charge upon starting the trip?

BIGneutrino said:
I'm still trying to figure out which data to put in for the battery capacity-kWh/odometer. Is this the % charge upon starting the trip?

I'm not sure how this program is set up, but from 21kWh usable in a new battery at 70F degrees or warmer, you had about 1.3kWh usable remaining at Very Low Battery. This leaves 19.7kWh available to burn.

If your battery was in fact cold soaked at 42F degrees, then a 1% loss per 4F below 70F is 7% loss, or 21 -1.47 - 1.3 = 18.23kWh.

With 84 miles driven at 4.8 economy, you burned 17.5kWh. That leaves a delta of 0.73kWh, or 3.5% battery degradation in your 6 months or driving.

Your total available energy with a 42F battery and 3.5% degradation is 21 - 0.73 - 1.47 = 18.8kWh.

At 4.8 economy, your total range is 90.24 miles.

Hope this helps.

Apparently one enters manual data into the application?

What data does the program need, and
where do you recommend one get that data?

Do you enter fuel available, kWh per mile, and miles to destination?

Thanks for the effort.

Quite a few members got back to me asking what info the App produces. After entering the requiried data which takes less than a minute to enter, the App gives back: Battery capacity, miles to LBW, miles to VLBW, Miles to turtle, and most importantly, the miles to KWH ratio that will complete your trip with 10 miles to spare. The app does not use Tony Williams chart to produce the data.

Back