Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guy, you are factoring huge gains for the FCEV and little to none for the EVs.
Today, I can travel to either the east or west coast via superchargers.
By the end of the year, I will be able to travel to even more of the US. And by the end of 2015 I will be able to travel to 98% of the US via superchargers.
If I am willing to use slower charging, such as RV parks, public level 2 chargers or 110 outlets, most of those restrictions disappear, even today.
The range of FCEVs is limited to where the hydrogen stations are. I expect we won't see those as wide spread as the superchargers much less the number of public chargers or 110 outlets.
California residents maybe willing to foot the bill for hydrogen stations, I doubt other states will be as willing.

As for apartments, they are starting to install car chargers. Perhaps not many yet, but they are starting. I know of two apartment/condo buildings in Minnesota that have done so. I would be surprised if those are the only two in the nation.

Zythryn said:
On the contrary, as far as range goes, I'm talking about FCEVs that are available this and next year.

Zythryn said:
Today, I can travel to either the east or west coast via superchargers.
By the end of the year, I will be able to travel to even more of the US. And by the end of 2015 I will be able to travel to 98% of the US via superchargers.
If I am willing to use slower charging, such as RV parks, public level 2 chargers or 110 outlets, most of those restrictions disappear, even today.
The range of FCEVs is limited to where the hydrogen stations are. I expect we won't see those as wide spread as the superchargers much less the number of public chargers or 110 outlets.
California residents maybe willing to foot the bill for hydrogen stations, I doubt other states will be as willing.
Sure, we know fuel cell/charging infrastructure is key to either technology's success. California's footing the bill to kick start them, in the expectation that costs will come down to the point that they will be economical (they certainly aren't now). We did the same with BEVs and chargers, along with the federal government. No one is claiming that FCEVs will be widespread in a couple of years; they're still far too expensive. But they will have a reasonably large deployment inside California, which is the 3rd largest state in area as well as the most populous for people and cars, with a wide variety of climate and terrain. In short, I and (I hope) no one else here is assuming that this relatively small-scale deployment of production FCEVs is anything more than a large-scale test.

Even if I had a FCEV now, I know that I can't drive it across the country. OTOH, even if I had a Tesla now, I couldn't drive it to most of the places I'd want to drive it in state, and an FCEV (assuming the range is closer to 400 than 300 miles) has the ability to do that non-stop round trip, in winter. Tesla just opened the Roseville Supercharger, which finally allows Bay Area people in '60s to reach North Tahoe (ca. 180-200 miles and 7,200 feet of climb) without a detour and without having to white knuckle it. But you'd better have somewhere to charge when you're there, or you will be having to eke out the range. And you'd better hope that they don't shut the road down for any prolonged period of time, too.

There are still no Superchargers on the way to Yosemite (167 miles to the Valley from me, 187 to Tuolumne Meadows, and 207 to Lee Vining), and although the eventual Manteca/Lathrop SC will help, you're SoL if you want to cross over to the east side of the Sierra via Tioga (or any other) pass south of Tahoe. Nothing on the SC map for 2014 or 2015 indicates that this will change by the end of that period. But a FCEV could at least get me to Tuolumne Meadows non-stop, and a single refueling station appropriately placed could get me to the east side and back. And so on.

That's why I was so critical of the initial transcontinental SC route, passing as it did not only through areas with tiny populations of people and Teslas, but also largely lacking nearby weekend destinations from major metropolitan areas.

Zythryn said:
As for apartments, they are starting to install car chargers. Perhaps not many yet, but they are starting. I know of two apartment/condo buildings in Minnesota that have done so. I would be surprised if those are the only two in the nation.
Sure, they're a few apartment complexes that are installing chargers, but the numbers will be tiny for a long time. Housing stock typically lasts about 100 years. Unless government makes retrofit of existing multi-family housing units for EV charging mandatory at some point, it will be at least two decades before we see even a small % of MFHU equipped for it. California has made such provisions mandatory for _new_ construction, but again that will take decades to have a significant effect.

At the moment, my 100k+ population city in the EV-supportive Bay Area has exactly 37 public L2s, and the majority of those are unreliable Blinks - a large % are at McDonald's, and a fast-food joint is just about the last place I'd consider L2 to be useful in any case. I know of no apartment complexes in the city that offer L2 charging; there may be a few that allow people to use L1 but I don't know of any. As it happens, the closest L2s to me (Blinks) are a five-block walk; I'd be willing to make that, but how many other people would? And no one has yet figured out how to make public charging profitable except as an advertising expense; Tesla's SCs aren't public.

OTOH, we know that the gas station retail refueling model works; we had the 100th anniversary of the first U.S. gas station last year. Early adopters are more adventurous, but IMO it's far easier to convince mainstream consumers to keep doing almost exactly what they've been doing, than to force them to learn something completely new. As is the case with HEVs, FCEVs with ICE-comparable range, no big range swings due to temperature effects and centralized rapid refueling means no adjustment is necessary to their behavior. People are willing to pay a lot not to have to change. The only question is what the cost and performance differentials are between BEVs and FCEVs, because while people are willing to pay a lot not to change, they aren't willing to pay an unlimited amount. If BEVs provide acceptable performance at acceptable cost (as they currently don't for mainstream buyers) and FCEVs (ultimately) don't, then BEVs will win out. I have no idea which will win, and have no dog in the fight. Nevertheless, I'm convinced that it is far too early in both technologies to pick one as a winner. It took about 25 years for ICEs to defeat BEVs as the universal auto, and we're nowhere near the same level of development for FCEVs/BEVs.

Zythryn said:
And according to science and the many teams working on the tech, Guy's covered it accurately. The reason FCEVs are launching now is that they've crossed the price threshold on the way down, and because the predictions and progress show(s) fuel cell development is going much faster than battery tech.

It's highly likely that it will take much less time for fuel cell cars to be affordable by more drivers than BEVs.

We need to completely remove fossil fuels from our transportation and that means electrification. That includes both BEVs and FCEVs.

AndyH said:
And according to science and the many teams working on the tech, Guy's covered it accurately. The reason FCEVs are launching now is that they've crossed the price threshold on the way down, and because the predictions and progress show(s) fuel cell development is going much faster than battery tech.
That's reaching quite a bit. Let me know when there are two manufacturers selling a FCEV at any price and then we'll talk.

drees said:
AndyH said:
That's reaching quite a bit. Let me know when there are two manufacturers selling a FCEV at any price and then we'll talk.
It's not reaching at all - it's from published observations and if I recall correctly can be found in this thread.

The first vehicles shipped last year in Europe - and there are more scheduled for 2015 model year roll-out.

They're here and they're not going away - welcome to phase 2 of the transition to electric transportation.

edit - time to talk? Here's number 2:

6 May 2014
http://www.business-standard.com/ar...-gets-hydrogen-fuel-cells-114050600729_1.html
Toyota's American office gets hydrogen fuel cells

The first Toyota hydrogen fuel cell cars reach the market next year, but already the company is exploiting the technology to cut costs and carbon emissions at one of its largest office complexes.

GRA said:
I look forward to seeing how the future develops.
So do I. As I have said, I'm sure that hydrogen will find its applications. But frankly, many are selling hydrogen as the end-game when, in fact, BEVs are the end-game for many (most?) personal transportation needs. It seems some may be trying to freeze the market regarding BEVs by holding up a glittery object that is "just down the road".
Zythryn said:
I'm not convinced that CA residents are really willing to pay for this. More likely, some lobbyists for special interests pushed through this bill based on qualitative arguments which avoided the glaring issues that become obvious when you look at hydrogen refueling quantitatively.

I agree with Reg; State governments have rarely if ever done what the residents wanted. there had to be a 80% majority before Pot was legalized in WA State and even with overwhelming odds, the opposition still came relatively close to winning anyway. Now they are using legalized stall tactics but it does not matter now. they are only delaying the inevitable. there is simply too much desire here to stop it now.

unfortunately, very few other issues have that much support so it will decisions will continue to be made without regard to what is actually wanted by the residents of this country

AndyH said:
The first vehicles shipped last year in Europe - and there are more scheduled for 2015 model year roll-out.
All I see are leases. Let me know when I can BUY a FCEV - from at least two different manufacturers. Nearly every manufacturer sells some sort of plug-in today that I can think of.

AndyH said:
edit - time to talk?
Not sure why you're bringing up FC for office buildings when we're talking about vehicles.

The very big elephant in the Hydrogen room continues to be Hydrogen production, distribution, availability and cost. That has NOT kept pace with FC developments...

AndyH said:
The reason FCEVs are launching now is that they've crossed the price threshold on the way down, and because the predictions and progress show(s) fuel cell development is going much faster than battery tech.

TomT said:
The very big elephant in the Hydrogen room continues to be Hydrogen production, distribution, availability and cost. That has NOT kept pace with FC developments...

AndyH said:
The reason FCEVs are launching now is that they've crossed the price threshold on the way down, and because the predictions and progress show(s) fuel cell development is going much faster than battery tech.
It hasn't kept pace WHERE?

Germany's in full-swing to their transition to the Third Industrial Revolution plan - they have their first batch of eight wind- and PV-to-H2 plants under construction right now. This plan has been adopted by the entire EU, individual EU member states and cities. It's also in the works in China. So far only one US city has a TIR plan - San Antonio, TX.

Some of the master-plans are published here:
http://www.thethirdindustrialrevolution.com/masterPlan.cfm

First renewables to H2 plant is live:
http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/Wind-Power-Makes-Hydrogen-for-German-Gas-Grid
The Falkenhagen facility is essentially a way to store wind power. Instead of turning off the turbines at a nearby wind farm when demand is low (as it can be at night, when the wind tends to blow strongest), or using the power to move water up a hill (effective but site-specific and expensive pumped hydro) or charge a battery (expensive), or try to find a buyer for the power far away (requiring costly transmission), the power is used to turn water into hydrogen by electrolysis. The hydrogen is then shot straight into the area’s natural gas system, displacing a fossil fuel.

I absolutely understand that some think this is some kind of government plot - especially our three resident NeoCONs. I absolutely understand that some think H2 simply an outgrowth of the oil industry. I understand why some of the more BEV-partisan see this as competition. But we must must step back and look at the real reason for ZEVs!

Don't fight hydrogen or FCEVs - make damn sure the H2 generator is connected to wind and solar! Lobby, email politicians, get involved in local politics - the only reason politicians can so freely follow their corporate master's money is because the rest of us are sitting on our hands.

drees said:
Not sure why you're bringing up FC for office buildings when we're talking about vehicles.
I understand - it can be difficult some times. Don't worry - just go about your normal life. You'll see soon enough. ;)

Great, when I move to Germany, I'll be sure to check how that is working out for them... For the moment, I am living in the U.S. and my statement stands! :roll:

AndyH said:
Germany's in full-swing to their transition to the Third Industrial Revolution plan

TomT said:
Great, when I move to Germany, I'll be sure to check out how that is working for them... For the moment, I am living in the U.S. and my statement stands! :roll:

AndyH said:
Germany's in full-swing to their transition to the Third Industrial Revolution plan
Of COURSE it does, Tom, I expect nothing less. You and Drees get the blue pill. We'll wake you when the USA has caught up with the rest of the world. Or, well, we won't because we won't be around. Whatever.

AndyH said:
I absolutely understand that some think this is some kind of government plot.

I have to say that my main exposures to Hydrogen powered vehicles usually come by way of discovering that the California Air Resources Board has taken steps that slow (or, infamously, kill) BEV adoption in favor of the much-superior Hydrogen cars. And, man it's getting to where you can't hardly turn around without seeing another H2 car and its drippy tailpipe. They're everywhere! ;)

More government plotting, via GCC:

"DOE issues request for information on fuel cell research and development needs"

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/05/20140507-fcto.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Sandia Labs and NREL leading new DOE hydrogen infrastructure project; H2FIRST"

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/05/20140501-h2first.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's GCC's article detailing the Toyota/FirstElement deal, which includes some more info including where the stations will be (and that two of them will be totally renewable):

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/05/20140502-tmsh2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Station locations are as follows:

"FirstElement is planning stations in Campbell, Coalinga, Costa Mesa, Hayward, Laguna Niguel, Lake Forest, La Canada Flintridge, Long Beach, Mill Valley, San Diego, San Jose, Santa Barbara, Saratoga, South Pasadena, South San Francisco, Redwood City and Truckee."

I'll leave it to someone from SoCal to comment on the locations there, but I mostly like the Bay Area, Coalinga and Truckee ones. Weekend trips out of the Bay Area north and south on U.S. 101 are reasonably well covered, as well as SW on SR 17 to the Santa Cruz area and northeast on I-80 to North Tahoe/Reno. They could use stations in South Lake Tahoe
and one on the way to Yosemite.

Nubo said:
AndyH said:
I absolutely understand that some think this is some kind of government plot.

I have to say that my main exposures to Hydrogen powered vehicles usually come by way of discovering that the California Air Resources Board has taken steps that slow (or, infamously, kill) BEV adoption in favor of the much-superior Hydrogen cars. And, man it's getting to where you can't hardly turn around without seeing another H2 car and its drippy tailpipe. They're everywhere! ;)
I'm familiar with the maneuvers behind the CARB hearings as reported by various authors and documentary producers.

Keep in mind that many of you have hydrogen generation and storage equipment in your cars now and have for years - what's an NiMH cell, anyway, but a device that stores hydrogen in a metal hydride until the energy's needed to move the Prius in EV mode?

The oil industry isn't behind the Third Industrial Revolution. The fossil fuel industry isn't behind Germany's transition to wind-H2 storage. It's not behind Reinventing Fire or demonstration projects in the US that make fertilizer from wind power.

You can tell that because they are FIGHTING the TIR and Reinventing Fire and fossil fuel divestment and the IPCC and the US climate change assessment.

I was under the mistaken impression that people here - if nowhere else - were interested in putting fossil fueled vehicles into museums. But even this thread - not only about the delivery of FCEV and FCHV, and not only about the 'plan' to deploy a fuel network, but about money released and fuel stations being installed - is labeled negatively.

Of COURSE we should pay for this! Our fuel taxes are collected specifically to pay for roads. Aviation fuel taxes are collected to feed the airways trust fund to upgrade airports. Alternative fuel money SHOULD be used to deploy alternative fueling infrastructure. Seriously - we're ALL paying for pollution - if we're going to pay for it anyway, we might as well get some benefit - especially if it stuffs the pollution in a coffin rather than our kids!

Do you people want to get off fossil fuels or not?

ngtpic.jpg

AndyH said:
Of COURSE it does, Tom, I expect nothing less. You and Drees get the blue pill. We'll wake you when the USA has caught up with the rest of the world.
Why don't you leave the personal jabs out of it and insist on being abrasive when people disagree with you?

TonyWilliams said:
AndyH said:
Do you people want to get off fossil fuels or not?
The obvious, and glaring disconnect to your hydrogen soliloqui is that pure battery electric cars do exactly that.
Not just that, but that EVs are a cheaper and more efficient way to do it than FCEVs.

We'll find out soon enough how well FCEVs do in real life.

Back