Hybrid driver got 120 miles (interstate)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaveng

I own a Honda Insight which was rated ~65 highway by the EPA, however I regularly get 89-to-90 mpg using hypermiling techniques.

Using the same approach with the Leaf, I took it on I-210 for a short cruise. I was able to squeeze-out 120 miles from the battery pack. When the range dropped to 0, then I pulled into the nearest charger.... I might have been able to reach 130 until the car completely stopped

Long ago I done 105 miles from 80% driving similar speed, which translate to 130 from 100%. I believe someone reported in even higher miles from 100% a while back. It is amazing how much you can squeeze using energy saving techniques and how much weather affect efficiency of fuel efficient vehicles.

Yes indeed..... most energy gets wasted from air resistance passing over the metal, so just slowing down helps a lot. Sometime in the future when oil costs $50 a gallon people will slow down on purpose to try to save cash... but for right now they'd rather speed.

Interstate speed sign said 40 to 65, so I was within spec :)

I heard that in Finland one guy got 220km (=137 miles) with his Leaf. My range estimation has never above 150km (=93 miles) because I have too much fun driving and winning traffic light acceleration races (for silent engine noise you get +50 style points) :)

USSValor said:
For the dumb people on here like myself what's a "hypermiling technique"?
Not a dumb question at all.

There are lots of articles on hypermiling - Google is your friend. But briefly, it is driving to gain the most mpg (in our case, mpkWh) possible. Such things as avoiding the use of friction brakes, drafting large vehicles (be super careful), coasting, slowing down, especially going up hill, and on and on.

ebill3 said:
USSValor said:
Not a dumb question at all.

There are lots of articles on hypermiling - Google is your friend. But briefly, it is driving to gain the most mpg (in our case, mpkWh) possible. Such things as avoiding the use of friction brakes, drafting large vehicles (be super careful), coasting, slowing down, especially going up hill, and on and on.
And the most important part is drive slowly enough to attract road rage. Most of the techniques that make any significant difference are frankly inconsiderate to others on the road, such as often massively going below the speed limit.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
And the most important part is drive slowly enough to attract road rage. Most of the techniques that make any significant difference are frankly inconsiderate to others on the road, such as often massively going below the speed limit.
If you're drafting a large truck, you're less likely to be tailgated! ;)

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
the most important part is drive slowly enough to attract road rage. Most of the techniques that make any significant difference are frankly inconsiderate to others on the road, such as often massively going below the speed limit.
In South California even obeying the speed limit gets you the middle finger...... I've never met so many rude drivers. They give the finger, run me off the road, bump-draft me on I 5, curse at me out the window because I left a 2 car gap, and in one case even stopped in front of me & walked to my car to "chew" me out because he thought my 70 pace was too slow.

Even at Disneyland I had some califonian push me against the wall and say, "Stop looking at my girl." (She was ugly; definitely not looking.) I can't wait til my next job so I can move away from SoCal and its highway gun shootings/ jerk drivers :D

Thanks for the hypermiling link! I read it over and I'm still a little confused as it mostly talks about hybrids, but I will read it again later.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
"Most" - being the operative word of your philosophy. I deliberately start work early (5am) . Getting on the road around 4am - and giving myself an hour to do the 20 miles (majority on surface streets) means very low traffic on the road. That said, I HAVE been pulled over for driving too slow (30mph in a 40mph ... and accelerating off lights slowly) ... which ironically isn't a vehicle code violation of any kind. But cops WILL presume you're drunk from after the bars closing. ;)
No - I wouldn't drive 30 in the Interstate ... but 55? OH YEA.

theaveng said:
between 45 to 50

Mileage isn't worth dying for.

A semitrailer at 55mph may not be able to swerve around you easily towing 80 000 pounds.

I couldn't care less if it's legal.

Go with the flow of traffic.

USSValor said:

The slow drivers that hold up city traffic, miss lights and generally try to eek every mile out of a car all at the cost of the flow of traffic, excessive idling from missed lights, and so on. Also those that fixate on putting their cars in neutral constantly and obsessively wearing the paint off the plastic shift knob. The same folks often unplug every device in the home when they go to bed and worry about the parasitic loads on extension cords with nothing connected. They likely have stationary bikes with generators to run blenders and small appliances. If there were holes in the bottom of their cars they would likely push with their feet if possible. Of course that is only a generalization. :lol:

USSValor said:
Ahh, got it now...
More on hypermiling...
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2007/01/guy-can-get-59-mpg-plain-old-accord-beat-punk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Wayne Gerdes runs cleanmpg.com. I have met him briefly before. He's the hypermiling man. All the major automakers know him and often invite him to try out their high mpg cars before they ship.
http://corporate.ford.com/our-company/investors/investor-news-detail/pr-fusion-hybrid-averages-815-mpg-30289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - was an example of a Ford publicity stunt where they invited him
http://web.archive.org/web/20090123174255/http://post-gazette.com/pg/05220/550484.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - notice he's one of the drivers
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=342330#post342330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - watch the 2nd video. :D That poor woman got an earful. Too bad he spoiled the result in the title. I haven't had time to watch the 1st video yet.

Back