How to turn on "charging interrupted" notification Carwings

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnr

One really handy feature offered by Carwings is the car can send you a text message or email in the event that charging stops (for example, if it gets unplugged or trips a circuit breaker). It can also tell you when charging has completed. The notification will include the charge level so you know if you have enough energy to get to your destination. I couldn't figure out how to do this, but davewill and planet4ever helped me figure it out (thanks so much guys!!). So, here's how to do it...

First, log in to your Carwings account in the owners portal website. Make sure to check the box for "vehicle status":

carwings.png

Then, using the touch screen in the car, turn on the "Send Charging Status to Data Center" option:

chargeset1.jpg

Now the car will send you a message if it gets unplugged while charging. ;)

(Edited to change this from a cry for help to a helpful tutorial. LOL :p )

As davewill said on the other thread, you are misinterpreting that "unplugged" business. That would be used to have the car tell you, "Hey, you are sitting at one of your usual charging locations, but you forgot to plug in."

If you are charging (anywhere) and someone unplugs you, you should get the "charging stopped" massage controlled by the "send charging status" option that you were able to turn on. I'm assuming you didn't have it on before. If that is true, you should now be set.

Ray

The remaining problem:

Carwings sends Charging Complete only when charging is "finished" at 100%.

Carwings sends Charging Stopped if charging is stopped by a timer "finishing" charging at 80%, OR if charging is interrupted (like by being unplugged, breaker tripping, etc.) before it is finished charging.

So, if you are timer-charging to 80% and get the "Charging Stopped" message, you do not know if it "finished" or was "interrupted", right?

Even by checking the LEAF's Status, you only know the State Of Charge (SOC) approximately. The highest bar shown might only be half full, or the LEAF can be a half bar fuller that it appears.

garygid said:
So, if you are timer-charging to 80% and get the "Charging Stopped" message, you do not know if it "finished" or was "interrupted", right?

Even by checking the LEAF's Status, you only know the State Of Charge (SOC) approximately. The highest bar shown might only be half full, or the LEAF can be a half bar fuller that it appears.

I think that is correct. With "Charging Stopped" you won't know if it stopped by timer or by interruption. So if you're stopped at 10bars because of interruptions, you won't know, but any other capacity, you would know it was your neighbor's kid.

garygid said:

Checking status will tell you if the car was unplugged. Also, the Charging Stopped notification includes the number of bars you have so if it didn't say 10 of 12, you'd know something was wrong.

planet4ever said:
As davewill said on the other thread, you are misinterpreting that "unplugged" business. That would be used to have the car tell you, "Hey, you are sitting at one of your usual charging locations, but you forgot to plug in."

If you are charging (anywhere) and someone unplugs you, you should get the "charging stopped" massage controlled by the "send charging status" option that you were able to turn on. I'm assuming you didn't have it on before. If that is true, you should now be set.

Ray
Thanks for the clarification. Enabling "send charging status to data center" was all I had to do. Now I'm getting the notifications! :D

Now I've edited the original post to help whoever else might be struggling with this. ;)

I have the "Vehicle Status" and "Plug-in Reminder" boxes checked, but I get no notification when the car gets unplugged.

I get notification when the car doesn't get plugged in at all.

It appears that "Vehicle Status" only sends notification when I CHECK THE VEHICLE STATUS, not when the status actually changes.

NOGASHOLE said:
I have the "Vehicle Status" and "Plug-in Reminder" boxes checked, but I get no notification when the car gets unplugged.
You need to check the "Charge Complete" box to get the notification when the car gets unplugged.

... Also, the Charging Stopped notification includes the number of bars you have so if it didn't say 10 of 12, you'd know something was wrong.[/quote]

We're set for 80% charge, but I haven't received detail like "10 of 12" on Charging Stopped texts. Is it included automatically for you or do you have to reply? Or maybe it doesn't indicate if the 80% charge was accomplished and only if the 80% wasn't acheived and interrupted? TIA.

So "Charge Complete" indicates that the charge was stopped for any reason, not just if it completed charging. I would rather not get a text at 1AM telling me the car is completely charged. I would like to get a text if some dope at work unplugs my my car.

NOGASHOLE said:
So "Charge Complete" indicates that the charge was stopped for any reason, not just if it completed charging. I would rather not get a text at 1AM telling me the car is completely charged. I would like to get a text if some dope at work unplugs my my car.
Maybe EMail notifications would work better for you, then. BTW, my experience is that you get "Charging Stopped" if the charge ends and you have less than 12 bars, and you'll get "Charging Complete" if you have 12 bars, even if it's an unplug.

NOGASHOLE said:
Unfortunately that's the limitation. It's not a problem for me since at night my phone is downstairs and I don't hear it, but I did get a text in the middle of the night a few weekends ago when my wife and I were on a trip and the cell phone was right next to the bed in the hotel room.
I suppose you could turn the phone off or silence it at night.
Or, only turn that notification on when you know you will be charging in public.
Yeah, I know those aren't great alternatives.

davewill said:
BTW, my experience is that you get "Charging Stopped" if the charge ends and you have less than 12 bars, and you'll get "Charging Complete" if you have 12 bars, even if it's an unplug.

So they do send a separate message, but there is only one checkbox on the CARWINGS notifications page that covers both messages.

Thanks for the email suggestion as well, but I already use that option to backdoor my no-short-code-getting-cheapo cell phone service.

Back