How to Pre-heat the car using shore power 2012 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can turn the car on while it is plugged in and turn on the cabin heat manually. I forget the exact steps--try putting foot on brake and then press start button. The car will not go into READY mode because it is plugged in, but I think it will let you turn on climate control and draw power from the battery for the hot water tank system. The onboard charger will draw power from the wall and send it to the battery as long as the car is plugged in. You could also set a climate control timer on the navigation screen.

GerryAZ said:
You could also set a climate control timer on the navigation screen.
This is the only way to do it "remotely" without EV Connect...or you could install an OVMS system (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32715)

GerryAZ said:
You can turn the car on while it is plugged in and turn on the cabin heat manually. I forget the exact steps--try putting foot on brake and then press start button. The car will not go into READY mode because it is plugged in, but I think it will let you turn on climate control and draw power from the battery for the hot water tank system. The onboard charger will draw power from the wall and send it to the battery as long as the car is plugged in. You could also set a climate control timer on the navigation screen.

Thank you for your advice. I'll give it a try in a few.
Best Regards
Dave

CWO4Mann said:
GerryAZ said:

Best Regards
Dave
The easiest way to tell if the heater is on is to push the blue E? button and then push the energy management? OSD button and look at the HVAC energy draw. If the heat comes on you'll see anywhere from 1-6kw drawn, if the heat is off you won't really see any energy drawn. Note if you're talking about having the heat come on a particular time, unattended that is done through the climate control timer settings. The above instructions are for when you want to turn the car ON and have the heat come on while hooked to shore power. Note the heater can draw up to 6kw and the '11/'12 Leafs only have a 3.8kw charger(16a@240v) so even with the maximum EVSE you still might lose a percent or two of battery charge during very cold weather preheating.

jjeff said:
CWO4Mann said:
GerryAZ said:

Best Regards
Dave
The easiest way to tell if the heater is on is to push the blue E? button and then push the energy management? OSD button and look at the HVAC energy draw. If the heat comes on you'll see anywhere from 1-6kw drawn, if the heat is off you won't really see any energy drawn. Note if you're talking about having the heat come on a particular time, unattended that is done through the climate control timer settings. The above instructions are for when you want to turn the car ON and have the heat come on while hooked to shore power. Note the heater can draw up to 6kw and the '11/'12 Leafs only have a 3.8kw charger(16a@240v) so even with the maximum EVSE you still might lose a percent or two of battery charge during very cold weather preheating.

Thanks to all for giving me this advice. After 10+ years of driving the Leaf I've finally figured out how to get it warmed up. LOL
very best to all.Regards,
Dave

Back