How to Maximize Range?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
Did you get a custom paint job? A wrap? Please share a picture - I'd love to see the Leaf in green!

Yeah, it's a wrap.

This picture makes it look a little bluer than it actually is because of the white balance.
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...0_10152173127192532_3805464361953439648_o.jpg
(Edit: image was huge, so made it a link instead)

The guys at Elite Auto Films installed the wrap.

You can see it on their Facebook page too

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=726972087346738

mctom987 said:
Mostly preference. If you make heavy use of the A/C or heater, ECO mode reduces the output power, which obviously can extend range. Otherwise, D/B modes are only different in the amount of regen applied with no throttle...
This is not really true. In addition to the amount of regen applied, Eco and D vary considerably in how the accelerator is mapped. Eco has constant power mapping: a particular pedal position will give the same kW, including zero — equivalent to neutral — as long as you hold it at that position. In D the pedal is acceleration mapped and makes precise speed control and efficient driving much more difficult. However, people who like "spirited", as opposed to efficient, driving tend to prefer the zippy feel of D. For cars with cruise control, using D while in cruise can be a bit more efficient because of the reduced regen while on undulating terrain (on level terrain it shouldn't matter much).

Am I alone in thinking that having Eco and B modes made things way more complicated than they need be? Perhaps it isn't as bad as it sounds once you use it, but from a 2012 driver's perspective, I don't look forward to the added "complexity".

And I suspect I'm also not the only one to feel that of all colors that Nissan offered for the LEAF, Green would seem to have been the most appropriate. Very nice look to that car!

dgpcolorado said:
mctom987 said:
Mostly preference. If you make heavy use of the A/C or heater, ECO mode reduces the output power, which obviously can extend range. Otherwise, D/B modes are only different in the amount of regen applied with no throttle...
This is not really true. In addition to the amount of regen applied, Eco and D vary considerably in how the accelerator is mapped. Eco has constant power mapping: a particular pedal position will give the same kW, including zero — equivalent to neutral — as long as you hold it at that position. In D the pedal is acceleration mapped and makes precise speed control and efficient driving much more difficult. However, people who like "spirited", as opposed to efficient, driving tend to prefer the zippy feel of D. For cars with cruise control, using D while in cruise can be a bit more efficient because of the reduced regen while on undulating terrain (on level terrain it shouldn't matter much).

You are talking about different things. For the MY13 and beyond, Nissan added B mode in addition to D and ECO. Basically you are correct for D/ECO, but mctom987 was talking about D/B. He is correct that acceleration is the same in D/B mode as D mode. To get the equivalent of ECO mode in MY12 and prior, you actually need to put the car in ECO/B mode. Basically Nissan separated the feel of acceleration and regen into different settings. So you can mix and match. Clear as mud? Test drive a MY14 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

With ECO on/off there is a huge difference in throttle response, but if you have a feather foot, having ECO off could make little to no impact. Personally, I turn ECO on just because the throttle response seems a little more sane. Pushing the throttle in 1/10 and taking off like a rocket is silly.

But yes, as GetOffYourGas said, I was talking about the MY13/14 options.

Back