How to get the best range from highway driving.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, can we end the tailing discussion. Up the tire pressure, drive slower, limit power use in up hills even if it means slowing down a little, and no a/c, heat, fan, lights, windows up, and screen display all the way down.

Tailing a truck actually hurts his/her milage(in a very small way). Nothing comes for free.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Tailing a truck actually hurts his/her milage(in a very small way). Nothing comes for free.
Possibly. Maybe even probably, but depending on the aerodynamics of the tailing vehicle, it could actually *improve* the truck's mileage.

TickTock said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Possibly. Maybe even probably, but depending on the aerodynamics of the tailing vehicle, it could actually *improve* the truck's mileage.

It's not worth the risk plus more states are starting to take this very seriously. Space around a vehicle (especially a 18-wheeler) must be maintained and anyone caught encroaching on another vehicles spaced will get stopped by troopers.

i draft every day. Not too close, and never semi's. I have two uncles who drive truck and said they hate it. As you approach the other car you can hear a subtle change in the wind, and use two plus bubbles instead of four to keep up to speed. The best cars seem to be the ones that are newer, and the same overall size as the Leaf. Chevy equinox, newer Volvos, and caravans are the best. If its too big you can't see around it and thats not safe. The other day i traveled 23 miles and added 3 miles (71 to 74 when i got there) to my range, by regenerating on the downhills. I leave it in B mode because i can feel the regen better and quicker. I only regen one bubble as to not drift away from the other car too quickly. if you get up above 65 you get the benefits of extended range but can rarely regen as you drop back too quickly. as i hit traffic the other day. i found that letting go fully of the "go Pedal" fully quickly stopped me as well.

To effectively draft at highway speeds you are going to have to be FAR too close to be safe, way closer than the 2 second rule. If someone is running that close to me, they are going to get a dose of my brake lights and/or taking my foot off the accelerator and slowing down to get them to back off...

Tatertime said:
i draft every day. Not too close, and never semi's.

Drive 55mph actual and if on relatively flat ground, you can drive 100 miles. I've done it twice with about 86%-87% capacity.

Back