How much for a used Blink EVSE (not HQ)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoelH

The guy I just bought my LEAF (2011 SL) from also wants to sell the Blink EVSE he got through the EV Project (and now owns). He says he's had no issues with it (I've browsed the boards here and see there's a wiiiide spectrum of experiences with this unit ;)
Neither of us have found many comps for a used unit on eBay or CL.
Any thoughts?

You might offer $200, but I'm not sure I'd even offer that. The problem is that although it is nominally a 30a EVSE, there's a problem with the J772 handles when people try to run them at higher amperages. They tend to burn up, which is REALLY bad. If the handle has been replaced, then I'd say go as high as $300, but it's not clear right now whether Blink will ever make good on that fault.

You should ask him to pay you to take it. You will have no warranty and will spend more to fix it when it breaks than it would cost for a more reliable model new. Also, the company might not even be in business long enough to repair your unit. Buy new, save the headaches.

jspearman said:
You should ask him to pay you to take it. You will have no warranty and will spend more to fix it when it breaks than it would cost for a more reliable model new. Also, the company might not even be in business long enough to repair your unit. Buy new, save the headaches.
yep.. see if he'll give it to you along with $75.. that's a reasonable deal.

I would pay for shipping if he includes a new cable assembly and an Open EVSE for the inside.

LOL. Thanks everybody. Maybe I'll just show him this thread. He's going to test the market (eBay), then if no takers I said to ask me again. Considering that he paid nothing for it, I suppose it's not that unreasonable to offer to take it off his hands for free.

JoelH said:
Considering that he paid nothing for it, I suppose it's not that unreasonable to offer to take it off his hands for free.

Exactly. He got it off the taxpayer, and now wants to profit from it.

I personally wouldn't waste the time to get it, even if free. There are TONS of dependable units out there. Get the portable "extension cord", that should be in the trunk in a black container, modified for 240 volts and 16 amps.

About $300, and it will do EXACTLY the same job as a Blink on a 16 amps LEAF (all 2011 and 2012 LEAFs, and some 2013 LEAF-S models), except it won't fail and leave you stranded.

http://www.EVSEupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OK, call me a n00b if you will, but there's an up to $1000 tax credit for installing one of these things? :shock:

F the used Blink then.

<heads to the boards to find out what's the best level 2 EVSE to buy for my situation...>

My Blink never failed to charge in two and a half years. It had communication issues until I put it on wired network. The screen died once, but it still charged the cars. It has been charging two cars for almost one year. :D

How much I would pay for a used one is a different issue. Since some people have had issues with it, I would likely go for a more reliable brand.

camasleaf, thanks for the input. The only reason I've really considered it is that he told me (and I have no cause to distrust) that he's had the same experience as you. One question: Is the network connection required for the thing to charge? Seems like that (and the J1772 handle failing under higher current) are the major issues. I don't really care about the network functionality (unless of course it's needed for the unit to work).

JoelH said:
... Seems like that (and the J1772 handle failing under higher current) are the major issues. I don't really care about the network functionality (unless of course it's needed for the unit to work).
No, it will work without the network connection...and even if the electronics gave out, you can either convert it to OpenEVSE, or disconnect the main logic board to get it to act as a dumb EVSE. If it weren't for the overheating issue, it would be solid enough to buy.

Back