How much do tires effect range?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctuffli

I have a 2011 Leaf and have been averaging 5+ M/KWh over the last few weeks. Had the tires replaced a couple of days ago with "generic" tires, and I'm now struggling to get over 4 M/KWh. It seems like other factors are the same (weather, commute route, etc), with the main difference being the tires. Could they be effecting the range this much?

ctuffli said:
I have a 2011 Leaf and have been averaging 5+ M/KWh over the last few weeks. Had the tires replaced a couple of days ago with "generic" tires, and I'm now struggling to get over 4 M/KWh. It seems like other factors are the same (weather, commute route, etc), with the main difference being the tires. Could they be effecting the range this much?

I regularly achieved 4.4 mi/kWh (in summer) with the original Bridgestone tires that came with the car.

I replaced them with a set of Goodyears that the tire store assured me were developed specifically for the Prius and hybrids as they were the lowest rolling resistance and my efficiency immediately dropped to 4.2 mi/kWh. Okay, not as dramatic a jump as you, but you went with a "generic" tire whereas I went with a brand name tire specifically designed for efficiency. By the way, in addition to losing some efficiency, I've been very unhappy with those tires. I will definitely try to get back to the factory tire when these are worn out.

Also check your pressure. You'd think that the pressure would be fine on a new set of tires, but I gained 0.4 mi/kWh in the winter just by inflating to 41psi (which is a bit over I know).

Definitely! I dropped from 4.4miles/kWh to 3.8 when I first installed my new set of "low rolling resistance" tires.
Full review forthcoming...

ctuffli said:
Could they be effecting the range this much?

Absolutely. There's lots of threads on this, but I replaced the original Ecopias with Michelin Defenders and experienced a similar drop-off. However, the tires wear/ride so much better it was worth it...plus the m/kWh improves a bit once you put a few thousand miles on them. Keeping them inflated to 40 psi helps as well.

ctuffli said:
I had the exact same experience. Folks have reported that mileage goes up on the Ecopia's as they wear. Mine were pretty close to bald and I was routinely getting mid 5s m/kwh.

I did not replace with low rolling resistance tires. I bought Uniroyal Tiger Paw which are inexpensive, fairly good handling, fairly tough, pretty long lasting tires. But mileage since immediately dropped at least 20%, getting low 4s, sometimes even 3s. I saw 5s for short periods of time but overall it killed my average.

So, bottom line, yes, it apparently makes a big difference.

I like to think of a the Leaf as a runner, either running with very light thin racing shoes (good LRR tires) or trying to run with winter boots (snow tires) on or maybe some nice office shoes (off the shelf "good" tires) It is amazing how much of a difference the tires can make.

Wow! Good to know this has such a large impact. As people contend with battery degradation, a bad choice in replacement tire can compound the range issues.

BTW - I know lot's of brands offer LRR tires. Is there any objective measurement of tire efficiency that one could use when considering which tire to go with? I've found measurements that supposedly assess traction (i.e., stopping ability), speed rating and durability. But haven't seen anything addressing efficiency.

Perhaps there is something better than the factory tire that people should consider? Or is best bet simply to insist on getting the same as the factory as Nissan already put the best tire on there to maximize range?

DarthPuppy said:
Perhaps there is something better than the factory tire that people should consider? Or is best bet simply to insist on getting the same as the factory as Nissan already put the best tire on there to maximize range?

After all is said and done, it's basically a trade-off between efficiency and longevity. You can have one or the other but not both. I went for tires that don't wear out after 20k miles, and am OK with the decision after 10k miles or so.

Even if you replace with the exact same OEM tire the new soft thick rubber will hurt your range compared to the old hard bald tires.
Same effect on all cars but people don't notice as much with 350+ miles range.

smkettner said:
Even if you replace with the exact same OEM tire the new soft thick rubber will hurt your range compared to the old hard bald tires.
Same effect on all cars but people don't notice as much with 350+ miles range.
Very good point. It really is when you are dealing with limited range that you are going to notice this type of impact. So until BEVs become more mainstream, I'm guessing there isn't going to be meaningful measures/ratings as the general consumer doesn't really care about this aspect.

Stanton said:
After all is said and done, it's basically a trade-off between efficiency and longevity. You can have one or the other but not both. I went for tires that don't wear out after 20k miles, and am OK with the decision after 10k miles or so.
Not always. I've got 20k miles on my Discount Tire Road Hugger GT ECO tires (Kumho rebrands). Efficiency is still not up to where the Ecopias ever were (except maybe when those were new), and they've got 10k miles left at most on them - they've lasted a similar amount of time as the EP422s. Granted, my commute now does involve more backroads than it did, but they're still wearing faster than I expected.

dm33 said:
I had the exact same experience. Folks have reported that mileage goes up on the Ecopia's as they wear. Mine were pretty close to bald and I was routinely getting mid 5s m/kwh.
Not surprising given what http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=177 says.

I went from the original 16" Ecopias to some 17" tires that were a bit more performance oriented. Here are quotes from my initial experience:
Drove to work this morning, and boy was that an eye-opener! I was expecting a reduction in range, but it felt like I was hitting a head-wind the whole time. With the charge I had left, I thought I could make the trip to work (30 miles) at 65 mph with no problem. I started out at 65, but quickly dropped to 50mph as I saw how quickly I was depleting the battery. I made it, but I was deep into VLBW (about 14 gids left - thanks again Leaf Spy!). I know a lot of that is due to the wider, stickier tires, but I hope I get some of that back when the tires wear in a bit more.
It was over a 20% drop! I can get about 5.0 miles/kWh on my normal commute when I'm taking it easy. With these wheels & tires, I was only getting 3.8 miles/kWh.

If I recall, the US was *supposed* to implement testing/rating of LRR tires a few years ago, but it got postponed, maybe even cancelled. I find that very irritating, especially when good mileage is becoming more important on many other cars besides EV's. I know that when I replaced the original tires with Michelins, the mileage dropped quite a bit, but partially came back after about 3,000 miles. Its soon going to be time to replace them again, and I could really use a recommendation. What is the "factory equivalent"?

ctuffli said:
As others have already said, new tires take some time to break in for better mileage. Another tire experience here at this other Leaf forum that might have some good info.
http://nissanleaf.guru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40

Back