How many early buyers are still using Carwings?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking about buying a Leaf. Is it worth it to pay about $3000 more for the SV in order to have the Carwings app? I am primarily interested in controlling the climate control remotely. I know the S has some kind of built in timer to turn on the climate control on a schedule but I assume it is much less flexible/convenient than the app? Thanks!

vvk said:
I am thinking about buying a Leaf. Is it worth it to pay about $3000 more for the SV in order to have the Carwings app? I am primarily interested in controlling the climate control remotely. I know the S has some kind of built in timer to turn on the climate control on a schedule but I assume it is much less flexible/convenient than the app? Thanks!

Not just for that, no. Still uses 2G. 2G is still scheduled for phase-out (AFAIK).

For other features over the S I would, but then I would be more likely to go for a SL over the SV.

Still use it on a weekly basis. I wouldn't recommend anyone get a Leaf without the center console/NAV system (and everything that comes with), but that's just me.

FYI...the Carwings App no longer updates after you request an update unless you close out of the app and relaunch it. In fact, you no longer get the in-app confirmation that the update has completed. This is on an iPad 2 with iOS 8.4.1. It still works as expected on my phone with iOS 7.1.2.

mwalsh said:
FYI...the Carwings App no longer updates after you request an update unless you close out of the app and relaunch it. In fact, you no longer get the in-app confirmation that the update has completed. This is on an iPad 2 with iOS 8.4.1. It still works as expected on my phone with iOS 7.1.2.
Still works for me on android.

Stanton said:
Still use it on a weekly basis. I wouldn't recommend anyone get a Leaf without the center console/NAV system (and everything that comes with), but that's just me.
To be a contrarian, on my 2011, I've never used anything on the center nav console except by accident, and was frustrated by my lack of familiarity and inability to shut navigation off.

I use a smartphone for any nav needs...

Perhaps these are exceptons: Rear view camera, and I use the energy center to tell me my usage rate once in a while, but now with leaf spy, don't bother with that either.

As a matter of fact, I've wondered if there is an easy way to dump it and upgrade to a better sound system that doesn't make me roll through the XM that I never use...

Carwings I use the occasional check status, climate control on (rare), and start charge (really rarely).

mwalsh said:

That's funny -- my iPhone 5s has iOS 8.4.1 and it still works; Verizon and all the other phone carriers have also pushed out iOS 9 but we're still testing our company apps with it; wouldn't imagine Carwings would care but something to check later -- the 'full' app (showing you against the world on miles/kWh, etc.) still works using Firefox browser and appears now its only 3 days behind (perhaps in anticipation of its move) as some times its over a week behind and eventually catches up. I was still using the smart phone version for pre-heat, pre-cool but lately that hasn't worked so set it in the car using the on board timer, haven't really had the time to do any troubleshooting as to why its not working yet ... also, there are times when Carwings shows my climate control is 'on' but its not so not sure what's going on ... it also does drop the connection but just hitting refresh typically will reconnect it; all in all, it needs a rework ... one thing related to EV's that's an app via smartphone that seems to work quite well is the ChargePoint 'start charging'; had to use it as the RFID card provided just didn't want to turn on the charging station and was cool to see the charger 'unlock' and allow me to start charging

iOS 8.4.1 on Verizon. Still works. Use it more or less twice a week to check charge levels when charging at work L2 Chargepoint chargers. so I can go move when done and not sit there taking a charging space and not charging. Very handy indeed to be a better EV user. Also use it more in Summer when remotely running A/C. Pretty cool. pun intended.

Curt

Back