How long will/did you keep your LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long will/did you keep your LEAF?

• Do not own or lease/Less than one year/Wrecked/Other

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 1 Year

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • 3 Years (Standard lease and bumper-to-bumper duration)

Votes: 41 26.5%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • 5 Years

Votes: 13 8.4%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 7 Years

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 8 Years (Battery and/or extended warranty)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • 9-10 Years

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • 11-15 Years

• 16-20 Years

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 21+ Years

• Total voters
I picked 5 years. I will hit my second year of ownership in three weeks and just passed 30k miles. I survived 23 months where the LEAF was my only car, and while limiting, I am thrilled that it will be more than two years since I last had to fill up a car at a gas station.

I did just buy a VOLT, but will continue to commute in the LEAF as long as I can pick up a little charging at work so I can make it back home.

2 years, my lease is that long, but I picked the standard lease option instead.

As things stand now at the end of 2 years I'll lease another one. Would consider buying another one used, but only if I know what battery replacement costs will be. Buy out on mine is too high to consider buying out.

Kept our 2012 LEAF SL from February 2012 through September 2023, so 11½ years. Purchased for $40k, sold for $2.8k. At sale it showed 7 capacity bars, had an actual range of about 30 miles in town with 100% charging, and a paltry 16,500 miles total. The LEAF was our first EV and we learned a lot from it. But the battery degradation was shocking to me. It wasn’t bad enough to meet either the 5- nor 8-year warranties, but certainly bad enough to limit the car’s usefulness to running very local errands.

We kept our 2018 S for three years. The reason we traded it is because the local dealer wanted it so badly that he gave us an absurdly good deal on a 2023 SV. There was a short window when dealers were desperate for used cars in good condition and we took advantage of it. We expect to keep the 2023 more than three years. The one motive for trading it may eventually be the Chademo problem.

I selected 4 years because the 2011 was totaled by someone hitting it from behind while I was stopped at a traffic light after about 3-1/2 years. I drove the 2015 for about 4-1/2 years before trading it for the 2019. I traded for the 2019 Plus to get the larger battery, more powerful motor, and features that were missing on the 2015. I plan to keep the 2019 SL Plus for a long time.

2016SL 5 years only because I crashed it, Replaced it with a '22 SV+ which I'll keep for at least 7-8 years. I tend to drive cars into the ground.

Back