How long does it stay "Pending"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadburner440

So I have been anxiously watching the Leaf site for some signs of life to say exactly when my car will be coming. No dice so far though. By my guesstimate it will be sometime between May and June, but when exactly will they change my order status from "Pending" to have an actual date, or where does it go after pending? Searching on here there really seems to be not to many clues as to how this process exactly works, and even the Leaf site is pretty vague other than "It is moving through our production system, and you will be notified when the status changes." Me and my wife have never ordered a car before so this whole process is new to us. Trying to take vacation as I want to try and meet it at the pier. Probably not going to happen, BUT it never hurts to try. Since they come in to the country right up the street from where I work I think it would be cool.

You won't start getting updates until about 2 weeks before your delivery. Unless of course it gets delayed like some others have noted in various threads and then the date starts jumping all over usually moving away from you. But if it is normal, you'll get a date when the ship containing your car hits US waters, then they have to do the prep work at the dock, ship it to the dealer, and then the dealer has to do some more prep work.

How long has it been in pending?

My experience is that it wasn't pending for very long (maybe a week at most?) and then switched to "month of". About 2 months prior to the "month" it switched to a "week of" display. From there it moved around slightly, but in my experience it didn't really change by more than a week from the original "week of". It ended up arriving about 3 days before the originally "week of" date.

As for meeting your car at the pier I don't think it's down to a science yet how to pinpoint which ship your car will be in, but you can probably narrow it down to 3-4. See the Tracking Ships thread. It's pretty fun to do!

At some point just before delivery the display may turn back to pending for a day or two. This is normal. If it stays at pending then though you need to call the dealer. This usually implies a paperwork issue that the dealer needs to address.

oops, your right. I was thinking of when you get the VIN which is normally two weeks prior. Yes, you should change from pending to a date of some sort long before then.

palmermd said:
oops, your right. I was thinking of when you get the VIN which is normally two weeks prior. Yes, you should change from pending to a date of some sort long before then.

Even with the VIN thing it may work differently these days (and works differently for each person). I had my VIN over a month (maybe even 6 weeks) before delivery. I suspect they are (or at least can) do VIN assignments around the time the car is loaded in Japan. I don't know why some people don't get their VIN until just prior to delivery, but that seems to be the exception now.

Thanks for the responses. Yeah Pending as in waiting.. I am just content that the status will change whenever it happens. Working on building up my 240 connectors, and making a quick 220 box. Also working on putting in my 240V outlet at the end of the driveway for it, but will have to order the parts as no one has them locally. So I have plenty to do while I wait. Was just curious how long till it changes, but I suppose with gas prices this high there will be a high demand for the Leaf. Plus they just opened it up to all 50 states (did not know that was going to happen, so luckily I pushed my order through when I did).

During the first 7 months after the first LEAF orders were submitted
(31 Aug 2010), "Pending" meant waiting for any number of unspecified
things, and it lasted from minutes to months. :eek:

garygid said:
"Pending" meant waiting for any number of unspecified
things, and it lasted from minutes to months. :eek:

That would be bad if it was longer than 2 months! I have enough projects from you guys to keep me busy for a month or so (SOC meter, Quick 220, and all that), but not to keep me busy much beyond that.

If you need more to keep you busy, try using my free
CAN-Do program from http://www.wwwsite.com/puzzles/cando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Download the program (for Windows OS), a Log file
(one is 6-hour L2 charging session), and
a "recipe" spreadsheet file.

Then, explore the inner workings of the LEAF.

I'm going on 2 weeks now... it's driving me crazy!

Edit: Not soon after it went to month of, then a few days later, week of... Now it's just pushing back maintaining a 2-week buffer from the estimated delivery date (has changed 4 times already). I just got CarWings/VIN, so I'm guessing another 3 weeks.

Back