How does the tax credit work for a new 2015 Nissan Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dtocila said:
Can I keep the trickle charger cable and just order a separate 240 volt charger cable? That way I can keep the trickle charging cable in the trunk for emergencies and leave the 240v one at home once I install the 240v outlet.

Of course. For people who need to regularly charge at work at 120 volts, it does become a PITA to have to stow and unstow the EVSE every single time. Having a dedicated 240 volt unit cuts the number of times you need to do this to half.

Also, the USB might be busted. When I connect my phone, it never successfully connects and it charges the phone for one second, stops charging, then charges it more for one second, and repeats this cycle. Since I have a bumper to bumper warranty, that should be covered right?

Yes it should be covered as long the car has not yet reached 3 years/36k miles (or the limit of any extended warranty), but before you do that I would check with a different smart phone and even different cables to see if it still exhibits that behavior. Is this an iPhone or Android or Windows phone?

Also, I was disappointed to find that the Bluetooth in this trim doesn't support audio streaming. So no music or Youtube streaming from my phone unless I use an aux cable. :( Which isn't really the end of the world because I was already using an aux cable in my Jeep.

The Leaf S does not have Bluetooth audio and that has been criticized, since it doesn't cost much to include.

It's a 2013 and I believe it's the base model with some extra packages. It doesn't have leather seats so it's not the SL, but it has the navigation and quick charging port (and heated seats front and back) so I think it's the S with extra features or perhaps the SV.

If you have navigation, it's not a Leaf S. The Leaf S has a different center stack than the more expensive versions and the screen is just for stereo functions and backup camera. The climate control is also different looking; the Leaf S has rotary knobs (which I personally prefer) for fan speed and temp, the SV and SL have vertical toggle switches. The temp and mode settings are displayed between the two round knobs on the Leaf S; these functions are displayed on the video screen on the SV and SL. The analog aux-in jack on the Leaf S is on the face of the stereo, but on the SV and SL models it is in the passenger side of the center console, just behind the cupholders and opposite the USB port.

This is what the center stack of a Leaf S looks like: http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/stills_white_0640/9723/9723_st0640_057.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this is for the SV and SL: http://icdn2.digitaltrends.com/image/2012-nissan-leaf-review-interior-dash-wheel-1000x667.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi RonDawg, thank you so much!

I'll try a different cable. I have an Android phone. HTC One M8 to be specific. And it looks like I have the SL, then. It doesn't have leather seats so it isn't SL but it has the toggle temperature buttons rather than the round knobs and the navigation. And the aux port is exactly where you mentioned it. Does this mean bluetooth audio streaming should work? And should this have a rearview camera? When I reverse I hear the warning beep beep sound as I reverse but it doesn't show me anything on the display. I personally don't need it but if it should be working, I'd want to get it looked at by the dealer.

dtocila said:
And it looks like I have the SL, then. It doesn't have leather seats so it isn't SL but it has the toggle temperature buttons rather than the round knobs and the navigation. And the aux port is exactly where you mentioned it. Does this mean bluetooth audio streaming should work? And should this have a rearview camera? When I reverse I hear the warning beep beep sound as I reverse but it doesn't show me anything on the display. I personally don't need it but if it should be working, I'd want to get it looked at by the dealer.

If yours is a 2013 or later model, but does not have leather, but has the 2011/2012 style center stack with navigation, and has the 16 inch alloy rims of the 2011/2012 model, it's a 2013 Leaf SV +QC. With this trim/option package you should have a backup camera; check the rear hatch to see if there is a camera mounted on the center handle (it's very obvious if it does have one).

If it has the nav screen then yes it has Bluetooth Audio Streaming. I personally don't use the one in my car and prefer just to plug my iPhone in via USB. I leave a cable attached at all times so it's not difficult to reach the port.

Also, are you absolutely sure yours is a 2013 model? Some of the things you're saying are suggesting a 2012 model. The 2012 Leaf SL has QC, backup camera, and fog lights as standard. These three features were not even optional on the 2012 SV, and neither model had an available leather interior from the factory (a few cars may have them retrofitted by an aftermarket supplier). Except for the backup camera on the hatch and fog lights in the bumper they look identical from the outside. 2011/2012 models have turn-signal repeaters in the front fenders like you see on many European cars; this was left out starting in 2013 for US/Canadian market Leafs.

Best way to know for certain is to check the VIN on your car; if starts with a "J" it means it is made in Japan and can only be a 2011 or 2012 model. 2013 and later models for the US and Canadian market were all built in Tennessee and will have a different first character for the VIN (1, 4 or 5, not sure which one Nissan USA uses, but definitely not a J).

I'm pretty sure it's a 2013. I searched the VIN on Carfax and I also took another look at the contract and it says 2013 on there. Here are some pictures of the car:

http://i.imgur.com/wKAFiDT.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/iRh5N7e.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/L7m0fLU.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/aROz2XW.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there a way to turn on the rearview camera? I didn't see on on the back but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. Also, the fully charged battery says 94 so it looks like the 12,000 miles did degrade the battery a bit. There are still 12 bars though. I should be good for a few years, right? Even if it was down to 60 miles at a full charge, I'd still be able to make the work commute very comfortably.

OK by the photos it appears your car is a 2013 or later US/Canadian model (lacks the turn signal repeaters in fenders). The center stack is that of the SV or SL model, but it has a light colored interior, so it suggests a 2013 or later SV (S is black cloth only, SL is black leather only).

But a photo of the rear of the car shows it to NOT have a rear view camera. I thought the 2013 SV came with a regular rear view camera standard but it apparently does not per : http://www.cars.com/nissan/leaf/2013/standard-equipment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's a $1050 extra charge which gives you Nissan's trick around-view camera rather than a regular camera, and IIRC includes the Bose stereo upgrade.

Just a quick question re the tax credit.

Is there any reduction in the credit due to AMT? Or is this at the absolute end of figuring your tax, then you deduct it?

Thanks. My lease is about up and I was gonna pull the trigger and buy a 2015 today with the 3500 nmac cash, 2500 Texas rbate plus federal!

LUXMAN said:

Is there any reduction in the credit due to AMT? Or is this at the absolute end of figuring your tax, then you deduct it?

Thanks. My lease is about up and I was gonna pull the trigger and buy a 2015 today with the 3500 nmac cash, 2500 Texas rbate plus federal!

At least in my own case, (I've used a CPA pro for years though), no AMT effect at all for tax year 2011 when we bought our '12 LEAF as long as you had paid at least $7,500 in Fed taxes, this 'credit' could be applied to it. We also received a $3,725 EV rebate check from IL which isn't considered 'income' as would assume your TX one would be but depends on if its a check or credit against your state taxes, etc. The AMT calculation looks at your taxable income adding your itemized deductions back-in and NOT tax credits like this one but as always, worth piece of mind to check with a tax pro especially if you have tons of itemized deductions and lots of taxable income --- the AMT tries to catch those with 'excessive' itemized deductions; this fed tax credit doesn't factor into that aspect of the calculation. We got a fed tax refund that was made much bigger by buying the EV that year. Best advise is don't assume until you go through the forms --- lastly, would assume you realize that you would wait until you file your 2015 taxes in 2016 to realize this credit? Many get confused as to when they get this --- as our car was purchased late Dec 2011, we saw the refund the following March; the IL rebate showed up in late June, not sure how/when TX processes theirs.

dtocila -
I'm still trying to decide whether to lease or purchase a 2015 SL but I was told that you will need to download the NISSANCONNECT app to stream music.

RobertM said:
...I was told that you will need to download the NISSANCONNECT app to stream music.
LEAF is not in the nissanusa web site Connect information as a pull down, and it is not mentioned in the 2015 LEAF brochure.
What you were told may be incorrect.

redLEAF said:
LUXMAN said:

At least in my own case, (I've used a CPA pro for years though), no AMT effect at all for tax year 2011 when we bought our '12 LEAF as long as you had paid at least $7,500 in Fed taxes, this 'credit' could be applied to it. We also received a $3,725 EV rebate check from IL which isn't considered 'income' as would assume your TX one would be but depends on if its a check or credit against your state taxes, etc. The AMT calculation looks at your taxable income adding your itemized deductions back-in and NOT tax credits like this one but as always, worth piece of mind to check with a tax pro especially if you have tons of itemized deductions and lots of taxable income --- the AMT tries to catch those with 'excessive' itemized deductions; this fed tax credit doesn't factor into that aspect of the calculation. We got a fed tax refund that was made much bigger by buying the EV that year. Best advise is don't assume until you go through the forms --- lastly, would assume you realize that you would wait until you file your 2015 taxes in 2016 to realize this credit? Many get confused as to when they get this --- as our car was purchased late Dec 2011, we saw the refund the following March; the IL rebate showed up in late June, not sure how/when TX processes theirs.

Thanks redLeaf. I see that the credit is after the total tax including AMT. Found the IRS instructions. Will file next year. The Texas one comes as a check. I have to mail it in and it takes about 4 weeks

Back