How do I bypass the "accept" action when I start the leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippy

Hello leaf owners, I love my Leaf!

But, why does it ask me to accept the info upload every time I start it? is there a way to "accept" forever? or for a month or week or for the day? Thanks!

Sorry, you can't bypass it. Ask their lawyers why. ;-) You are free to ignore the prompt, though, assuming you don't care about feeding CARWINGS stats.

When I'm in the car by myself I push the "Zero Emission" and Energy Info buttons, because that gives me what I want to see. When My wife is with me, she pushes the XM button, because that is what she wants to see. We never push the Accept button, because that would just give us a stupid map that neither of us wants to see.

Of course, as grommet hints, that means Nissan can't track everywhere we go, which is just fine with me.

Ray

Zippy said:
Hello leaf owners, I love my Leaf!

But, why does it ask me to accept the info upload every time I start it? ...

It's either to finance, or to avoid financing, vacation homes for lawyers in love.

I can't keep up with what's been going on.
I think my heart must just be slowing down.
Among the human beings;
in their designer jeans;
am I the only one who hears the screams
and the strangled cries of lawyers in love?

God sends his spaceships to America
the beautiful.
They land at six o'clock and there we are,
the dutiful.
Eating from TV trays.
Tuned into to Happy Days.
Waiting for World War III while Jesus slaves
to the mating calls of lawyers in love.

Last night I watched the news from Washington (the capitol).
The Russians escaped while we weren't watching them, like Russians will.
Now we've got all this room!
We've even got the moon.
And I hear the U.S.S.R. will be open soon
as vacation land for
lawyers in love.

-------------
-Jackson Browne 1983

Hello Leafers, I still love my leaf, but slightly sad to discover the first thing I dont like. Oh well, life isnt perfect. Zip ON!!

Trust us, you'll discover many more as the days progress... :lol:

Zippy said:
Hello Leafers, I still love my leaf, but slightly sad to discover the first thing I dont like. Oh well, life isnt perfect. Zip ON!!

I wonder if the Volt, Tesla Model S, Misubishi i-miev, or Ford Focus have the same issue on their screens...

Even the lawyers should have allowed the user to permanently assign a "I agree" setting. It's crazy.

If any Nissan folks are listening - issue a software fix please!

+1. Should have a checkbox to accept terms and conditions permanently, and a way to re-arm that feature should the car be sold, transferred, etc.

My guess is that they know that cannot predict who will be driving it, and that's why you have to accept T&C's each time, but since we have no idea what info is transmitted or retained, it's a black box.

Nissan should take a clue from Web and eCommerce to address the concept of profile administration, but my guess is that it would over-complicate vehicle administration to the point where it would be like admin'ing a computer, which is essentially what that system is - an onboard, wireless tablet.

Still, needs to be resolved, as this isn't a good user experience.

geppert said:
I wonder if the Volt, Tesla Model S, Misubishi i-miev, or Ford Focus have the same issue on their screens...

Even the lawyers should have allowed the user to permanently assign a "I agree" setting. It's crazy.

If any Nissan folks are listening - issue a software fix please!

My Volt does not ask me such nonsense every time I turn it on and happily reports all my driving information on On*Star.

But when I put it in reverse to drive out of my garage, it beeps loudly at me to tell me that there is something near my front bumper (the wall of the garage). So, I have to remember to turn off parking assist every time I get in the car.

I think just about every car today has some "stupid button" you have to press before you start driving. We should start a campaign along the lines of Amazon's fight against the impossible to open hard plastic packaging. It is like companies don't want us to use their products.

i think not accepting Carwings is your tacit acceptance. so you probably have to choose the nada option. this would be easy to test if you have a Carwings log on

i also "believe" that Nissan tracks our driving, charging, etc. no matter what our carwings decision is. After all, as posted above, GM does so and does not even give you the impression that you have a choice. at least they are upfront about it

DaveinOlyWA said:
do you mean Nissan or Carwings or do you consider them one and the same?
For the purposes here, it's the same thing. The telematics data goes to Nissan, which may or may not "brand" it under CARWINGS. ;-)

DaveinOlyWA said:
grommet said:
DaveinOlyWA, if you say no (or just ignore)... the drive telematics data really isn't uploaded to Nissan.
do you mean Nissan or Carwings or do you consider them one and the same?
I take your point, Dave. It is possible that the data is being uploaded to Nissan, but not displayed on the CarWings website. That would be very underhanded behavior, though, since the OK button is specifically authorizing upload.

All I really know is that I just now went to the CarWings website and it said I drove a total of 64 miles in 2011 and 75 miles (so far) in 2012. I have actually driven over 8000 miles. The only time the website has ever learned about our mileage is when my wife "accidentally" presses OK. I normally press one of the audio system buttons or pull up the Energy Usage screen. I have never, so far as I can remember, pressed Decline.

Ray

Ray; this does illustrate how some get 45 miles /KW. i actually "registered" 37 miles /kw one day last winter by only recording my trips to Downtown Oly (loss of 250 ft in elevation) on a day where scattered appointments and what not had me going there 4 separate times in one day.

one thing i did find out. on the Miles/KW meter. it does not go over 8.0 miles/K

My only gripe with the "accept" is how much cognitive effort it takes - relative to the quick-and-subconscious actions of the seat belt, brake, and power button - to hit that tiny "Accept" button that comes up at an inconveniently late period in the start-up process. I get in, hit the brake and power, put my seatbelt on, and usually it's still going through its "intro" (which I think is nifty, BTW). The fact that I can't just hit, say, "power" then immediately mash "accept" before going for the belt, means it requires a mental "detour" to hit the stupid thing every time. It's just not natural.

What Nissan should do, taking a page from Apple's user-experience handbook, is make it an "implicit acceptance". If you drive the car, you accept the responsibility. Which is a big fat "DUH" anyway. I hate that there are only two options: "accept" each time, or "decline" to indicate that I somehow don't agree with it (which is more absurd than being asked to "accept" it). I've always "accepted", so why would today be any different?

Yes, this is a "there's a tiny scratch in my gold bar, ugh!" issue, and I don't consider it an "issue" at all really. It's just one of those things that could've been done much better if someone in a meeting room somewhere said "y'know, I don't think this is the best we can do here". Two minutes of thought is all it would've taken to find a better solution, lawyers or otherwise...

Back