HOV Application and Plate #

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyph

Hi all,

I have a question if someone can answer for me. My dealership (stealership) told me that they will send me my plate # when they get it, or soon after I give them a good survey. However, speaking with my coworker, he said that his dealership applied for the HOV sticker for him before he drove off same day. So that means they already know the plate # for my car and is holding it hostage until I give them a good survey?

How did you apply for your HOV sticker? Is it after you get the plate # or did your dealership send in the application for you? Thanks!

cyph said:
Hi all,

I have a question if someone can answer for me. My dealership (stealership) told me that they will send me my plate # when they get it, or soon after I give them a good survey. However, speaking with my coworker, he said that his dealership applied for the HOV sticker for him before he drove off same day. So that means they already know the plate # for my car and is holding it hostage until I give them a good survey?

I suspect Nissan would be interested in hearing the name of the dealership. Might even be very interested.

:evil:

Premier Nissan of Fremont. Nissan hasn't called me yet for their survey, but oh do I have a tale to tell.

cyph said:
Hi all,

How did you apply for your HOV sticker? Is it after you get the plate # or did your dealership send in the application for you? Thanks!

This has got to be complete BS.

When I leased from a Bay Area dealer they told me they put in the paperwork to the DMV nightly. Once the paperwork is submitted it out of the dealers hands. The DMV processes the paperwork and sends you the plates, not the dealer.

Unless you signed the application for the Carpool sticker at the dealer when you leased the car they can not do this for you either. It requires your signature and the plate number. You can call the dealer and ask if they have submitted the DMV paperwork - don't talk to the sales staff - play dumb and ask the operator. If they have sit back and relax and wait for the plates.

Note that since last July, CA DMV has allowed dealers to pre-apply for HOV stickers on unsold cars, and even stick them to the car before it's sold. That could be what the OP's coworker was talking about; the VIN on his or her car may have been submitted to the DMV under this program, but the stickers did not arrive before the coworker drove off with the car.

Otherwise, you have to know the car's issued license number in order to apply for them.

DMV discontinued the practice in January or February for the green PHEV stickers as they were getting close to the maximum allotted number, but AFAIK the white stickers are still being allowed to be applied for this way.

^^^
I believe that's what the legendary Dianne has been doing w/Rav4 EVs.

Examples:
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13185#p13185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12486#p12486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=937" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But yes, prior to me ever hearing about the above, I recall reading (probably here on MNL) about dealers being able retrieve the plate number sometime after you've finished the purchase and before the plates arrive at your house via snail mail, which speeds up the HOV sticker application process slightly.

I guess we are talking about Cali here. A dealer with 'on-site' DMV services can probably get you the actual plates in a day or two. My dealer (not Carson) sent me my plate number the day they did the DMV paperwork, and the physical plates arrived in the mail a couple of days later. The whole process was only a few days from the purchase (Sunday).

rant on: HOV stickers are unnecessary to weave in and out of the HOV lane, or to jump into the carpool lane starting from 0 MPH in front of a stickered carpool vehicle doing 55-75. You must, however, be scrunched down in the driver seat with a cell phone up to your ear. rant off

cyph said:
they will send me my plate # when they get it, or soon after I give them a good survey.
I'd say that is justification for a bad survey. I do the same on eBay - if someone tries to extort positive feedback they have just eliminated that as a possibility.

Back