Hot days dilema news story.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowthom

Hello,
Saw a news bit about electric and hybrid cars not functioning in the Arizona heat. Some gal was commenting that her BMW wouldn't start because she left it in the sun. With 105 ~ 108 in the shade I suspect that car was a bit toasty.

LEAFs work fine in Phoenix except for premature battery deterioration on earlier model years. "Lizard" battery in 2015 is doing much better than original and replacement batteries in 2011. My only issue with 2015 is black dash and black leather seats absorb a lot of heat when car is parked in sun. Black dash absorbs a bunch of heat even while driving so A/C draws more energy than 2011 until the sun goes down in the evening. I saw 114 F on the ambient temperature display on the way home this evening.

Gerry

So the 2015 and 2016 replacement batteries in for the 2011 and 2012 cars are not as good as the 2015 batteries from the 2015 cars?

bowthom said:
Hello,
Saw a news bit about electric and hybrid cars not functioning in the Arizona heat. Some gal was commenting that her BMW wouldn't start because she left it in the sun. With 105 ~ 108 in the shade I suspect that car was a bit toasty.
Any other makes and models mentioned? Sounds bunk to me.

I personally know someone in Phoenix who had a Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prius. They worked fine AFAIK. He bought a very early Gen 3 (2010 model year, so he got it ~mid-2009) and sold it maybe ~6 months ago. He still has his Gen 2.

He lived in Phoenix when I met him before the Gen 3 existed. We were both at the Gen 3 unveiling in Jan 09 in Detroit along ~50 others + DaveinOlyWA.

Tonyt said:
So the 2015 and 2016 replacement batteries in for the 2011 and 2012 cars are not as good as the 2015 batteries from the 2015 cars?

The replacement battery in my 2011 was the original type from Japan so I have no experience with a 2015 battery in a 2011 car.

Gerry

I suspect that a bunch of these supposed no start cars had their 12 volt batteries killed by heat and it is NOT limited to hybrids and EVs, but rather all vehicles.

Doesn't make any sense to me. As we know, the Leaf and other HEV/PHEV/BEV vehicle batteries can get really really hot and still work. They'll work when the human inside has died of heat stroke. So this is just poor journalism, and I would hope that BMW sues the crap out of them. Maybe they'll start reporting facts instead of this nonsense.

The lizard batteries are deteriorating as bad as original batteries however this is not some revelation that has cropped up just because of the recent heat wave. Constant heat does reduce the overall lifespan of the battery however my cars power up and run perfectly on a daily basis even in heat waves. The A/C on these cars is fantastic!

The news reporting is poor and misleading. The reporting strikes me as someone who has bias against electric vehicles or are just ignorant.

My two Leafs don't miss a beat in this heat but they just won't last as many years as someone with a cooler climate car. Both of my cars have had the batteries replaced with lizard. I know a friend who has qualified for his third battery.

Anyway... try putting your hands under the hood of an ICE vehicle in the summer and watch them get the meat cooked off the bone. Just touching the body on a parked car or the seat belt buckle is enough to burn yourself. Many ICE vehicles are developing problems in this heat having a multitude of heat related issues including shortening the longevity of many components and the overall life of these vehicles.

Back