Honda Unveils 7 Concepts + EV-STER Sports Car!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRONZ

http://www.inautonews.com/honda-is-going-to-2011-tokyo-motor-show-with-7-concepts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://rumors.automobilemag.com/honda-unveiling-small-commuter-and-sports-car-concepts-in-tokyo-86829.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be interesting to see what hits the stage for the Tokyo Motor Show. I am a bit of a Honda fan so this gives me hope they will (finally) get serious about electrification (beyond Fit EV). The EV Sports car looks awesome and appears to be a response to the EsFlow. Things are getting interesting between Nissan and Honda.

honda-concept-2011-tokyo-motor-show-1.jpg

honda-concept-2011-tokyo-motor-show-4.jpg

honda-concept-2011-tokyo-motor-show-7.jpg

Not sure if this will be at Tokyo but looks very TTXGP worthy.
honda-concept-2011-tokyo-motor-show-12.jpg

I love prototypes. Get everyone's interest piqued with a very futuristic design to either (a) not produce the car at all or (b) produce a car with 1/10th the design and features of the prototype.

When I decided to buy an EV I was hoping that I would have a choice between a Leaf and a Fit EV (and potentially the Focus EV). But alas, no one else's "concept" panned out fast enough (or yet).

I hope it is better than Honda's Hybrid attempts to date which have all been mostly pitiful...

TRONZ said:
It will be interesting to see what hits the stage for the Tokyo Motor Show. I am a bit of a Honda fan so this gives me hope they will (finally) get serious about electrification (beyond Fit EV). The EV Sports car looks awesome and appears to be a response to the EsFlow. Things are getting interesting between Nissan and Honda.

TomT said:
I hope it is better than Honda's Hybrid attempts to date which have all been mostly pitiful...

Agree! Had a 08 Civic Hybrid on lease right before the LEAF. It was the first Honda product I have been disappointed in.

Interestingly, in the past, Honda has stated a very similar position to Nissan regarding electrification. Honda did not see the logic of Hybrids (like Nissan) but did believe that pure EV's offered a real advantage (like Nissan). Honda is apparently now flanking Nissan with these concepts which indicates they (both) see a real market for them. Have to wait and see if the Honda sports car is a well resolved as the EsFlow.

TRONZ said:
TomT said:

Agree! Had a 08 Civic Hybrid on lease right before the LEAF. It was the first Honda product I have been disappointed in.

Interestingly, in the past, Honda has stated a very similar position to Nissan regarding electrification. Honda did not see the logic of Hybrids (like Nissan) but did believe that pure EV's offered a real advantage (like Nissan). Honda is apparently now flanking Nissan with these concepts which indicates they (both) see a real market for them. Have to wait and see if the Honda sports car is a well resolved as the EsFlow.

Also agree. At least Honda is showing some interest in the sports EV concept, which few others, except Nissan, are doing. I'm excited that there will be news to look forward to for the end of the month.

Looks like Honda is now bringing 7 concepts to Tokyo... including a GP bike! Drool. Updated my OP with another link and pics..

At this point these concepts are no more than EV green washing place holders to distract from future EV conversion offerings. So far all we are seeing in the future are concepts and conversions. Then new concepts the following year.... Show me a concept (ground-up) EV that is actually going to go to production that even resembles the concept, even loosely. Not a silly Fit concept EV that comes as a Fit conversion. Let's see how long Honda can milk the concept strategy.

There is not much to milk or strategize with showing concepts because it makes no real dollars. I look forward to the "small sports" vehicle, PENDING THE SIZE OF THE BATTERY. If it's 150 km aka 100 mile deal they can keep it for themselves. I already have a Leaf to do that. We need bigger batteries here in the US. We have more miles to cover.

I can't wait for that Toyota 1000-km battery they announced a few days ago. Lake Tahoe and back. That's what I'm talking about! They plan to roll it out 2015-2020.

Sigh...

ILETRIC said:
I can't wait for that Toyota 1000-km battery they announced a few days ago. Lake Tahoe and back. That's what I'm talking about! They plan to roll it out 2015-2020.
They won't even have a 100 mile EV selling in all US states by 2015.

Large range EVs will come either from premium car makers like Tesla or from Chinese players. My guess is Nissan will slowly improve the range may be by 25% in every generation.

And the Tokyo Motor Show is off! Hondas first reveal today, the Micro Commuter.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/11/honda-micro-commuter-car-concept-revealed-2011-tokyo-motor-show.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess their electric sports car is called the EV-STER.

UPDATE: EV-STER Press Pics are up;

http://www.netcarshow.com/honda/2011-ev-ster_concept/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honda EV-Ster Concept

Honda Motor Co., Ltd. staged the world premiere of the Honda EV-STER, the next-generation electric small sports concept model, at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show.

Featuring a dynamic and innovative styling design and excellent environmental performance, the Honda EV-STER, an electric rear-wheel-drive two-seater convertible sports car, will propose a new way to enjoy a sports type model which is unique to tIhe electromotive mobility. The adoption of carbon materials made it possible to reduce the vehicle weight contributing to the vehicle's high driving performance and range of approximately 160km. The easy-to-operate twin-lever steering was adopted for the thorough pursuit of the joy of driving. Moreover, the new concept model enables the driver to make his/her own adjustments to some vehicle characteristics such as motor output and suspension settings, to embody the joy of maneuvering to the fullest extent.

Furthermore, the instrument panel features not only meters, but also the vehicle information display which enables the driver to enjoy driving as well as the network display used for the audio and navigation systems and also for the internet access. The well-designed layout of the meters and displays enables the driver to concentrate on driving and enjoy the comfortable space.

Honda remains committed to developing sports models beyond the expectations of its customers and offering exciting and thrilling mobility products.

Key specifications

Vehicle length: 3,570mm
Vehicle width: 1,500mm
Vehicle height: 1,100mm
Wheelbase: 2,325mm
Maximum speed: 160km/h
Acceleration 0-60km/h: 5.0 sec
Maximum range: Approximately 160km (JC08 mode)
Battery: 10kWh lithium-ion battery
Maximum battery output: 58kW
Charging time
200V: under 3 hours
100V: under 6 hours

Seriously! I saw that and did a total double take. It must weigh 100 lbs or something.

AC-X PHEV pic is up;

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/260266/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want to see the RC-E SuperBike in detail.

Here's the Honda I was waiting for. The RC-E Sport Bike. Drool.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gizmag.com/hondas-electric-superbike-shown-but-wrapped-in-secrecy-or-apathy/20676/picture/149302/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really annoyed Honda is giving no specs on this.

Well, I like the sports car.. If they actually produced that vehicle and it had decent acceleration and range I bet it might outsell anything Tesla would be producing.

In regards to Honda's hybrids. I have owned two of them, the original Insight and the 2010 Insight. I thought both vehicles were well made cars, especially the 2010 version. It got great gas mileage and was very reliable. However, I'll admit the Prius is a better design. I think Honda was too concerned with making the vehicle less expensive, which backfired on them.

Boomer23 said:
Battery capacity 10 kWh??????????????????

Enjoy that sparkling performance for maybe 30 miles?

160km in the super optimistic Japanese JC-8 cycle.. but it has to be a very lightweight car, probably not street legal. Also note that they may be using the Toshiba Scib cells (like the Fit BEV) and those cells can be discharged very deeply.

Same old concept stories. I would not expect to see any ground up EVs from Honda for at least four years. Even Mercedes had an S class full EV many many years ago but it was never made public. This is the same old concept play games and if Honda does do an EV expect it to be nothing at all like these concepts.

The JC8 cycle, lots of stop-and-go portions, and that would benefit electrics.. from http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/cycles/jp_jc08.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Japanese 2005 emission regulation introduced a new JC08 chassis dynamometer test cycle for light vehicles (< 3500 kg GVW). The test represents driving in congested city traffic, including idling periods and frequently alternating acceleration and deceleration. Measurement is made twice, with a cold start and with a warm start. The test is used for emission measurement and fuel economy determination, for gasoline and diesel vehicles."

jp_jc08.png

Boomer23 said:
Battery capacity 10 kWh??????????????????

Enjoy that sparkling performance for maybe 30 miles?
Well, since these won't be ever made (is even the "concept" a working one ?) - they can put any fancy number they want. Probably something the marketing guy at the show dreamed up. :evil:

Back