Honda’s "Accord" Plug-in Hybrid Takes On Volt and Prius

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottf200

First Drive: Honda’s Plug-in Hybrid Takes On Volt and Prius
By Brad Berman · December 09, 2011

honda-phev-tokyo2-620.jpg

Nearly all the media attention in the plug-in car world goes to pure electric vehicles, while plug-in hybrids mostly escape notice. That was true during the press days at last week’s 2011 Tokyo Motor Show, and during the media unveiling by Honda of its new powertrains prior to the show. The Honda Fit EV, as I reported on Monday, deserves a spotlight—based purely on the impressive amount of acceleration it delivers. But after five minutes behind the wheel of Honda’s Accord-sized plug-in hybrid, I believe it could be the breakthrough electrified vehicle that Honda needs.

Five minutes is not a lot of time to experience a car. For about four of those minutes I was trying to figure out when the gas engine was or wasn’t on. I started my drive in all-electric mode. When I eased up to 35 miles per hour, it was still purely electric. From there, I stomped on the accelerator and detected a very slight vibration from the 2.0-liter gas engine—but within a few seconds, it was quiet again as I continued to accelerate with more restraint. Is it on? Is it off? Except for a full throttle-down take-off from low speed to max speed—as if ramping up to a highway—I couldn’t tell. <snip>
The size of the Accord’s 120-kW electric motor is fully double the size of the Prius’s 60 kW motor. Combine a larger gas engine, with an electric motor that’s twice as big, and a battery pack that stores 6 kilowatt-hours of energy—compared to the Prius’s 4.4 kWh pack—and you have a much more capable plug-in hybrid. It drives with more power and confidence. And the size of the Accord is a bump from the C to D platform—a big step up for consumers looking for an efficient five-seat family sedan.
Efficiency rules: pure electric motoring can occur up to 62 mph ... 10–15 miles [of EV range], according to Honda
http://www.plugincars.com/first-drive-honda-plug-hybrid-could-beat-volt-and-prius-110828.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmmm ... a plethora PHEVs may just sink BEVs (<-- hyperbole) ... North America doesn't matter ... I'm more wondering how China, India, and Europe like BEVs vs PHEVs.

scottf200 said:
Hmmm ... a plethora PHEVs may just sink BEVs ... North America doesn't matter ... I'm more wondering how China, India, and Europe like BEVs vs PHEVs.

a what?? oh is that what they call 10,000 unit YEARLY production run these days?

lets see Honda provide a "plethora" of anything.

20,000 Leafs 32 MILLION MILES AND COUNTING!!

scottf200 said:
Hmmm ... a plethora PHEVs may just sink BEVs ... North America doesn't matter ... I'm more wondering how China, India, and Europe like BEVs vs PHEVs.
In EU there will be so many CHAdeMO and other QC stations, nobody cares about PHEV. PHEV, is mostly a US phenomenon.

Currently highway capable BEV & PHEVs are too expensive for India/China. Afterall, an ICE there costs just as much as an EVSE costs here :lol:

ps : I consider language like "sink BEVs" essentially trollish. Afterall you wouldn't go to a Ford forum and say some random GM concept car will "sink Ford".

I think the PHEV is a good idea and both the BEV and PHEV have a place in the market right now. If cost comes down on both types of vehicles, I believe both will eventually be winners, not against each other, but against traditional ICE vehicle.

But.. as somebody else already asked, what is the price? I fear if we can't get these prices down then all of them will remain niche vehicles.

I still think Toyota has the right idea with the design of the Prius PHEV. I realize it has some limitations, but if they could get that Prius PHEV down to the same price as a regular Prius eventually, it would be a huge hit.

evnow said:
scottf200 said:
In EU there will be so many CHAdeMO and other QC stations, nobody cares about PHEV. PHEV, is mostly a US phenomenon.
Currently highway capable BEV & PHEVs are too expensive for India/China. Afterall, an ICE there costs just as much as an EVSE costs here :lol:
ps : I consider language like "sink BEVs" essentially trollish. Afterall you wouldn't go to a Ford forum and say some random GM concept car will "sink Ford".
Interesting points all the way around. I didn't realize PHEV's where thought of that way. I would think they would just be the next logical step for someone with an existing hybrid like a Prius. Less gas less dough and gas is very expensive outside of the USA.

Obviously my "sink BEVs" was a hyperbole and was about the general concept of them or rather the "fear" of them. Given everything being equal ($, quality, etc normal comparisons) for a PHEV and BEV I could see the common/tradition/masses picking a PHEV. I don't think those folks "buy" the simple or cheaper maintenance angle.

Plethora was meant that many manufacturers are getting into PHEVs and not just a plethora of Honda's. Certainly Nissan is working on a PHEV ... perhaps because it is a phenomenon here like you say.

P.S. LEAFfan and TomT, I have no idea what you wrote since I have you on my foe/ignore.

This is just a much larger version of the PIP, probably at a much higher price since Toyota has really beaten down hybrid costs. Perhaps think of it as a plug-in version of a Fusion Hybrid. It wont be popular in Europe or Japan because its a much larger car than what they usually want... it may work well in the US for people that want something bigger than a Volt or PIP.

scottf200 said:
Obviously my "sink BEVs" was a hyperbole and was about the general concept of them or rather the "fear" of them. Given everything being equal ($, quality, etc normal comparisons) for a PHEV and BEV I could see the common/tradition/masses picking a PHEV. I don't think those folks "buy" the simple or cheaper maintenance angle.
Apparently the masses don't even know what PHEVs are. Funny thing is - whenever someone asks me about Leaf - they always ask twice to confirm it doesn't have a gas engine "at all". Then they say "wow" and start asking questions. So, apparently they are yet to even understand there are BEVs possible in this world :lol:

On, another note, if I were Honda, I'd try to electrify CR-V. I think SUVs are ideal vehicles for PHEV treatment. They are more likely to be used for longer trips and they are easier to convert since they have a lot of space below the floor. It would also be easier to make them AWD. Ofcourse there are the negative aspects like the weight & bad aero.

evnow said:
Apparently the masses don't even know what PHEVs are. Funny thing is - whenever someone asks me about Leaf - they always ask twice to confirm it doesn't have a gas engine "at all".

I too am surprised, particularly given all the ads Nissan has run, almost everyone I talk to hasn't even heard of the LEAF. What we all think is a transformational/disruptive advancement in technology seems to have gone largely unnoticed.

I was wondering if I would get all sorts of gawkers, people asking me about it in parking lots, zooming along side for a better look, what have you, but I can report in three days of driving the thing I've seen none of that... and I'm not sure that's a bad thing :) To a large extent I credit Nissan with keeping the LEAF "normal looking" but with so many funky new car designs appearing these days like the Juke, Soul, Cube, mini cooper, etc even the unconventional blends in.

Actually, I am not that surprised... Of all the people who have asked me about my Leaf, only ONE of them had seen a Leaf commercial...

LTLFTcomposite said:
I too am surprised, particularly given all the ads Nissan has run, almost everyone I talk to hasn't even heard of the LEAF. What we all think is a transformational/disruptive advancement in technology seems to have gone largely unnoticed.

Back