Hi just joined and looking to get a Leaf. Question about gas

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I read that the electric driving range for the Leaf is somewhere in the 70s. My daily commute to and from work is about 40 miles round trip. If I use 100% electric for those 40 miles, then go home and charge it overnight, repeat the process the next day, does anything happen to the gas?

What if I only ever use electric and never use gas? Is it bad to just keep gas sitting in the tank like that?

The LEAF is a battery-only car. Every trip is 100% electric. The only gas you'll have to worry about will come from the chili you had last night.

miraifusionzt4 said:
Is it bad to just keep gas sitting in the tank like that?
The gas in the tank could gel if left for several months. Because of this, I recommend driving your tank once every couple of weeks to keep that from happening.

Once you get used to driving the Leaf, I'll bet you'll enjoy it so much that you trade in your tank for another electric vehicle.

Welcome! Spend some time surfing through the various threads and you'll learn more than you will ever want to know about EV's. Feel free to ask questions, but consider adding your approximate location to your profile. Answers to many questions are location-dependent. For example, the Leaf has a "rated" range of about 75 mi when new, but that distance goes down dramatically in very cold weather and at high speeds. A routine commute of 40 mi RT should be easy for several years, but could be problematic when the temperature drops (like now on the East coast).

garsh said:
The gas in the tank could gel if left for several months. Because of this, I recommend driving your tank once every couple of weeks to keep that from happening.

Once you get used to driving the Leaf, I'll bet you'll enjoy it so much that you trade in your tank for another electric vehicle.

I was waffling between a gasoline-in-a-can joke and a gasoline-soaked-in-the-carpet joke, the latter having lots of panic. You win.

Yep, like others said you don't have to worry about gasoline in a Nissan LEAF since there isn't any. The chevy volt is a hybrid that has gas. 40 miles round trip is a good range for the Leaf. You will save lots of money by not paying for gas. Do you live in a cold or hot region of the country?

Thanks for the replies! It's very informative. I live in DC and the weather has been extremely cold here during the polar vortex. Temperatures down to between 10-20 so I'm worried electric car performance might take a hit.

If you have any reservations about whether the Leaf will meet your needs you should consider the Volt. With a 40 mile round trip commute the Volt will use little or no gas, yet you will never have to worry about running out of juice even in extreme temperatures or if you need to travel long distances.

And DC has Quick Chargers now, and more to come. But 40 miles is doable at even colder temps.

I have put gas in it, in a jug, but only because I haven't found an electric lawn tractor that I like yet.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
And DC has Quick Chargers now, and more to come. But 40 miles is doable at even colder temps.

I have put gas in it, in a jug, but only because I haven't found an electric lawn tractor that I like yet.

And I'm having trouble finding a home backup generator that runs on electricity. ;-)

LeftieBiker said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

And I'm having trouble finding a home backup generator that runs on electricity. ;-)

Wait a few years and then your Nissan leaf battery could be your backup generator. ..that's what I'm hoping anyways. Take old battery out and harness it for backup power at home (and maybe a easy qc at home?). Don't see how this couldn't work anyways.

IraqiInvaderGnr said:
LeftieBiker said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Wait a few years and then your Nissan leaf battery could be your backup generator. ..that's what I'm hoping anyways. Take old battery out and harness it for backup power at home (and maybe a easy qc at home?). Don't see how this couldn't work anyways.

That was a joke. I actually have the parts to make a primitive (square wave) Leaf to Home system, but haven't put them together yet.

miraifusionzt4 said:
Thanks for the replies! It's very informative. I live in DC and the weather has been extremely cold here during the polar vortex. Temperatures down to between 10-20 so I'm worried electric car performance might take a hit.

I drive a Leaf from Crofton to DC several days per month. It is about 52 miles round trip. Only on the coolest days (like today) is it tight on range. However, I have found that A: several downtown garages will let you trickle charge and B: parking in a basement garage actually warms the battery up to 5 bars even on the coolest of days and that helps out range a ton.

Days where the temp stays above freezing and I find I still have 25% range left after a 52 mile round trip.

so for your 40 mile round trip commute, go for it. If you want to know more come on out to the area electric car club this Saturday morning in the Columbia area. http://www.meetup.com/MDVolt/events/156086832/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back