Hertz LEAF Rentals in NYC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lne937s

For all of us New Yorkers who have to wait untill Fall/Winter of next year to order a LEAF, at least we will be able to rent one in the mean time.

As of next week, Hertz will let us rent LEAFs for $7/hr in NYC through the Hertz Connect program.
http://www.plugincars.com/hertz-details-hourly-electric-car-rentals-including-nissan-chevy-mitsubishi-tesla-smart-and-coda-106
http://twitter.com/Hertz
http://www.mnn.com/transportation/cars/blogs/electric-car-rentals-start-next-week

You can sign up here:
https://www.hertzev.com/

I'm going to stop by Times Square in a bit to see if they still have anything set up.

Why would I look for information on renting the LEAF in the buying/leasing/dealership section? New Yorkers waiting for the next year to order have little reason to look there any time in the near future, and renting is off topic for the section. The free Hertz Connect membership signup would have expired before I had any reason to look there.

Information about renting needs to go in the right place. As there is not a section for renting, it should go here in general news.

It's the same subject. If you click on "view active topics", it sticks out.

I signed up, but it appears to just take your name and email, then nothing , no email sent etc

I'm in Boston, same crappy ordering date as you.

This is very good, Yes? Alot of right coast people have been wanting a LEAF test drive asap. It sounds like this will be a way to do it.

TRONZ said:
This is very good, Yes? Alot of right coast people have been wanting a LEAF test drive asap. It sounds like this will be a way to do it.

It's great news. I almost got to test drive when they were doing press drives near Central Park, but had a meeting get in the way. My fall has been so busy that I couldn't get out to the west coast.

I plan on renting a LEAF on a regular basis untill I can get one.

I have a friend in NYC, looks like I need to visit them and try out a Leaf as well, we'll see what the Hertz website shows for availability, I signed up for the free 1 year membership.

TRONZ said:

It'd be a cryin' shame if while you were renting it, the rental got stolen, wouldn't it?
;)

Connect for NYC doesn't show any Leafs in their inventory yet... there are a lot of other cars listed though, including plenty of Prius'.

http://www.connectbyhertz.com/booking/create.aspx

click on "United States", "New York, NY"

lne937s said:
As of next week, Hertz will let us rent LEAFs for $7/hr in NYC through the Hertz Connect program.
I signed up for membership. I don't see any LEAFs showing on the map as of today (12/20/2010). Is the map out-of-date, or are they running behind schedule with their LEAF rental plans? I'll be in Manhattan in a couple weeks and would like to rent a LEAF for a couple hours, if possible...

tps said:
lne937s said:
I signed up for membership. I don't see any LEAFs showing on the map as of today (12/20/2010). Is the map out-of-date, or are they running behind schedule with their LEAF rental plans? I'll be in Manhattan in a couple weeks and would like to rent a LEAF for a couple hours, if possible...
I don't think they will be offering Leaf anytime soon. Atleast Mark Perry was surprised that Hertz was saying so.

Today I can see 2 Smart EVs for renting. Thats a start.

evnow said:
I don't think they will be offering Leaf anytime soon. Atleast Mark Perry was surprised that Hertz was saying so.

Today I can see 2 Smart EVs for renting. Thats a start.
Well, apparently Hertz is saying "next year" for the LEAF. Still, they may have it sooner than I'll be able to order here in the "forgotten 36". Anyway, I got a free 1 year membership in Connect by Hertz by signing up before 12/25...

I would be both stunned and disappointed if Hertz had Leafs to rent before a whole lot of people here had taken delivery of their cars.

The primary reason to rent a Leaf from Hertz is to take it out on an extended test drive to get some idea if it might be worth purchasing - i.e. a marketing activity. To have that happen while denying actual purchasers of a car would be quite startling. I'd hope that Hertz doesn't have any Leafs until towards the end of the summer by which time the order backlog is supposed to be worked through.

hill said:
TRONZ said:

It'd be a cryin' shame if while you were renting it, the rental got stolen, wouldn't it?
;)

It it was found without the pack:(

LakeLeaf said:
I would be both stunned and disappointed if Hertz had Leafs to rent before a whole lot of people here had taken delivery of their cars.

The primary reason to rent a Leaf from Hertz is to take it out on an extended test drive to get some idea if it might be worth purchasing - i.e. a marketing activity. To have that happen while denying actual purchasers of a car would be quite startling. I'd hope that Hertz doesn't have any Leafs until towards the end of the summer by which time the order backlog is supposed to be worked through.
I'd not be so harsh. I think it would be nice to be able to test drive before buying the car. I'd encourage Nissan to give one or two cars ... in Jan/Feb.

LakeLeaf said:

ya know, us poor b------s on the east coast can't even ORDER until "Fall/Winter 2011", thats a full year away for ORDERING. I hope Nissan ships the NYC Hertz connect 3 or 4 Leafs, just so we have some to try out on the "right coast". Not everything is for you west coasters, you've had EVs out there for YEARS, while the rest of the county had nothing, other than a few mini-E's in NJ, get over it already.

LakeLeaf said:
The primary reason to rent a Leaf from Hertz is to take it out on an extended test drive to get some idea if it might be worth purchasing - i.e. a marketing activity. To have that happen while denying actual purchasers of a car would be quite startling.
I'm one of the 20,000 who signed up to purchase a car, but due to "geographic discrimination" (forgotten 36), I likely won't get my chance until late next year. Nissan IS effectively denying me the right to purchase a car for some time, because of my address. I can't see how a couple LEAFs for rent in New York would put them too far behind schedule, but it would allow those of us who are otherwise geographically disadvantaged to get a taste of what is in store after our extended wait. It's no more or less fair than giving purchasing preference to certain states.

Believe it or not - that's sort of my point. I can see it from your perspective too and would agree that being able to rent something from Hertz is better then having nothing at all. Given what appears to be the reality of the production, it is certainly the only way whole bunches of people are going to be able to experience the car.

But I would hope at some point Nissan turns this from a marketing event into actually producing cars. When that line starts to turn out it's 130 Leafs a day, then everyone - West coast and East coast will be able to get one in their driveway in not too long of a time. If instead of getting the cars into the hands of paying customers, Nissan puts too many resources into more marketing events - lots of folks will decide on other options. I think Mitch even said a number of times that the longer delivery is dragged out, the more strongly you will consider other options. It's time to buckle down and get the product out the door!

With 20,000 reservations and a line capable of 50,000 cars a year - it shouldn't take very long to get cars to all reservationists - certainly not a year+

Nissan's intention may be to open reservations next year in the spring with the intent of putting even more customers in the roll out states ahead of those of us in the forgotten 36. So even if they get the assembly line cranked up, it may not help those of us in the east. I may be planning a road trip down to DC, the closest stop on the Drive Electric tour. But a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive (one way) to DC for 5 - 10 minutes of time in the LEAF is less appealing than 1 1/2 hours on the train (one way) to NYC for a couple hours with the LEAF, even if it costs a bit more...

Nissan will do what they feel they have to do, regardless of what seems "fair".

Yes, I did say that.

At this point, I may not even buy a Leaf, the Ford Focus EV or the Plug in Prius or even the iMev are looking pretty good, and it really depends on which vehicle is availble in the Boston area first, and at this point, it my be the Focus EV.. although Ford is not my favorite company.

Well, Nissan really has 2011 all to themselves, so the most we can do on the "right coast" is be prepared, get our EVSEs installed, etc. Of course 2012 will be a totally different story, so Nissan better get their act together fairly soon.

Back