Help! They can't seem to fix my Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely, I want to know specifically what they found, what the fail mode was and how it was repaired. 7 weeks to fix any car, regardless of technology, may be the product of a lot of guessing, parts changing and tail chasing.

I once had a Cadillac (1981) that ran me ragged for a couple weeks but that was the longest I ever kept a car.

Don

My wife and I just experience a similar issue with our brand new Leaf...

While driving on the freeway, the engine died and immediately flashed multiple unrelated yellow warning symbols (traction system warning, brake system warning, electrical system warning) when I had just driven the car about 25 miles and still had 73 mile range left. It first went into turtle mode and with my momentum I was able to get it to the right side of the freeway. I was lucky I was not driving in the fast lane.

Then after a few minutes the car would not go into drive or reverse, only Park or Neutral. Powering on and off did not help.
I had to tow the car to the dealer. After the Nissan Dealer service dept did troubleshooting and called Nissan, they determined the Accelerator Pedal Pressure Sensor had failed. Two days later the sensor was installed and I was able to drive it back home. I had a loaner and insisted they also pay for the gas due to the inconvenience any my lost time from work. They were friendly and helpful.

Today, my wife took the car to drive to work, and less than a mile from home the car died in the middle of the main highway through town. Turtle mode only lasted a few seconds so she was stuck with a car that could not move to the side of the road. I talked with her on the phone for a few minutes and she powered down and up again, and this time the car started as if nothing was wrong. I told her to drive it back home so that we could deal with it tonight after work. She was able to make it home and I scheduled a tow back to the dealer to get this fixed. Very unhappy that this issue was not resolved the first time. Will need to see if they can figure this out. I hope it does not become a 7 week troubleshooting party like the prior user wrote above....

We really like the Nissan Leaf. This is our first Nissan car after driving nothing but Hondas and Toyotas. I hope they can address this quickly.

JROJAI said:
My wife and I just experience a similar issue with our brand new Leaf...

While driving on the freeway, the engine died and immediately flashed multiple unrelated yellow warning symbols (traction system warning, brake system warning, electrical system warning) when I had just driven the car about 25 miles and still had 73 mile range left. It first went into turtle mode and with my momentum I was able to get it to the right side of the freeway. I was lucky I was not driving in the fast lane.

Then after a few minutes the car would not go into drive or reverse, only Park or Neutral. Powering on and off did not help.
I had to tow the car to the dealer. After the Nissan Dealer service dept did troubleshooting and called Nissan, they determined the Accelerator Pedal Pressure Sensor had failed. Two days later the sensor was installed and I was able to drive it back home. I had a loaner and insisted they also pay for the gas due to the inconvenience any my lost time from work. They were friendly and helpful.

Today, my wife took the car to drive to work, and less than a mile from home the car died in the middle of the main highway through town. Turtle mode only lasted a few seconds so she was stuck with a car that could not move to the side of the road. I talked with her on the phone for a few minutes and she powered down and up again, and this time the car started as if nothing was wrong. I told her to drive it back home so that we could deal with it tonight after work. She was able to make it home and I scheduled a tow back to the dealer to get this fixed. Very unhappy that this issue was not resolved the first time. Will need to see if they can figure this out. I hope it does not become a 7 week troubleshooting party like the prior user wrote above....

We really like the Nissan Leaf. This is our first Nissan car after driving nothing but Hondas and Toyotas. I hope they can address this quickly.

Thats sounds like the problem i was having with the lose bolt in battery pack.

ANYTIME your LEAF goes to the dealer for a problem, ask to have all stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) printed out when they hook the car up to their computer-based diagnostic system (Consult III+). Armed with this knowledge, you can return to the forum and we can assist you. We very well may be able to figure out a pesky intermittent problem even when the dealer tech can't. Then you also have a printed record, so if the same faults keep reoccurring, you are ready to make a Lemon law claim.

-Phil

If you ever find yourself stuck on the side of the road, one thing you can try is to clear any stored inhibitory codes by disconnection of the 12V battery terminal (under the hood) for a few minutes. In many cases, especially intermittent faults, this may get you back on the road. All that's needed is an adjustable wrench, or in a pinch; Pliers.

Be warned this may very well get your car back on the road, but it will also clear the fault code that disabled it. If the fault doesn't easily return, you may never know what happened!

I've had this happen after CHAdeMO charging on Blink stations, and it was due to excessive leakage current from the Blink charger. Since the problem wasn't my car, the reset was handy, and saved me towing on more than one occasion!

After the first time, I replaced the metric nut on the negative battery terminal with a wingnut so I can remove the connection without tools.

-Phil

JROJAI: You should file a safety complaint for the first incident at http://safercar.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I would.

Hopefully they can get to the bottom of the 2nd case. Once they do, I'd file another safety complaint.
Epi117 said:
Thats sounds like the problem i was having with the lose bolt in battery pack.
For the benefit of the others here, http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=297496#p297496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a pic of the receipt, stating what the dealer did.

Ingineer said:
After the first time, I replaced the metric nut on the negative battery terminal with a wingnut so I can remove the connection without tools.
Phil, do you happen to know the thread specifications? I may purchase a wingnut.

Edit: I measured it with a tap and die. It appears to be an M6X1.0 thread.

Thanks Phil for the tip about the Computer Codes. I will ask for them...
The update on my car is still no change after two weeks of the car being at the dealer. The dealer told us they need to replace one of the computers that manages the power distribution in the car. The problem is that they can't seem to get one and may have to get one from the factory in Japan. Apparently the factory in Smyrna did not have one to spare...

The problem is that they cannot give us a date when the part is expected to arrive. We called Nissan Customer Support and filed a claim their and they told us to save our receipts for gas on the Rental Car. I don't think this is enough service. While the dealer is friendly, he is unable to provide sufficient support to address this in a timely manner. It is now an issue with the Factory not being responsive enough.

Getting very angry now. NOT pleased with Nissan as a company.

I'll get the computer codes from the dealer and will post them...

@JROJAI: Where are you located ? Would you mind updating your profile with your location ? And would you mind sharing the name of the dealer ?

JROJAI said:
Thanks Phil for the tip about the Computer Codes. I will ask for them...
The update on my car is still no change after two weeks of the car being at the dealer. The dealer told us they need to replace one of the computers that manages the power distribution in the car. The problem is that they can't seem to get one and may have to get one from the factory in Japan. Apparently the factory in Smyrna did not have one to spare...

The problem is that they cannot give us a date when the part is expected to arrive. We called Nissan Customer Support and filed a claim their and they told us to save our receipts for gas on the Rental Car. I don't think this is enough service. While the dealer is friendly, he is unable to provide sufficient support to address this in a timely manner. It is now an issue with the Factory not being responsive enough.

Getting very angry now. NOT pleased with Nissan as a company.

I'll get the computer codes from the dealer and will post them...
depending on the laws in your state you might be able to file a lemon law claim for damages because of their inability to repair the vehicle

Back