Help replacing cells in 2011 Nissan leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jatgm1

So I'm looking into getting a Nissan leaf and found a decent deal on one by me and was wondering how someone would replace the cells. I'm not too familiar but it looks like you jack it up and jack up the pack and then lower it or something? Can someone point me to a really explicit guide? Also where to get cells cheap and good quality? Thank you :)

Respectfully, based upon your complete lack of knowledge, I would suggest you don't even try replacing cells.

You might look at sourcing and replacing the whole battery pack. There are plenty of threads on this.

If the battery is original, then it's worthless. Leaf cells tend to degrade evenly, so unless it's known that most of the cells are in great shape, replacing some of them will help very little - the range of the car is determined by the condition of its weakest cell. With a 2011 Leaf, what you'd need is a used, post 2014 battery. It would not be worth the expense. And, as already noted, it isn't a job for a novice.

I have dealt with soldering stuff and making an ebike battery a while ago, so this is a bit different, not 36v, not 18650 cells, I'm just trying to see if someone could direct me to knowledge on the subject so I can educate myself and learn enough to do it.

Jatgm1 said:
I'm just trying to see if someone could direct me to knowledge on the subject so I can educate myself and learn enough to do it.

There is an E.E (electrical engineer) named Dala who posts here and puts up DIY videos. He is not going to hold your hand though, so if the videos are not enough you are SOL; and if you kill yourself, I hope you had fun.

Can you somehow just buy a bunch of cells and just replace them all? Like if I put newer cells in theirs a site that claims to have a translator so that the cells will work in the vehicle, that I found on Google so idk, but I mean Ive dropped a gas tank on trucks before so it seems like it would be reasonable to expect that it would be doable with this battery pack for me to be able to get it off and if I can find the parts and some instructions on how it works I think I can figure it out, I just came on here to try to learn how.

There are lots of videos and blog posts, etc about this. It's not rocket science but the voltages are at a deadly level and the pack weighs 600+ lbs and needs to be lifted into the car, etc, etc.

Do some basic research first. My take is that you'd be much better off just replacing the entire pack. They aren't that easy to find but if you look around you could probably find a 24kWh pack. Finding a 30kWh or larger pack is a lot harder and takes more work to install in the car.

My experience with both original battery and warranty replacement in 2011 SL was that all cells deteriorated equally so there is no reason to consider replacing a few cells. The voltage of the pack is about 400 (when fully charged) and it weighs on the order of 600 pounds. Therefore, replacement should only be considered by someone with technical qualifications and equipment necessary to safely perform the work.

Is there a custom controller that would allow you to just use a pack of 18650 cells with an appropriate BMS? I think I can just stuff one in the trunk, route the wires up there and try to sell the old one or something. A few separate packs in series could work no? I found a bunch of 12v 64ah packs.

GerryAZ said:
My experience with both original battery and warranty replacement in 2011 SL was that all cells deteriorated equally so there is no reason to consider replacing a few cells. The voltage of the pack is about 400 (when fully charged) and it weighs on the order of 600 pounds. Therefore, replacement should only be considered by someone with technical qualifications and equipment necessary to safely perform the work.

So basically some 2x4, a gas tank jack and some regular jacks and stands.

Back