HELP: I'm buying a 2015 LEAF SL today: premium or no premium?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, this I s my very first post, I hope some of you current Leaf owners can give me some advice. I am buying a 2015 Leaf SL today. I'm taking advantage of some nice discounts and incentives.

My question is should I pay $1500 extra to get the premium package. I have heard mixed reviews on if the all-around camera is really more valuable than the regular reverse camera.

Also I do like nice sound systems. I have no problem adding an aftermarket sound system if I don't get the Bose one. I am sure I can spend $1000-$1500 on a new sound system that sounds better than the Bose, but is it really worth it? Will that affect resell value negatively? Will the extra power needed to run an aftermarket amp, sub and speakers hurt my efficiency badly? Is the Bose system really that bad or good? How does it compare to the stock SL 6 speaker system?

Thanks for your fast replies!

If you are buying an SL, then you are getting it because you want some goodies. My feeling is that when buying a new car --- First, get the car with as much from the factory you can, all perfectly installed. It will all be under warrantee. Also, in the future, you can make a big deal of getting all of the available options, which makes the car more desirable. If you add an aftermarket radio, no matter how good it is, it is not factory, and there will always be a question of if it was installed properly. Also, IMO, an aftermarket radio is a negative Again, get the SL, and get all the goodies you can afford and really like! For me, I got the 2015 S, with nothing buy the charging package. It is simple, but what "I" wanted...

OH, BY THE WAY!! My S Leaf came with the standard radio, and it sounds great! I am sure that for a typical person, it is fine, but if you are a BOSE fan, then go for it!

I've never seen a negative review of the All Around View system, only people writing that they don't care if it's there or not. I'd certainly get it.

(I have it by the way, and love it.)

As I’ve written before, I LOVE the Around View Monitor. Although I’m no fan of Bose, I’m enjoying the Bose stereo. I did briefly hear the stock ’13 SV stereo vs. a ’13 w/premium and could easily tell the difference. So, yes for me, I’d get it. I did when I leased and I did w/the used one I bought.

If you will only listen to talk radio or have bad hearing, then perhaps there’s no point in getting the better stereo.

It is easy for us to tell you to spend (your) money! The stereo is not what (I) would worry about. Factor in what that extra $1,500 financing will cost you over time, and decide if the upgrades are worth it for (you). Good luck and low prices to you! Enjoy!

I've been a mobile event DJ going on 35 years now and do multiple gigs almost every weekend. When I'm in my '13 SV, the BOSE is off 95% of the time, as I'm usually "music'ed-out" from weddings, etc., and too busy enjoying the silence of my smooth, quiet drive-train. When the muse comes upon me the other 5% though, the BOSE sounds schweet cranking-out the tunes. I LOVE my Around-View Monitor 100% of the time and wouldn't be caught buying (or in my case leasing) a new Leaf without it.

P.S. And for the record, the cost of the BOSE option in the Leaf, pales in comparison to the two BOSE L1 Model 2 systems that comprise my event sound system. About a semester's worth of college tuition for each stereo channel LOL! (I grew-up as an FM radio jock in the late 70's/early 80's and cherish separate left & right audio channels, even though two BOSE L1 systems is overkill in all but the largest banquet halls.)

Long story short... get the Premium option!

Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

For anyone considering a Leaf, especially before buying a new one, what are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

Thank you everyone. I'm on the way to the dealership now. I live in Seattle and will be commuting 20 miles each way daily. I think I will go for premium.

Playoutside said:
I live in Seattle and will be commuting 20 miles each way daily.
Cool. Yeah, your climate is very gentle on the batteries and your commute should be no problem quite some time. And, if you're in city of Seattle, you have dirt cheap electricity.

CONCLUSION: thank you for all of your comments.

I bought the SL without premium. I tested the premium but thought the all around camera was kind of gimmicky and not as good as what you find on a BMW or Range Rover. The Bose sound system was better than the stock system, but only barely. The treble was okay but the bass was very weak, no punch. I'll just investigate switching out the speakers for some good components, a five channel amp, and a 10" sub. If anyone has done something similar, please let me know.

The deal we got was so good that my parents bought one too!

Here is what we got:
2015 Leaf SL with mats, splash guard, kick plate.
Msrp was ~ $36,410
sale price after dealer and $1,150 VPP discount was 29,499
$5,000 Nissan rebate (and 0% for 72 months) brought the total price to $24,499 plus $150 doc fee and estimated $300 license fee.
Plus we will get the $7,500 federal tax credit.

So basically paid $17,950 out the door. This was cheaper than any USED 2014 or 2015 that I could find on Autotrader nationwide and was about the same price as buying a used 2013 SL from a Seattle Nissan lot once you factor in sales tax (which WA state residents don't have to pay on new EVs).

The long warranty and two year free charging made it extra sweet. Plus local Puget Sound Energy customers can get a $500 rebate on a level two charger until 12/31/2015. Now I just need to pick which one to purchase. Recommendations welcome!

First upgrades I wish to make: tint the windows, 3M or Xpel clear wrap on hood and fenders, remove zero emission decals and leaf badge, maybe black out the chrome door handles and Nissan logo.

Playoutside said:

I bought the SL without premium. I tested the premium but thought the all around camera was kind of gimmicky and not as good as what you find on a BMW or Range Rover. The Bose sound system was better than the stock system, but only barely. The treble was okay but the bass was very weak, no punch. I'll just investigate switching out the speakers for some good components, a five channel amp, and a 10" sub. If anyone has done something similar, please let me know.
No problem. I would never consider a Range Rover. As for comparing to a similar system on a BMW, I don't know. I've only seen crazy high end ones on a 7-series (BMW rep said the car I was sitting in stickered at about $130K). I still LOVE the AVM.

As for bass very weak? On the Bose system? Really? You sure bass wasn't turned down or something wrong w/the car? The Bose stereo's got much more punch than any OEM stereo I've ever had. And, I am no fan of Bose, the company nor their equipment, in general. Any audiophile (not ones who think Bose is the "best") will know what I'm talking about.

(2nd best OEM car stereo I've had in a car I've owned/leased is a JBL "premium" stereo in my 06 Prius. That stereo sounds fine but certainly isn't up to par w/good stereos in medium to high end luxury cars and not really deserving the "premium" moniker, but Prius isn't a luxury car.)

I'm personally not a fan aftermarket stereo equipment because of car stereo theft. I've had a car stereo stolen before. Having anything aftermarket that can be used in another vehicle or easily fenced makes it a target. If there were no such thing, sure, I'd go for it. Anyhow, I can see where you're coming from. If you feel the Bose is no good/not worth the $ and will be mostly swapped out anyway, may as well not pay for it.

One of the drawbacks of the Bose system is that the audio settings (bass, treble, balance) have to be accessed via menus, and aren't right there to easily adjust. I too think that the car you tested had the bass set to default, or even lower - maybe in an attempt to sell the Premium package. As for the Around View, IIRC it is actually a BMW invention, and is licensed to other makers. That too has various viewing options, and I find that the one that gives a synthetic view from "above" the car is immensely helpful in parking. Still, at least you know that you won't be regretting your decision, having made a choice based on your own testing.

One thing to consider re the stereo: the Bose system was designed for low power consumption, and if you go to a powerful aftermarket system, you may want to upgrade the accessory battery to an AGM or at least a higher capacity "marine" or "hybrid" type, just to avoid dead batteries. If not, at least be sure to always use the accessories in "Ready" mode, not the battery-killing Accessory mode.

Glad you got such a great deal on the package you wanted. But I wanted to add my opinion on the premium package as well for those that may be considering it.

I specifically looked for a used Leaf with premium because I wanted the Bose sound system, and didn't much care about the cameras. First, it was harder than I thought it would be to find a used Leaf with premium.

But I will say that after using it, I would give up the Bose system before I would give up the camera system. I use it all of the time. When pulling into my garage, I turn it on so that I can pull as close to this post as possible. When parking in small spaces, I never have to ask my wife to open her door to see if I'm on the line. I no longer have any questions about whether I'm "going to make it" when I'm turning into a space and can't tell if I'm straight enough to avoid hitting another car.

overall, the cameras are worth it IMHO. I like the Bose sound too, don't mean to dis it, just that as far as the value of the prem. package I think the cameras bring the most value.

I tried the all-around monitors and they're awesome, but opted for a lower trim level overall. I'd think it gets the "meh" of indifference only from people who have a big garage and park in generously-striped surface lots. I'd say they're essential if your driving involves:
- daily-to-weekly Parallel parking in cities
- Tight public garage parking (such as in a condo or big office)
- Tight home garage parking (stacks of bikes/mowers/junk or a Model-T era garage)

Hello! Need some advice on buying a used leaf. I went to carmax and they have a 2013 Leaf S w/ QC but no cruise control ($12,000.00 & 23k miles odometer). Dash shows 100% full charge with all 12 battery bars and good for 83 miles. Temperature here is about 50F outside. I have an OBDII adapter and planning to use the Leaf Spy lite to check the battery condition as suggested from others but don't know as to what values (SOC,AHR,GIDS, etc.) to look for to know if the battery is still good. Is this price too much for a used 2013 leaf S w/ QC and worth the $12k? Any advice please. Thanks

Playoutside said:

The deal we got was so good that my parents bought one too!

Here is what we got:
2015 Leaf SL with mats, splash guard, kick plate.
Msrp was ~ $36,410
sale price after dealer and $1,150 VPP discount was 29,499
$5,000 Nissan rebate (and 0% for 72 months) brought the total price to $24,499 plus $150 doc fee and estimated $300 license fee.
Plus we will get the $7,500 federal tax credit.

So basically paid $17,950 out the door. This was cheaper than any USED 2014 or 2015 that I could find on Autotrader nationwide and was about the same price as buying a used 2013 SL from a Seattle Nissan lot once you factor in sales tax (which WA state residents don't have to pay on new EVs).

The long warranty and two year free charging made it extra sweet. Plus local Puget Sound Energy customers can get a $500 rebate on a level two charger until 12/31/2015. Now I just need to pick which one to purchase. Recommendations welcome!

First upgrades I wish to make: tint the windows, 3M or Xpel clear wrap on hood and fenders, remove zero emission decals and leaf badge, maybe black out the chrome door handles and Nissan logo.
Don't forget a spare tire & jack :shock:

Back