HELP.. Georgia Tax Increases imposed on electric vehicles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This bill was not entered at the last hour as some have suggested. In fact it was publicly announced before the legislative session even started and there was plenty of public news and debate in the local fish wrapper and on talk radio. If you missed that sorry, but this was not sneaky. As for the alleged comments made by the sponsor of the bill I would fact check that yourself before you get upset as some of the statements put forth here have not been factual at all.

Regarding the $200 annual fee, it applies to all alternative fueled vehicles in Georgia not just EVs. There are CNG and soon to be Hydrogen as well as homemade kit vehicles that run on something other than gas or diesel. The point of this tax is to collect roughly the same amount of annual user fee that the average Georgia ICE driver pays in motor fuel tax. Like it or not, we EV drivers are using the roads just as much as ICE drivers and IMO it is only fair that we pay for the infrastructure as well. I don't want to pay the $200 annual fee or any other tax, but again it seems fair because I am using the roads. Also, please note that commercial AFVs will pay $400 per year, while individual owners will pay $200 per year. This recognizes that commercial vehicles generally drive more miles and thus use the infrastructure more. Similarly, large commercial trucks (aka big rigs) pay a much higher rate of motor fuel tax than individual car owners.

While I will miss the $5k tax credit I get it, the state was seeing a lot of revenue go away and needed to change it. This also has been in the news for over a year which is why I decided to lease my Leaf in December of last year before they had a chance to repeal the credit. Also of note is that in Georgia, like many states, EV drivers can drive in the HOV lanes as a single occupant and can drive for FREE in the HOT toll lanes on I-85. There are more toll lanes under construction on I-75 south of and north of Atlanta, and when completed these will be of added benefit to those of us who drive EVs. My brother-in-law pays $200 per month on the I-85 toll lanes for his daily commute, so this can be a substantial benefit.

Finally, as at least one other member has posted, Georgia needed to do something to shore up transportation infrastructure spending and the bill that passed this year is a good starting point. Not perfect, not by a long shot, but a good starting point. If you like driving on safe, quality built roads and bridges then you have to enable the state to collect enough tax revenue to provide for that. Three years ago the state legislature put out a referendum to the public on a 1 penny sales tax for infrastructure and all but 2 districts in Georgia overwhelmingly voted it down. That was a shame as it would have raised far more revenue for transportation improvements than this year's bill, but it is what it is.

Sure I believe EV drivers should pay a fair share of road taxes. But it is unfair to assess an arbitrary fee to one class of drivers while others are taxed on basis of useage. One could even argue that it violates the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

If the $200 fee is reasonable then it should be assessed on all vehicles and the state gasoline tax rescinded. But I think you'd find that a lot of Georgians who are fine with the flat fee for EVs would suddenly find a flat road tax to be monumentally unfair. Go figure.

I understand what you are saying, but the fee is far from arbitrary. Again, they simply ran some numbers to determine what the average ICE car pays in gas taxes in a year and imposed it as a flat fee. As for equal protection, I don't think that would hold water, but if it did the ICE drivers could have argued it for the past 5 years as they have paid the fee (via gas taxes) while those of us who drive EVs and other AFVs have not. It's about perspective.

Now, regarding your last statement, I agree 100%. I believe the gas tax should be rescinded. It is an antiquated model for paying for infrastructure needs and some day it will have to be replaced as I believe whole heartedly that ICE cars will one day be a thing of the past. IMO the sales tax would be the best and most equitable way to pay for infrastructure. Every time you buy something, you are using the transportation network either directly or indirectly. Either you drive to a store to purchase an item, which itself was shipped to the store on a truck or train or combination of those, OR you order an item online which is then shipped to your door via UPS or Fedex using (you guessed it) the roads. Very simply put, you can't participate in commerce without using roads and bridges, therefore it seems only fair and natural to base the infrastructure user fee on the amount of commerce in which you participate. That takes the type of fuel used by the vehicle completely out of the equation, and it avoids the big brother issue tied to other suggested ways of taxing people for infrastructure such as a mileage based fee.

Georgia HB 170 Bill
Said title is further amended by adding a new paragraph to subsection (a) of Code Section
159 40-2-151, relating to the
annual license fees
for the operation of vehicles, to read as follows:
160 "(19)(A)(i) Upon registration of an alternative fueled vehicle not operated
161 for commercial purposes ....................................... 200.00
162 (ii) Upon registration of an alternative fueled vehicle operated for
163 commercial purposes ......................................... 300.00
http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20152016/HB/170

Licensing fees go into the General Fund and are not earmarked for transportation whereas motor fuel tax which you pay at the pump is constitutionally required to be used only for transportation. Could be an opportunity here to contest this, I don't know. At the very least its is falsely presented as representing money to be collected for roads when in fact it is not. They also give natural gas, propane fueled vehicles an exemption from this fee.

Also be aware that regardless of you getting an Alternative fuel tag you will pay the licensing fee.

As a regular commuter of Georgia's interstate(60mi a day) I have no problem with paying my fair share of the road but it should be the road and not the Governor's luncheons, etc that I'm paying for.

It is interesting that the $5k incentive is going away just in time to help clear GA dealers' (mostly S trim line) MY15 Leaf inventory before the MY16 is officially announced with the 25% larger capacity SV & SL trim lines. Will the most popular MY16 trim line be the SV?

MikeD said:
It is interesting that the $5k incentive is going away just in time to help clear GA dealers' (mostly S trim line) MY15 Leaf inventory before the MY16 is officially announced with the 25% larger capacity SV & SL trim lines. Will the most popular MY16 trim line be the SV?

Given the feeding frenzy in May, I wondered the same.

The $200 tax is a bit bogus in how it was calculated, but I can at least understand the concept.

Total loss of the State rebate will kill EV's in GA. Which is pretty pathetic given we constantly have "Clean Air" Issues which cost us much more money in many other areas.

So instead of growing movement to use EV's in GA, it's effectively dead July 1.

Without the rebate, there is zero incentive for me to use a Leaf instead of the traditional Metro Atlanta gassers.

Calling the rebate a "gift to yuppie lawyers" was very disingenuous. This was bad politics, pure and simple.

Pinzgauer said:
MikeD said:

Given the feeding frenzy in May, I wondered the same.

The $200 tax is a bit bogus in how it was calculated, but I can at least understand the concept.

Total loss of the State rebate will kill EV's in GA. Which is pretty pathetic given we constantly have "Clean Air" Issues which cost us much more money in many other areas.

So instead of growing movement to use EV's in GA, it's effectively dead July 1.

Without the rebate, there is zero incentive for me to use a Leaf instead of the traditional Metro Atlanta gassers.

Calling the rebate a "gift to yuppie lawyers" was very disingenuous. This was bad politics, pure and simple.
So will that mean surrounding states will have an increase in sales instead? Just drive to another state to get the purchase?

knightmb said:
So will that mean surrounding states will have an increase in sales instead? Just drive to another state to get the purchase?

Doesn't matter where you purchase, if you register the car in Georgia you will pay TAVT on it, and the $200 annual EV registration fee.

CmdrThor said:
knightmb said:

Doesn't matter where you purchase, if you register the car in Georgia you will pay TAVT on it, and the $200 annual EV registration fee.

So I'm guessing that at your first tag renewal (birthday month) after July 1, 2015, we'll be hit with the $200 charge?

Back