Hello From Central Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got to say I really like the forum...plenty of great information and many interesting and sometimes amusing threads. It's nice to see an active Leaf community.

My wife and I have been looking for the right car to purchase in the next 3-12 months and decided on the Leaf. It was a test drive yesterday that sealed the deal for us. We came home and did the online reservation but were unable to schedule the assessment for our charging station. I'll make the call tomorrow to get one set up so we can move on to the ordering process.

We're going with the SL model in glacier pearl. I like several of the colors, but pearl won out.

I think the Leaf will be more than suitable for our needs. Between the two of us, my commute is the longest at 45 miles round trip...easily within range with plenty of room left for off route errands. There are also a couple of public charging stations in the area, and others in the vicinity of our longer, less frequent excursion routes.

The test drive was very impressive. The car had much better acceleration than I expected, better even than either our Neon or Vibe. The ride was as quiet as the LaCrosse with eAssist we test drove a couple of weeks ago. We found the comfort level to be more than adequate, and were well pleased with the overall experience.

Thanks for having me, and I look forward to more enjoyable reading on the forum. Have a great day, folks!

Its interesting that you shopped a Leaf against a LaCrosse.. the cost is about the same once you take the incentives on the Leaf but the level of luxury is totally different. What swayed your decision?

Are you aware of the free EVSE from ChargePoint?.. You may qualify.
http://chargepointamerica.com/blog/chargepoint-america/electric-car-buyers-free-home-charging-stations-offered-by-chargepoint-america/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herm said:
Its interesting that you shopped a Leaf against a LaCrosse.. the cost is about the same once you take the incentives on the Leaf but the level of luxury is totally different. What swayed your decision?
I see many benefits to the Leaf, but a few things that swayed our decision are...

• Reduced reliance on foreign oil (we still have a couple of ICE cars that will see some use)
    Reduced overall emissions footprint
    Fun factor of being part of new technology support

Luxury is nice, but not a deal breaker for me. I value national security and a clean environment more highly than personal comfort. I started becoming concerned about (I was already conscious of, but justifying until then), my personal impact as a dependent consumer of foreign oil a couple of years ago. My first step was to sell my 2 year old Ford F-150 SuperCrew that I used for personal pleasure and commuting...not a work truck, and buy a Pontiac Vibe that more than doubled my fuel economy. That has worked for me for the last 2 years, but now I'm ready to take the next step and go electric. I'd eventually like to install solar panels to support my EV usage, but cost is a factor and that will have to wait. One step at a time.

The level of luxury between the LaCrosse and the Leaf are not that far separated as far as I could tell. A bit less bling on the Leaf, but as far as what I consider luxury, they're pretty equal. Maybe because I'm more utilitarian I missed the minutia that sets them apart. To me the Leaf is quite luxurious with built in navigation, comfortable seating, low road noise, iTouch integration for audio, remote access to computer controls, etc. The Leaf has all I need and then some.

With the 2 being equally priced, the lower cost of ownership also makes the Leaf more attractive.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1072980_electric-car-buyers-free-home-charging-stations-offered-by-chargepoint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The factory AV charge station is way overpriced. You should cancel the assessment and check out the options in other EVSE threads. Just call Nissan's 800 number on your ordering page, and ask for a waveron the charging station.

Herm said:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1072980_electric-car-buyers-free-home-charging-stations-offered-by-chargepoint
What a great program. I just checked my zip code and got all excited when it returned the following message...

"Congratulations! Your location is within one of the ChargePoint America metro areas."

Then it says...

"To apply for a free home charging station, please select your program vehicle:
Fisker Karma
Chevrolet Volt or call 877-805-EVSE (877-805-3873)
smart fortwo ED or call 877-805-EVSE (877-805-3873)
Ford Transit Connect
Contact Azure Dynamics, Peggy Prosser, Executive VP Sales, Tel: 248-658-7505
Navistar eStar® Electric Truck
Contact Azure Dynamics, Mark McGrew, Sales Director East Region, Tel: 480.540.6139"

Which clarifies the earlier statement that even though the Leaf qualifies under the plan, "*Note: not every program vehicle is eligible in each region."

Bummer. :(

Congrats on your reservation! Took a test drive yesterday myself. Think I will be going for the SV model though if I do not get the 2011 SL I test drove yesterday. The Pearl is definately a good color choice too.

Herm said:
Call anyway, I believe it is a mistake on the page.
Definetely let us know, as the Leaf might not be eligible for a free EVSE (in Central Florida) because ChargePoint is the one giving them away in Central Florida, not Ecotality.

I just spoke with a rep from ChargePoint America and he's going to call me back when he leaves the dealership to get some more information and make an inquiry. He said he believes it has to do with other overlapping programs in the area for the Nissan Leaf, but to my knowledge, there are no other programs in my area. I'll post back when I hear from him and know more.

EDIT: I spoke with the rep again and he is going to contact the powers that be to see if he can get me a charger. I appreciate him looking into it. He said to call him back Wednesday if I don't hear back from him by then. Update to follow.

Well Kevin if not your best route might be to just to the EVSE upgrade guy, and upgrade your trickle charger in the Leaf. If I had bought a Leaf first instead of a Volt that is the route I would have taken.. Then you can just use a regular 240 outlet (much cheaper to install, or pay an electrician to install than an EVSE), and you can plug in L2 at a lot of places.. If my Voltec L2 charger had not been $490 I don't think I would have gotten an L2 charger at all.

I hope Chargepoint works out for you! Cause unless you can install it yourself the value of it quickly diminishes (some people have paid $2000+ for installations). Then I would just do the cord upgrade and leave it at that. That is my opinion though. Granted it is nice having my wall mounted charger as I don't need to worry about it disappearing (I charge outside), and I don't have to worry about coiling it up & putting it in the trunk in case I get a chance to oppertunity charge.

Hi Kevin,
I live in Orlando and took delivery of my 2012 Brilliant Silver LEAF in December from Sutherlin Nissan.
Very fun car and great to drive.
I have an AV EVSE in my garage.
If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Mike

KevinV said:
I just spoke with a rep from ChargePoint America and he's going to call me back when he leaves the dealership to get some more information and make an inquiry. He said he believes it has to do with other overlapping programs in the area for the Nissan Leaf, but to my knowledge, there are no other programs in my area. I'll post back when I hear from him and know more.

EDIT: I spoke with the rep again and he is going to contact the powers that be to see if he can get me a charger. I appreciate him looking into it. He said to call him back Wednesday if I don't hear back from him by then. Update to follow.

Ecotality is working on the EV infrastructure in the following regions: Phoenix (AZ), Tucson (AZ), San Diego (CA), San Francisco (CA), Los Angeles (CA), Portland (OR), Eugene (OR), Salem (OR), Corvallis (OR), Seattle (WA), Nashville (TN), Knoxville (TN), Memphis (TN), Chattanooga (TN), Washington D.C., Dallas (TX), Fort Worth (TX), and Houston (TX).

ChargePoint America is focusing on the following regions: Boston, MA; Bellevue/Redmond, WA;Sacramento, CA;San Jose/San Francisco Bay Area;Los Angeles, CA; Austin, TX;Southern Michigan; New York City, NY; Washington DC/Baltimore; Orlando/Tampa, FL.

They both are offering free chargers for the Leaf but as you point out the ChargePoint website states "*Note: not every program vehicle is eligible in each region."
Good Luck and keep us posted!

I just heard back from the rep and he said they're not able to offer the charger for the Leaf in Florida right now. He'll let me know if they open my area up to the program. Seems crazy to me that they got the money from a federal grant but will limit what areas can utilize the money, all when they're trying to promote the use of EV's.

Thanks for the other advice, I'll continue to look at my options.

I'm a little less than excited at this point with the charger news, and having just got back my inflated offer from the local Nissan dealer. They seem to have tacked on a few thousand for themselves and extended the lease by 3 months. Looks like I may be on the sidelines for a while longer.

KevinV said:
I just heard back from the rep and he said they're not able to offer the charger for the Leaf in Florida right now. He'll let me know if they open my area up to the program. Seems crazy to me that they got the money from a federal grant but will limit what areas can utilize the money, all when they're trying to promote the use of EV's.

Thanks for the other advice, I'll continue to look at my options.

I'm a little less than excited at this point with the charger news, and having just got back my inflated offer from the local Nissan dealer. They seem to have tacked on a few thousand for themselves and extended the lease by 3 months. Looks like I may be on the sidelines for a while longer.
Negotiating the price with the car dealer was definitely the worst part of of my experience but it was worth the pain! If they want to charge you more than MSRP just go to a different dealership!

As far as the charger, you might be able to simply use the included Level 1 charger based upon your commute and all the public chargers available in Central Florida. While it is ridiculous that ChargePoint will not give away free chargers to Central Florida Leaf owners they are building up quite a network of chargers (over 100) in the area. Check out their map http://www.chargepoint.net/find-stations.php

KevinV said:

I had a 2012 SV on order with my local dealer in Port Charlotte at msrp+ but got tired of waiting. An Internet search located a 2012 SV in inventory at Jenkins Nissan in Lakeland at a price well below msrp. Long story short, I snapped up the one from Jenkins. You might be able to do something similar.

ETA- The local dealer here had an orphan SL in glacier pearl on the showroom floor last week when I went in for a software update. Don't know if it's still there.

Congrats and in FL? Not too far from SC!

There is an Perl Orphan here in Charleston.

http://www.morrisnissan.com/inventory-results/standardmodel/EQ,LEAF/categories/new,new-specials,preowned,preowned-specials,certified,under10k/selectedcat/new/page/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi from Ocala.
Got my first 100 miles under my belt, taking it to work for the first time today. So where do we talk about taxes and incentives and such for Florida residents?

OttoH said:
Hi from Ocala.
Got my first 100 miles under my belt, taking it to work for the first time today. So where do we talk about taxes and incentives and such for Florida residents?

Congratulations! Here is the Florida thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=550&p=186643#p186643

Florida does not have any specific incentives bit there are several threads related to the $7500 Federal Tax Credit. Down here in South Florida the Leaf qualifies for the HOV/95 Express lane but there are no discounts on Sunpass/E-Pass.

Do you have a 240V EVSE yet!?

Congratulations! Here is the Florida thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=550&p=186643#p186643

Florida does not have any specific incentives bit there are several threads related to the $7500 Federal Tax Credit. Down here in South Florida the Leaf qualifies for the HOV/95 Express lane but there are no discounts on Sunpass/E-Pass.

Do you have a 240V EVSE yet!?

Nope, haven't got my EVSE yet.
I got 240V in my garage, several outlets actually. What I'm debating is whether to get a second unit or upgrade the one I got. But I'm doing fine with the 120V for now, so I'm not in a hurry.

I got a Sunpass transponder, but I only use it for going to Orlando (Turnpike) so unless we can get them to install charging stations at the Service Plazas, my Leaf will probably not be using one. Orlando is a little less than 100 miles from home.

Back