Headlight malfunction - yellow warning light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prberg

I was curious if anyone else has seen this one. The past few weeks I have had the yellow '!' icon on my dash and also the yellow headlight malfunction light has been on. All the lights seem to be working fine. Also the headlight aiming system seems to work (when I turn the dial, the lights will raise or lower fine).

I brought the car into the dealer for my 1 year checkup and they said they had seen the issue before and it took them a bit to figure out the problem. They had found that one of the headlights was dimmer than the other one. They called Japan and they said that could cause the malfunction light to come on. They checked my car and it did seem that the drivers side headlight was dimmer than the passenger side one. So they ordered the part (the LED light assembly I assume) and will install it once it comes in.

I was just curious if anyone else had this problem. I will update once they get the issue fixed.

-Peter

Since all the Leafs are (at worst) one year old or younger - and since the warranty (for non power train items) runs 36 months, it'd have to be a warranty issue, right? I ask because I've had the yellow warning probably a dozen times or less, intermittently. I've taken it down even while it was happening, and all they did was scratch their heads and send me on my way. Kind of like our R.F. charger line noise, it would seem. Someone knows what's going on ... the problem is recognized ... some are given service, and yet it doesn't translate to being a remedy for all.

Looking at my service paperwork, it does say WARRANTY next to the section about the headlight problem. Also for UNIT PRICE it says WARRANTY. So Nissan will be footing the bill for this problem.

It lists the part number for the LAMP ASSEMBLY as: 26060-3NA0A

Hopefully I will have more information next week when the part comes in.

-Peter

Update...

So I got the headlight fixed. The dealer called me and said the headlamp assembly had arrived. They had the car for most of the day (they gave me a loaner car) and swapped out the failing assembly. Now the yellow warning light is off and both headlights are equal brightness now.

Just hope this info might help somebody if they find the same warning light come on in their LEAF. While I know that LED lights are supposed to last a long time, I have also experienced when new light technologies (early CFL's and early home LED lights) sometimes have a tendency to fail early. Glad they got it fixed, and hopefully they will last for many many years to come.

-Peter

ok, since everyone is getting it. what does this warning light look like?? is it red?

and the LED assembly is probably way over $1000. it better be a warranty repair on a bulb with a 15 year estimated lifespan!

DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, since everyone is getting it. what does this warning light look like?? is it red?

and the LED assembly is probably way over $1000. it better be a warranty repair on a bulb with a 15 year estimated lifespan!

Hi Dave. I think my issue might be different than the issues brought up in the other topics. In my case, I saw the Yellow Master warning light (Yellow '!' triangle to the left of the speedometer). I also saw the yellow headlight malfunction light (looks like a headlight, with an exclamation point over it), which is to the right of the battery temperature gauge. Once the new LED light assembly was put in, both warning lights turned off.

Hope that helps.

-Peter

prberg said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Hi Dave. I think my issue might be different than the issues brought up in the other topics. In my case, I saw the Yellow Master warning light (Yellow '!' triangle to the left of the speedometer). I also saw the yellow headlight malfunction light (looks like a headlight, with an exclamation point over it), which is to the right of the battery temperature gauge. Once the new LED light assembly was put in, both warning lights turned off.

Hope that helps.

-Peter

thanks for that!. ya, definitely have not seen that yet.

I like the implementation of master warning lights. Reminds me of "Apollo 13".

Hopefully this LED degradation will be rare. Despite the claims of legendary service life, I've had more than one high-power LED failure. Heatsinking, cooling, are crucial to high-power LED, as is staying away from overdriving the emitter. A popped incan is little more than a nuisance. But when you pay $25 for a light bulb (or God knows what for the headlamp module), it better run a looooong time.

Back