Had a chance to demo a Ford Focus Electric today! *Review*

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HXGuy

Ford held a little demo this morning in downtown Phoenix and I said what the hell, why not check it out, especially after just checking out the Nissan Leaf, I could do a back-to-back comparison of sorts.

Cool thing was that they let you take the car out on your own, anywhere really, just be back in 5 or so minutes. I took it out once, came back, there was no one there waiting (they had 3-4 demo cars) so I asked if I could take it out again! :D Since I was by myself, had a chance to take some photos and videos as well.

Now for a little review...

Compared to the Nissan Leaf, the Ford Focus Electric felt a lot more like a normal car. Since it's essentially a retrofit of the regular Ford Focus, nothing is really different aside from the powertrain...inside everything is the same. The car actually felt a little bit more upscale than the Leaf, but also a bit more juvenile in design...like it's more oriented toward a younger male driver. The interior is smaller than the Leaf and the trunk space is a joke.

Driving the Focus Electric was similarly quiet to the Leaf, though there was a slight hum even when at a dead stop which I don't remember hearing in the Leaf. Acceleration felt about the same, and it was just as weird not having an engine noise, especially when you're getting up to 60 MPH and there isn't that near redline scream from an engine. Steering was maybe a little better in the sense that felt more "regular" car like.

The gauges and all that has to do with "electric" was much better in the Leaf if that's your thing. The Leaf throws all sorts of information at you in kW/h and how much power your are regenerating when braking and so on. The Focus Electric has a battery meter on one side of the speedometer and some pretty lame butterflies that appear when you are driving to it's liking (the Leaf has some trees that you build as you drive "good", not that much better but at least they aren't butterflies).

Overall impression was that the Ford Focus Electric felt very much like a normal car, you'd probably easily forget you were even in an electric car once you got into your daily routine. The Leaf on the other hand feels very much like it's a new technology and you're driving a different kind of car, has a very futuristic feel to both the inside and the outside.

Price wise the Ford Focus Electric is ~$2,000 more than the Leaf and while it charged twice as fast at 220V (3.5 hours vs 7 hours), it does not have a Quick Charge port for 440V DC charging like the Leaf does (30 minutes to charge to 80%).

Pictures and videos...

Cool trick "fuel" door...
http://youtu.be/lyZF5j-l7wM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Starting up...
http://youtu.be/I0dNmwM7eKg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Accelerating from 0 to 55 MPH...
http://youtu.be/sqdoQ9rLL1Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Driving around, accelerating, braking...

http://youtu.be/JcZo6XzE95Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

0.jpg

And ironically as I was leaving the event, the gas light came on in the Audi. :laugh1:
10.jpg

Thanks for the review and videos. I'm fairly bummed that the FFE isn't going to be launched near me and the closest dealer will be a about 120 miles away. I was somewhat leaning towards the FFE because of the exterior looks, but I'm not willing to ride with a tow truck driver for 2 hours if it breaks down ;)

Just to clarify something on the Leaf, the 2013 Leaf with have the 6.6 charger. It may be an option instead of standard, but it'll be there. It's why we're buying a Leaf instead of a 2nd Volt (do you hear that GM?).

turbo2ltr said:
2/3rds full and only 37 miles left?

Can you imagine how aggressively these testers are being driven, especially when the Ford guys let you take it out on your own? I'd be pedal to the metal the whole time.

Thanks for the write up. I don't live too far from there but was working during those hours. I've been to that Children's Museum, too, It's pretty cool in there, even for adults. ;)

I am definitely intrigued by the car. It has a thermal management system for the battery, correct, unlike the LEAF?

That trunk space is awful and it definitely doesn't look very distinctive from an ICE car, but I do like the looks of it. 110 mpge is outstanding. What is the EPA rated range? 70-ish like the LEAF?

From the Jay Leno video on the other thread;

- 76 miles (3 more than Leaf) EPA rated range, even though FFE is more heavy and has a slightly smaller battery. How is that possible ?

- The Ford guy (EV program Director) said they did not on purpose provide regen on coasting option (no ECO mode perse) because they believe that a driver would use the breaks to slow down if needed. i thought that was a bit dumb, as I see the ECO mode regen-on-coasting feature in Leaf extermly useful in city stop and go driving. I hardly use the brakes when i see a red-light, except only to come to a full stop at the last few seconds.

But inspite of that if they managed to get more range than the Leaf, I am impressed. Not so impressed with the price though..

Thanks for the info, the pics, and the vids. The Focus is one heck of a looker! Good luck to Ford!

HXGuy said:
Ford held a little demo this morning in downtown Phoenix [...] and the trunk space is a joke.
On the plus side, some of the batteries being back there gives the Focus EV a BMW-like 50-50 weight distribution.

KeiJidosha said:
HXGuy said:
Ford held a little demo this morning in downtown Phoenix...
How did you hear about the test drive? I’m surprised how stealthy the FFE introduction has been.
Ditto.

I don't even know where to find out about these. IIRC, there was an FFE event in the Bay Area a few weeks ago but of course, there was no announcement that I knew of and no mention of it at http://www.ford.com/electric/focuselectric/2012/buzz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the Facebook page nor Twitter feeds they link to nor https://www.facebook.com/FordElectricVehicles/events" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. :?

mkjayakumar said:
- 76 miles (3 more than Leaf) EPA rated range, even though FFE is more heavy and has a slightly smaller battery. How is that possible ?

The Focus Bev is about 4" shorter, that lowers frontal area and drag.. you can do the same in the Leaf by slowing down a bit.

mkjayakumar said:
- The Ford guy (EV program Director) said they did not on purpose provide regen on coasting option (no ECO mode perse) because they believe that a driver would use the brakes to slow down if needed. i thought that was a bit dumb, as I see the ECO mode regen-on-coasting feature in Leaf extermly useful in city stop and go driving. I hardly use the brakes when i see a red-light, except only to come to a full stop at the last few seconds.

Actually that is optimum if you want to get the best range, since regen is not 100% efficient in recovering power you should drive as if you had no brakes and depend on air and tire drag to slow you down.. in any case its still available if you touch the brake pedal. This is the number 1 tenet of advanced hypermiling techniques.. not for the faint of heart!. I wish it was optional in the Leaf without putting the transmission in neutral.

HXGuy said:
KeiJidosha said:
HXGuy said:
Ford held a little demo this morning in downtown Phoenix...
How did you hear about the test drive? I’m surprised how stealthy the FFE introduction has been.

Saw it on a local paper's website the night before.
The tour was in Atlanta the day before (may be 2 tours?) They only sent notice to the local clean air people about 10 days in advance.

I missed the info session ahead of the test drive, but it was a very laid back test drive and I rode and swapped places with EV clubbers. We were all asking about regen mode and they acted like we were nuts. They said they had dialed it in to feel like a "real car", which I guess means an automatic. I like the way ECO feels like a manual transmission. None of us saw a single butterfly, but as has been said, everyone was putting the pedal down to see how it did. Pretty impressive except for the hatch :cry: Keep your eyes open; I tried googling their "Go Further" tour, but I couldn't come up with a list of cities.

nogajim said:
The tour was in Atlanta the day before (may be 2 tours?) They only sent notice to the local clean air people about 10 days in advance.

...We were all asking about regen mode and they acted like we were nuts. They said they had dialed it in to feel like a "real car", which I guess means an automatic. I like the way ECO feels like a manual transmission...
I was surprised to see the FFE at EVS26 with Ford not even on the vendor list. More flash mob than tour.

It seems many of the big companies are staying away from the right pedal regen. Coming from the MINI E, definitely not my preference. I think Ford is thinking about lawyers not hypermilers. Brake pedal response seemed over boosted, but I could probably get used to it. It's also early production and it may get better with time. I'm interested in Focus and C-Max energi so hope it improves. By “real car”, I think they mean not for the sports car inclined.

KeiJidosha said:
I think Ford is thinking about lawyers not hypermilers.

Probably the opposite, most cars with automatic transmission have engine braking once you let go of the gas pedal.. changing this in the Focus, with its "automatic transmission", is legally risky. Perhaps they really did it for the hypermilers. Good for them.

Herm said:
Actually that is optimum if you want to get the best range, since regen is not 100% efficient in recovering power you should drive as if you had no brakes and depend on air and tire drag to slow you down.. in any case its still available if you touch the brake pedal. This is the number 1 tenet of advanced hypermiling techniques.. not for the faint of heart!. I wish it was optional in the Leaf without putting the transmission in neutral.
You can still do this while driving the Leaf in ECO mode by feathering the accelerator pedal properly. I find it a lot more convenient to get a bit of regen (I try to keep it to an absolute minimum) with the accelerator pedal instead of moving my foot over to the brake pedal. This is especially true in city traffic where you can't always anticipate and often need to use a bit more regen than you would like.

aqn said:
Is there such a thing as a hypermiler who never needs to use the brakes?
If not, why is re-gen braking superfluous?
It has regen braking, it's just mostly on the BRAKE pedal. I personally prefer this. I do the best when I can easily coast. Others prefer to carefully "feather" the accelerator to accomplish the same.

aqn said:
Is there such a thing as a hypermiler who never needs to use the brakes?
If not, why is re-gen braking superfluous?

Sure, its just called basic hypermiling.. dont race to a stop light, slow down a bit, inflate your tires, take all the junk out of the trunk and so on. Advanced hypermilers will peg the Leafs efficiency meter past 8 miles/kWh. Our LEAFfan holds the record at 8.3 miles/kWh

Back