"Greener" Synthetic Fuels

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N1ghtrider

Israeli scientists are working on creating “green” fuel for cars from greenhouse gas emissions.
The project makes use of technology developed by Professor Jacob Karni, head of the Weizmann Institute of Science Energy Center in the department of environmental sciences of energy research. Karni is also a supervisor for the institute's solar program.
Together with Dr. Avner Rothschild from the Technion in Haifa, Karni received a $200,000 grant in 2010 to carry out the research from the Israel Strategic Alternative Energy Foundation, based in Silicon Valley.
The technology uses concentrated solar energy to divide the two oxygen molecules in carbon dioxide, thereby creating oxygen and carbon monoxide. It also divides water into hydrogen and oxygen, and allows for the synthesis of carbon monoxide and hydrogen into a mixture called “Syngas.”
The gaseous “Syngas” is then converted into methanol for use as fuel for a vehicle.
Methanol is already being used as a fuel for cars in several countries around the world.
Ten Gasoline is in partnership with Dor Chemicals to test a blend of methanol and gasoline here in Israel.
The Israeli startup NewCO2Fuels Ltd and Australian partner Greenearth Energy Ltd have acquired the technology license for the project, and intend to begin a pilot project shortly.

Soon, CO2 will become a valuable commodity, instead of a waste product to be dumped.. its the history of modern industry.

Herm said:
Soon, CO2 will become a valuable commodity, instead of a waste product to be dumped.. its the history of modern industry.
I note that the main interest in this process is to allow more coal to be burned. In that vein, I offer the following predictions:

Soon, the mercury emitted from burning coal will become a valuable commodity.
Soon, the sulfur dioxide emitted from burning coal will become a valuable commodity.
Soon the nitrous oxide emitted from burning coal will become a valuable commodity.
Soon the arsenic emitted from burning coal will become a valuable commodity.
Soon the small particulates emitted from burning coal will become a valuable commodity.

Methanol is the form of alcohol that corrodes aluminum and eats gaskets. I've worked with a race truck team that burned methanol - I don't ever want to feel my eyes burning like that again. :(

NOx emissions are lower but...

With methanol, compared with gasoline, 60 per cent lower NOx, 3·5 times higher unburned fuel emissions (UBF), and similar CO engine emissions were measured. the air pollution significance of the higher UBF emissions from methanol combustion is unknown because the UBF species (mainly methanol) are different from those from gasoline combustion.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/er.4440030305/abstract

If nothing else, this is a good way to burn through grant money. :(

Sloaty - LOL!

Back