Grabby Brakes?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poolrider said:
has anyone compared the problem by driving without the ECO mode on? A Nissan engineer recommended it. Without the eco mode on, the brakes work better. They're still not great, but better. It might be a problem with the regen system.

He also recommended just charging to 80%. I don't even know how to do that and don't think that i should sacrifice range to get better brakes.
I usually drive without ECO mode on and still experience the issue. Although I do charge to 100%, I've seen the issue even at much lower SOC...

poolrider said:
has anyone compared the problem by driving without the ECO mode on? A Nissan engineer recommended it. Without the eco mode on, the brakes work better. They're still not great, but better. It might be a problem with the regen system.

He also recommended just charging to 80%. I don't even know how to do that and don't think that i should sacrifice range to get better brakes.
Shame he didn't just recommend that Nissan fix the brakes...

GeekEV said:
TomT said:
I had the service and software upgrade and see absolutely no improvement in the brake issue.
+1 me neither
UkrainianKozak said:
Could it be because of rain/wet pads so they feel more grabby when they dry up? I haven't rained since my service yet...
Nope. I just had it happen to me yesterday with passengers in the car and it's been 80+ degrees all week here.

Well, I think you got it in reverse ;) my point is... it happens when the brakes are WET, not dry... So when they dry out from friction they grab more: Pads wet-> you apply more pressure -> pads dry -> brakes grab more

If I'm recalling my recent occurrences They all happen when it was rainy/drizzly, but that's how it is most of the times in Seattle ;)

I have experienced this behavior several times. Inspecting the brake disks I noticed they were dull and a little rusty. I took the LEAF out and accelerated to 50 dropped into Neutral and stomped on the brakes pretty hard. I did this 3-4 times and the breaks have been perfect since even at very low speeds. I make it a point to drop into Neutral and break hard every trip or two… Seems to help out a lot.

UkrainianKozak said:
Well, I think you got it in reverse ;) my point is... it happens when the brakes are WET, not dry... So when they dry out from friction they grab more: Pads wet-> you apply more pressure -> pads dry -> brakes grab more
And my point was that it still happens to me even when it clearly HASN'T been wet all week...

poolrider said:
There is no discernible difference betweet eco and normal mode.

poolrider said:
I always charge to 80% and seldomly to 100%, the grabby brakes occur at the same rate independent of the charge.

-= Clemens

GeekEV said:
UkrainianKozak said:
And my point was that it still happens to me even when it clearly HASN'T been wet all week...

Yea, you are right, I probably have logical bipolar disorder or something like it :)
But for me still, almost 2 weeks after service, haven't happened to me... Before I was noticing it fairly often...

It would be useful if people that experience the grabby brakes file a complaint with the NHTSA. That way a record exists of how serious and widespread this problem is. This also might create additional motivation for Nissan to work towards a fix.

The website to file a complaint is here:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-= Clemens

I continue to experience "the problem", but don't feel like filing a complaint with the NHTSA.
Even though it is a minor annoyance I haven't found it to be a safety issue for me.
In general, I find that the brakes on the LEAF work quite well and inspire confidence.

The only time the brakes have done the "artificial grab" is when I am going very slowly already.

[quote...]I haven't found it to be a safety issue for me.[/quote]

Anytime you have brakes that sometimes don't work as you expect it you have a safety issue. In my case the problem came up when taking a curve at normal speeds when I hit wet pavement. I did not feel like I could safely apply the brakes since I feared I'd lose traction if they would grab. The outcome was fortunately not a crash, but it's just a matter of time until something happens.

It would be hard for anyone involved in a more serious accident caused by the grabby brakes to argue the brakes might be the cause if there is no record of of this problem.

-= Clemens

Hello,
The only time mine feel grabby is occasionally when I'm going very slow and feathering the brakes when first taking off. It may do it once or twice (getting out of the driveway) but as soon as I drive down the road the brakes are perfect.

bowthom said:
Hello,
The only time mine feel grabby is occasionally when I'm going very slow and feathering the brakes when first taking off. It may do it once or twice (getting out of the driveway) but as soon as I drive down the road the brakes are perfect.
+1. I have only experienced this "grabbiness" two or three times, and it was always at very low speeds, either when I applied the brakes too abruptly, or I was in a "stop and go" situation where I slowed down, then "feathered" or trailed off the brake to "coast" a little more, and then reapplied the brakes without ever lifting completely off the pedal. I have never felt like it was a safety problem in any way, just a mild annoyance that the brake software did not seem to react appropriately for the amount of pressure I was applying. I don't feel that there is any real reason for me to complain about the car's braking performance, overall, as in the vast majority of applications, the system has performed perfectly. I do feel like they are "over-boosted" a bit, just like the steering, especially when getting into the car after driving an old-school, non-power-brake car. I have to adjust my driving style and treat the brake pedal much more gently, as if it has an egg taped on top of it that I must be careful not to break. My wife, who has driven the car much more than I have, has never complained of this issue at all.

TT

+1 Agreed. Not a safety issue. But damn embarrassing if anybody's watching or it you have passengers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

garygid said:
Can anybody reliabily re-create this problem "on demand"
for a dealer, service guy, or the LEAF tech/engineer?
Brake to come to a stop. Just before you come to a full stop -- at about 10 MPH -- release the brake and then re-engage. Grabs every time for me. May happen other times but this is when I notice it.

Not the end of the world IMO. Just not very refined.

EDIT: Go a friend to try it. Got the problem one out of four times. The speed is lower, more like 5 MPH, and you can't allow a lot of time between when you release the brake pedal and when you re-engage it.

I just had a very disconcerting experience. Someone in front of me did a panic stop (for absolutely no reason), but I had plenty of distance to slow down with quick-but-only-moderate braking (meaning I applied the brakes suddenly but not nearly enough to lock them up). Well, the brakes locked and anti-lock kicked in and my brakes grabbed and wouldn't release. It was the most awkward feeling ever having my foot complete off the brake but still having the car anti-lock to almost a stop. I had to actually push the gas to get it to ungrab so I wouldn't get rear-ended. I immediately pulled off the road. I also have dashcam of the incident with G-sensor data.

First time I was ever left with a feeling of not being in control of my car. I don't like cars that do things that I don't want them to do.

kubel said:
I just had a very disconcerting experience. Someone in front of me did a panic stop (for absolutely no reason), but I had plenty of distance to slow down with quick-but-only-moderate braking (meaning I applied the brakes suddenly but not nearly enough to lock them up). Well, the brakes locked and anti-lock kicked in and my brakes grabbed and wouldn't release. It was the most awkward feeling ever having my foot complete off the brake but still having the car anti-lock to almost a stop. I had to actually push the gas to get it to ungrab so I wouldn't get rear-ended. I immediately pulled off the road. I also have dashcam of the incident with G-sensor data.

First time I was ever left with a feeling of not being in control of my car. I don't like cars that do things that I don't want them to do.
Eek :(

Need a second dash cam of your foot to correlate the Gs to when your foot released if this happens again. I wonder if we can figure out how to reproduce it on demand. :)

kubel said:
Well, the brakes locked and anti-lock kicked in and my brakes grabbed and wouldn't release. It was the most awkward feeling ever having my foot complete off the brake but still having the car anti-lock to almost a stop.
This is an intentional safety function of the ABS programming called "brake assist", which is triggered by how fast you actuate the brake pedal, and designed to deliver full braking power when you apply the pedal quickly even if you are not pushing the pedal that hard or modulate it intentionally. It is a different issue than the low-speed "grabby brakes" syndrome being discussed here, but is related in that the braking function is not being controlled simply by your inputs but by electronic programming intended to be smarter than you are. I also hate it, and it was an extreme impediment to fast lap times when I autocrossed the Leaf, since if you got into the ABS under braking and then wanted to modulate the pedal to trail brake, it would continue to brake fully under ABS because it thinks you are in a panic stop situation.

See the last post on p. 4 of this thread where videos demonstrate the "brake assist" systems that are on many modern cars w/ ABS. As a performance driver, I hate this idea--just give me a purely mechanical/hydraulic system that responds to my inputs proportionally, not a computer that tries to out-think me and takes over control of the car in the name of safety!

TT

Yeah, I brought up brake assist before... Here is more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_assist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/brake-assist1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... What if the electronic gizmos that activate it get a bit too sensitive, leading to jerky stops every time the driver taps the brakes? Auto enthusiast magazines have long railed against these electronic "nannies" that take much of the skill -- and the thrill -- out of driving...
...As for the powerful braking action coming into play when you don't want it to, the engineers sought to make sure that doesn't happen. Brake assist is what automotive engineers call a driver-adaptive system. In other words, the electronics that control brake assist measure and monitor the driver's normal driving patterns, including application of the brakes...
...You don't have to be an automotive visionary to realize that with a little fine-tuning or perhaps some more processing power, these technologies collectively could eventually lead to cars that drive themselves. That could cut down drastically on collisions. That sounds great, but are people ready to surrender control of their vehicle to a computer in exchange for greater safety?...

Back