Go with biggest you can

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrifeyed

I tend to agree with those that recommend to go with the heaviest circuit you can; it is a hassle to buy and install it, but then it is there for future vehicles that can use more amps. The cost of cable isn't going to go down over time.

One thing to note though (although an electrictian can handle it). We purchased a lower powered EVSE for my wife's volt (Voltec - its a nice unit, but only up to 15 amps, so 3.3 kw charger max, but its cheap too). The inside connectors to connect the home wire to the EVSE were tiny. We had set up the subpanel and wired a 40 amp 240v breaker with associated wire (6 to 8 gauge I think..something thick). The inside of the EVSE only allowed a signifincantly smaller wire to fit into the "bridge" connector. The electricition guy had to cut strands out of the thicker gauge wire to fit and connect to the Voletc EVSE. Other EVSEs may be set up the same way, so just be aware if you are trying to do it as DIY or something.

Pipcecil said:
... The electricition guy had to cut strands out of the thicker gauge wire to fit and connect to the Voletc EVSE. Other EVSEs may be set up the same way, so just be aware if you are trying to do it as DIY or something.
I'm not an expert, but I don't believe that's the correct procedure to handle that problem. I believe they are supposed to use morettes (those twist-on thingees used by electrician guys to connect two wires together) to switch to a smaller wire that will fit properly.

Back