Get a S or SV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mgs333 said:
I've heard the navigation is slow and horrible, and yet here people are stating it's a reason to get the SV or an S...?

I got an S w/ QC and have zero regrets but I do live in California
The nav system isn't that slow. Horrible? It's not great and not really even good but not horrible. On my '13 SV, its voice recognition is EXTREMELY limited compared to the nav on my 06 Prius. I can't even dictate an address as destination on the Leaf whereas I can on my Prius (e.g. Address, California, (city name), (street name), (house number), etc.) I can't even say stuff that my Prius would allow like: restaurants (or I'm hungry), Chinese restaurants, etc.

It does work though and the routes seem reasonable.

I wouldn't want an S. I wanted the heat pump hybrid heater and to not have Carwings to check on charging status and be notified if it stopped is completed is helpful, along w/being able to remotely start the climate control or set its timer.

Navigation isn't really the selling point here (although having a street map available instantly, even a mediocre one, IS handy). It's the other things that come with the SV, like CarWings, the Bose stereo system with XM, and especially as noted, the heat pump.

I got a 15 S with QC and don't miss anything about the higher trim models. That said, with 16's coming out soon, the higher capacity battery would make the SV a no brainer, if we can assume prices remain relatively unchanged from '15.

Nfuzzy said:
I got a 15 S with QC and don't miss anything about the higher trim models.
To each his/her own. I'm in the market for a used Leaf when I turn in my SV w/QC + LED and premium packages.

I'm looking for an SV w/premium package because I'm enjoying the Bose stereo (wouldn't want the non-Bose in the SV and definitely not the stereo in the S) and love the Around View Monitor camera system. And, I like having the fast to heat up hybrid heater. And, I like being able to check the # of fuel bars in my car remotely, receive charging stopped notifications and start the preheat/cooling remotely or via timer via the Leaf app.

cwerdna said:
And, I like being able to check the # of fuel bars in my car remotely, receive charging stopped notifications and start the preheat/cooling remotely or via timer via the Leaf app.

For the next 17 months and 19 days anyway until AT&T shuts off 2G service.

nbs17 said:
I am looking at a new purchase and have a couple of questions to bounce off others...

I don't have a big preference but also tell me why you would spend more on an SV? Maybe I am missing something? ;)
The OP is located in Atlanta, and currently is leasing a 2014 S LEAF (no heat pump).
As someone that has had to live with the high power use heater in a climate similar to Atlanta, if I was getting a new LEAF I would definitely spend the $ to get the heat pump heater on SV or SL.

But OP is leasing LEAF without heat pump, so maybe they are OK with it :?:

But keep in mind capacity declines with time and savings from heat pump become much more important as the LEAF gets older.

If or when I spring for a new electric vehicle, it will be top end with all the options just like I did on 2011 LEAF.
Just wish 2011 LEAF had offered a lot more options like the 2013 LEAF forward does.

For resale value I would get a SV or SL. When I was looking at purchasing my used 2013 I didn't even think of getting a S. They seem to ecobox and didn't have the features that I wanted. But I would have to agree the vehicle that you purchase will have to have a L2 charger or range and time to charge will become a problem.

Let us know what you decide and welcome to the EV community.

Frankly, I consider myself to be of sufficient self worth that I simply don't ever want to have the bottom of the line stripper in any car line! I enjoy the amenities too much...

Has anyone mentioned the Base SV model? That would have the heatpump unit, but with none of the usual SV options the resale would be just about as low as that of an S.

LeftieBiker said:
Has anyone mentioned the Base SV model? That would have the heatpump unit, but with none of the usual SV options the resale would be just about as low as that of an S.
But a base SV has nav, Carwings, 6 kW OBC and 6-speaker stereo (presumably better than the 4-speaker on the S).

It also appears that the '15 S still doesn't have A2DP Bluetooth music streaming (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=410509#p410509) which is on the SV and SL.

Back