Gen 2 Chevrolet Volt PHEV (2016+) MSRP $33,995

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wennfred said:
Now the question is, does the EV Miles holds up to be true miles or is it like a guess o meter, GOM style?

Fred

Our 2013 had delivered better than the advertised range during winter (a pretty consistent 40 miles at only 3.7m/kWh). It's active cooling during summertime that kills the Volt's AER.

Another roadtest article ... GM says you might be able to get 70 miles in electric mode --- challenge in on to those hyper milers ...

http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/2016-chevrolet-volt-first-drive#ixzz3kUp6e5ds

It is just me or does that engine compartment shot look like they added lots of Reynolds wrap (aluminum foil) and what appears to be an expansion tank for the radiator appears a last minute add; no mention but this could indeed still be a pre-production car that lacks a few finishing touches ...

redLEAF said:
Another roadtest article ... GM says you might be able to get 70 miles in electric mode --- challenge in on to those hyper milers ...

http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/2016-chevrolet-volt-first-drive#ixzz3kUp6e5ds

It is just me or does that engine compartment shot look like they added lots of Reynolds wrap (aluminum foil) and what appears to be an expansion tank for the radiator appears a last minute add; no mention but this could indeed still be a pre-production car that lacks a few finishing touches ...

You're right it looks like a lot of foil was added as an after thought. I notice the oxygen sensor right there just behind the top of the radiator so the catalytic converter must be nearby which means there's a lot of heat in this region. That's probably the reason for the foil.

Speaking of the ICE, I've read that it has been changed a lot to be quieter and deliver better gas mileage. Early reviewers are reporting gas mileage better than the EPA 42 mpg. I would think with all the improvements mileage should be close to that of the Prius. That's not bad when you consider that it can go 53 miles all electric.

LKK said:
...Early reviewers are reporting gas mileage better than the EPA 42 mpg. I would think with all the improvements mileage should be close to that of the Prius. That's not bad when you consider that it can go 53 miles all electric.
I think the new Prius PHEV could be real competition, with a probable MSRP of ~$30,000, and a rumored E range of ~30-35 miles.

The Article below notes this source got the Prius' new (ugly, IMO) body style right, so it might also have the hybrid specs right, and the Prius PHEV could come pretty close to them.
...Have 2016 Toyota Prius Specs Already Been Revealed?

According to the Taiwanese report in July, the 2016 Prius Liftback earned 40 km/L on the very liberal Japanese JC08 cycle, or close to 94 mpg. This is high but not impossible, as the report says the present version has been rated up to 37 km/L.

If correct, this is an 8-percent increase on the Japanese cycle. The U.S. rates the 2015 at 50 mpg, and an 8-percent increase would be 54 mpg, although testing is different in the U.S. so an actual number might not be proportional to Japan...

Curb weight is pared from the 2015 model’s 3,042 pounds to 2,843 pounds (1,290 kg).

How Close To Accurate Are These Specs?

That will be revealed hopefully next week. We were told by a fully reliable source that Toyota will dribble out Prius info over the fall season, and this seems to be confirmed by what’s planned next week.
http://www.hybridcars.com/have-2016-toyota-prius-specs-already-been-revealed/

edatoakrun said:
LKK said:
...Early reviewers are reporting gas mileage better than the EPA 42 mpg. I would think with all the improvements mileage should be close to that of the Prius. That's not bad when you consider that it can go 53 miles all electric.
I think the new Prius PHEV could be real competition, with a probable MSRP of ~$30,000, and a rumored E range of ~30-35 miles.

The Article below notes this source got the Prius' new (ugly, IMO) body style right <snip>
Yes, they've seemingly borrowed from the Mirai school of design, and in the shots I've seen it appears to look distinctly worse than Prius gen 2 and 3. Have to wait for better photos and seeing one in the flesh to be sure. The looks of the new Volt are growing on me - there's enough of a family resemblance to show the ancestry, but it's still new (even if it does resemble a Civic).

Fred,
I am just curious:
Based on your shopping experience, were the dealers marking up the prices or are they offering decent deals ?
Since it's a new model, I was under the impression that dealers usually mark up their pricing.

Wennfred said:
Placed my order last week, should be available for pick up 6 - 8 weeks, Siren Red.

$100.00 over invoice. Invoice runs $31,100.

$100.00 above invoice, Distination charge of 800.00, Advertising fees, then Tax & License, you're looking at around $33,000 even.

LT model, no lit charge port, that's a whopping $225.00 add on, a mod to light the charge port should run under $10.00

Black cloth interior, no leather for me.

The only thing I wanted was the LTZ wheels but that was an additional $1800.00, not worth the cost.

Saved 12 long months for this, will be paid off upon pick up.

The Volt has been built, event code 4000, awaiting train transport and the Vin # has been issued.

Fred

said it back in 2011 that the Volt would not sell until they priced it correctly and not surprised it got another price cut this year especially considering one of their largest markets in WA State just added them this year for the tax credit if the sticker is reasonable (under $35,000) enough :)

Wennfred said:
$100.00 above invoice, Distination charge of 800.00, Advertising fees, then Tax & License, you're looking at around $33,000 even.
LT model, no lit charge port, that's a whopping $225.00 add on, a mod to light the charge port should run under $10.00
Black cloth interior, no leather for me.
The only thing I wanted was the LTZ wheels but that was an additional $1800.00, not worth the cost.
Saved 12 long months for this, will be paid off upon pick up.
The Volt has been built, event code 4000, awaiting train transport and the Vin # has been issued.
Fred
That is really a great job on all accounts. I applaud your savings. Looking forward to hearing about your real world experience.

Wennfred said:

Wow... that sounds quite good. Surprised it's only $100 over invoice. How much were advertising fees? I'm surprised the deals seem already decent before the car's even available.

For some cars, at the beginning, they won't go that low.

Wennfred said:
Now the question is, does the EV Miles holds up to be true miles or is it like a guess o meter, GOM style?

Fred
In my experience the range estimate was a tiny bit high at the end. For instance, if I shut the Volt down with two miles on the battery indicator and got back in to go somewhere else, I was on the generator right away.

Thanks Fred.
It's definitely an awesome deal. Well done! ;-)
I doubt there's a deal similar to yours that's attainable in the SF Bay Area whilst the vehicle is yet in volume...

Wennfred said:
We don't know what the Advertising fees are, will update when I get the info.

Wennfred, what dealer did you order from? I'm thinking a Volt 2 would be a great upgrade from a Gen 2 Prius, but really want to check one out first to make sure it's big enough.

Ordered a blue one. See Sig.
8WW8UdL.png

2016 Chevy Volt rollout includes attack ads on Nissan Leaf, Toyota Prius

...starting later this fall, two long-form ads will debut on the Internet. The first one, a shot at the battery electric Nissan Leaf, aims to show how the Volt eliminates range anxiety -- the fear of running out of battery power. The second ad compares the nickel metal hydride battery technology in the top-selling Toyota Prius to that of late 1990s consumer electronics. The Volt uses more advanced lithium ion batteries.

The ads will have a familiar look and feel. They continue the focus group setting featuring consumers -- not actors -- that Chevrolet showcased earlier this year when it touted high strength steel against aluminum in a bid to put a few dings in Ford’s new lightweight F-150.

Chevrolet’s global chief marketing officer, Tim Mahoney, said those ads have been extremely effective in helping improve Chevrolet’s brand image. Mahoney said Chevrolet’s “shattering perceptions” ads have bumped consumers’ favorable opinion of the brand by 3 percent.

The Leaf ad traps the focus group between floors in dead elevators, leaving them stranded there to emphasize the frustration of being stuck, a major concern for drivers of battery powered cars such as the Leaf...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150930/RETAIL03/150939993/2016-chevy-volt-rollout-includes-attack-ads-on-nissan-leaf-toyota

Perhaps Nissan will counter with an ad showing an elevator equipped with an ICE range-extender.

As the crowded elevator passes the fiftieth floor of a high-rise, the ICE stars up.

At the hundredth floor, the door opens, and a smog cloud slowly clears to reveal all the elevator passengers dead of asphyxiation...

Back