GE Wattstation - Installation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the weatherproof outlet cover is too small for the bulky cable. I need to find a bigger one. At least it is all in a painted wood box...that's getting rained on right now. I think I might add a roofing shingle at some point.

I like the idea of being able to detach the EVSE should it need service or replacement. Also, it came with the plug attached so installing an outlet seemed like the path of least resistance.

On the power calculation: a 120v 15A outlet produces 1.8kwh. I used to trickle charge my LEAF from 4pm to 5am to go from 7bars to 11bars. 1bar = 2kw. 1.8kw x 13hrs = 23.4kwh used to charge up 8kw of battery.

On an L2 240v 30A produces 7.2kw...1bar to 12bars is 4.5hrs of charging. 6.6kw Charger x 4.5hrs = 29.7kw used to gain 22kw of battery.

Am I wrong?

RCEV13 said:
I like the idea of being able to detach the EVSE should it need service or replacement. Also, it came with the plug attached so installing an outlet seemed like the path of least resistance.

On the power calculation: a 120v 15A outlet produces 1.8kwh. I used to trickle charge my LEAF from 4pm to 5am to go from 7bars to 11bars. 1bar = 2kw. 1.8kw x 13hrs = 23.4kwh used to charge up 8kw of battery.

On an L2 240v 30A produces 7.2kw...1bar to 12bars is 4.5hrs of charging. 6.6kw Charger x 4.5hrs = 29.7kw used to gain 22kw of battery.

Am I wrong?

Yep, the 80% rules means a 15 amp circuit has a continuous load limit of 12 amps so the made the LEAF charger draw a max of 12 amps when on 120 volts. I also don't think it's correct say 1 bar is 2kw. Also since the bars are not very granular you could have charged from the bottom of 7 and to the top of 11. Then it also tampers the charge rate after 80 percent or so but I don't know when it does it to below L1 rates. Here is Phil's work on charging efficiency: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8583" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really clean install and the outdoor cabinet is a great touch. I just finished installing the Schneider L2 unit in my garage, the GE definitely looks cooler.

Update:

Last night my 200A double-pole main breaker got overloaded (significant amount of heat around the main breaker). None of the smaller breakers tripped so I don't know if the L2 EVSE is responsible. The car was charging at the time. In response I decided to replace all the breakers in the panel (they were all over 30 years old). The main breaker was a Sylvania GTE which is now sold as a Zinsco....only quick option here in San Jose is to buy a reconditioned one at BayBreakers at 7th & Commercial St. The smaller breakers were purchased from Lowes for $37 a piece (ouch!).

Apparently there was a short outage earlier in the day while I was at work, but none of the breakers tripped in that event either.

I'm going to start using the charging timer in the car...set it to start at midnight as a precaution (even though at the time of the failure event the total amps being pulled by the house + the EVSE could not have been more than 100A maximum).

The EVSE and LEAF are fine.

Zinsco panels have a reputation of being very dangerous and causing house fires. Call an electrician and get a quote and ask them about your panel.

GlennD said:
Zinsco panels have a reputation of being very dangerous and causing house fires. Call an electrician and get a quote and ask them about your panel.

+1. My house had a Zinsco main panel, and I decided to swap it out when I got my EVSE installed. I'm glad I did. There were scorch marks where several of the breakers were attached. Plus, one of the breakers was practically welded on, most likely from arcing.

The funny thing is, prior to replacing my panel, both an electrician and an electrical inspector said they have never seen problems with Zinscos when I asked them about their notorious reputation. Too bad they didn't see my old panel. Hopefully that would have changed their minds.

MikeD said:
Two minor comments to OP:
1) I notice that the most current version (6/12) of the GE WattStation Wall Mount: Plug-in Version (model EVWSWBC) Installation Guide and also User Manual specify "Wall power receptacle with a weatherproof locking cover is required", whereas previous (07/11) versions of those manuals (older PDFs still linked to by Lowes at this time) only read "... is recommended.". In his pictures RCEV13 clearly has a cover over the receptacle (although locked would make it doubly secure, imo).

However, please ESPECIALLY note that the weatherproof locking cover is required regardless of whether the plug-in model is installed indoors or outdoors, i.e. it also serves the purpose of limiting ready access to the receptacle from children.

As far as I know, the weatherproof locking cover is required only on outdoor mounted units. (I haven't seen the specific document referenced by MikeD though, but I relied on this 2012 document https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:kSwYrWY4F1AJ:www.geindustrial.com/publibrary/checkout/Brochures%257CDEA-533A%257Cgeneric+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShp7NXV0nRE8cs1FENKH7_v9ywFPrVvCTlmbalW2rvmOHvHWyxcfDTMw3Omwqmcu6wHgD-cLSS0CoK3Ry5NHqL0uFprriF0-f0DJPeC0PdBzxdrwbgsONiA236a2iBCpJJ3FpYk&sig=AHIEtbRfd_TsCaXbgNKW5coEv9qnS0CIeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) I spoke with one of the "big guys" there at GE, due to the fact that my Wattstation, which had been stored for many months, had some of the wires come loose during shipping, so he was helping to troubleshoot it, and in fact we easily restored it to working condition. He stated that the drawing was in fact for an outdoor location.

Also, as Rauv pointed out in a previous post helping me, http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11026&p=259265#p259265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ,

"If your 6-50 receptacle is mounted outside and in a protected area from the elements (i.e damp locations, not wet location as defined in the NEC) then you need a weatherproof enclosure for your receptacle. Article 406.9 of the 2011 NEC reads as follows:

"406.9 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations - A receptacle installed outdoors in a location protected from the weather or in other damp locations shall have an enclosure for the receptacle that is weatherproof when the receptacle is covered (attachment plug cap not inserted and receptacle covers closed)."

As an additional detail, the mounting hardware has been changed for the 2012 version from 3/8" fasteners to 1/4" fasteners. I had heard that the 3/8" fasteners were slightly too big for the mounting bracket holes, but I don't know that for a fact as I followed the 2012 instructions and used 1/4" x 1 3/4" concrete hex screws (I chose stainless).

You might also want to note, as I had almost overlooked it, that the height from the floor to the bottom of the mounting bracket should be 18" minimum for indoor use and 24" minimum for outdoor use. That keeps the installed unit at an ADA compliant height.

Update:

I added a silicone sealant around the box.

During the first city inspection I was told to fix 3 items: add plugs/seals to the receptacle box (it comes with 2 but I needed 4 total), run the conduit all the way up to the service panel, and to properly ground the receptacle box (run a short length of wire back out of the 6-50 outlet's ground and to the screw on the back of the receptacle).

After the second inspection I was told to add more supports to secure the conduit to the wall, and to (again) fix the grounding of the receptacle box. Given that the 8 gauge wire is stranded you have to use a ring or spade terminal (or use a solid wire).

Next week will be the last inspection.

I've been consistently using the Wattstation since I replaced my main 200A breaker and everything is fine. I always power on the station and wait for it to cycle before connecting it to the car.

Thanks for this! Nice job, nice pix, and very informative! I'm installing my Watt Station this weekend. I got it for $700 on eBay.

The software bug seems to be in the GE unit. We have a 2013 that won;t charge and I also tried a friend that has a 2011. Most other EVSE work fine but a few say charged and never charge.
Nissan said they can't remove new updated and the fix was over written in a newer code. They had over ridden the odd way the EVSE started charging but say it was the EVSE trying to be advanced that was the issue. It's hard to get a staring answer so far. It's a he did it not me.

Let me know what you find with so many new EVSE makers on the market.

jstack6 said:
The software bug seems to be in the GE unit. We have a 2013 that won;t charge and I also tried a friend that has a 2011. Most other EVSE work fine but a few say charged and never charge.
Nissan said they can't remove new updated and the fix was over written in a newer code. They had over ridden the odd way the EVSE started charging but say it was the EVSE trying to be advanced that was the issue. It's hard to get a staring answer so far. It's a he did it not me.

Let me know what you find with so many new EVSE makers on the market.

First, it is obvious that the software bug was/is not in the GE unit, as Nissan is the one who had to fix their code. It is my understanding that Nissan did not follow exactly the "rules" for the EVSE. Maybe an expert here could further explain that. The problem was not at the start of the charge, but if the charge was interrupted momentarily and somehow during the restart there was too much inrush of current and a diode in the onboard charger would be destroyed. And as has been documented, other EVSEs have destroyed the onboard charger too, not just the GE Wattstation.

I had the fix done, with much angst and gnashing of teeth by Nissan. Which is surprising since I'd think they would want to protect their $1000 or $1500 charger that is under warranty. And in fact, I think this saved it once, not from my GE Wattstation but from a L2 charger with a problem. I came back and the car had stopped charging, with the dashboard light coming on, but once the car was restarted everything was fine.

It is extremely interesting if a different update from Nissan will override the Wattstation update. Can anybody verify that? I'll be contacting Nissan to see.

I love to see people take on electrical projects. So many people are so scared of it. Now, do you feel up to changing out your panel? You can do it!

Back