Gas Cars in EV spots

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerdare

Hi, Have read on here for awhile but never posted. Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with Gas cars taking EV charging spots. I did a search and didn't find anything. This weekend I needed to charge and both street spots were taken by gas cars. The spots are run by the city and sit in front of a Starbucks on Tryon street in Charlotte, NC.. I went into the Starbucks and asked if anyone in the spots could move but no reply. So I came back outside and I was thinking of calling the parking authorities when this couple arrived to the their car holding Starbucks cups. I told them I was about to call 311 and they started insulting me calling me various curse words. Very hostile. This isn't the first time I have seen these spots taken by gas cars but it was the first time I really needed to charge to the point I would try to do something about it.

tylerdare said:
...Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with Gas cars taking EV charging spots...
Sadly, it's somewhat typical. Many threads here - search term is "ICE'd".

gsleaf said:
Agreed, it's very common. In part because a lot of charging stations are right near the front of the lot.
So true. Nearby, a new medical facility is to open next week. They have installed five Free ChargePoint stations (hurrah) at the ten spaces nearest the entrance (boo). Be interesting to see how that works out.

tylerdare said:
I went into the Starbucks and asked if anyone in the spots could move but no reply. So I came back outside and I was thinking of calling the parking authorities when this couple arrived to the their car holding Starbucks cups. I told them I was about to call 311 and they started insulting me calling me various curse words. Very hostile. This isn't the first time I have seen these spots taken by gas cars but it was the first time I really needed to charge to the point I would try to do something about it.

Next time, don't even show the courtesy you did this time. Call 311 as soon as you pull up and get those hipster doofuses towed!

mwalsh said:
tylerdare said:
I went into the Starbucks and asked if anyone in the spots could move but no reply. So I came back outside and I was thinking of calling the parking authorities when this couple arrived to the their car holding Starbucks cups. I told them I was about to call 311 and they started insulting me calling me various curse words. Very hostile. This isn't the first time I have seen these spots taken by gas cars but it was the first time I really needed to charge to the point I would try to do something about it.

Next time, don't even show the courtesy you did this time. Call 311 as soon as you pull up and get those hipster doofuses towed!

+1!

ebill3 said:
Thanks for the pointer. I thought these were a good start, but I wasn't completely happy with any of them so I made a few changes: ICEd-Notices.pdf

• In the first one I increased the footnote font size and made the origin of the term ICE somewhat more clear.
  • I thought the wording of the second one had too much of an "entitled" tone, so I modified it a bit.
  • For the last one I made the headline slightly less insulting, and changed "charger" to "charging station".

Ray

mwalsh said:

Will the city do that?.. are there signs posted?.. free charging will ruin the availability of charging docks for those that truly need it.

Do a search for ICED if you want to read more threads on this.

planet4ever said:
ebill3 said:
Thanks for the pointer. I thought these were a good start, but I wasn't completely happy with any of them so I made a few changes: ICEd-Notices.pdf

• In the first one I increased the footnote font size and made the origin of the term ICE somewhat more clear.
  • I thought the wording of the second one had too much of an "entitled" tone, so I modified it a bit.
  • For the last one I made the headline slightly less insulting, and changed "charger" to "charging station".

Ray
Nice job, Ray. Yes, the last one was a bit much on the insults.

Would you consider modifying the center one to read something like:
"Yes, I know you (are)(have) an electric vehicle, but using the slot to park while not charging is depriving me of a needed charge"
Or something similar.

I was going to do it, but my Adobe Acrobat version is so old, it will not open your much newer file. Of course, the Reader does.

Bill

Herm said:
mwalsh said:

Will the city do that?.. are there signs posted?.. free charging will ruin the availability of charging docks for those that truly need it.

Do a search for ICED if you want to read more threads on this.

I don't know if they will tow or ticket. I did take pictures and sent them to the City EV program who in turn sent to several others but I don't know what the result was. The stations are Chargepoint. I have learned the term ICED now.

I would even have a flyer that says something to the effect that "your license plate number has been recorded and a dated picture of your illegal parking at this spot with your visible license plate has been taken. It will be emailed to city parking enforcement officials so that action will be taken against you and an illegal parking ticket will be mailed to your home address."

Whether it's actually done or not (picture taken and emailed in) is irrelevant. But it should make them think twice about doing it again next time.

ebill3 said:
Would you consider modifying the center one to read something like:
"Yes, I know you (are)(have) an electric vehicle, but using the slot to park while not charging is depriving me of a needed charge"
Or something similar. I was going to do it, but my Adobe Acrobat version is so old, it will not open your much newer file. Of course, the Reader does.
Good idea, Bill. What I've done is add a fourth cutout to use for this case. Actually, I tried to generalize your suggestion so that it would apply to all plug-in vehicles, not just full EVs. Same reference, just new content: ICEd-Notices.pdf

By the way, I'm too cheap to pay for Adobe Acrobat, so I've never owned it. I use Nitro Pro, which is much less expensive and does most of the same things.

Ray

How about a win-win approach, a positive message . . . EVs allow more and therefore cheaper petrol for them.
You creative and diplomatic wordsmiths can design attractive and effective notes like this . A positive message will do far more to persuade ICE violators.

planet4ever said:
Good idea, Bill. What I've done is add a fourth cutout to use for this case. Actually, I tried to generalize your suggestion so that it would apply to all plug-in vehicles, not just full EVs. Same reference, just new content: ICEd-Notices.pdf
Another good one - the graphic showing the car not connected fits well. Thanks, Ray.

Probably lunacy, but I have to visit a large mall tomorrow, just two weeks before Christmas. Based on previous experiences there, I'm quite certain I can use a few of those signs - for sure the new one. I will need a charge, but I have a plan B or two.

Bill

Back