Future Leaf Range??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apurena1

Has anyone heard any news on future Nissan Leaf range??
Is Nissan looking into the possibility of increasing its current range, if so, when will they make the change? :?:
It would make sense. They have invested close to 5 billion US dollars in moving production from Japan to Smyrna Tennesse...
They are currently pushing charging infrasturcture... they should also push for another 100 miles.
I have a number of clients ready to buy a Leaf from me only if Nissan Corp. can gaurantee atleast 200 miles to the range on a single charge.

Any further information would be helpful!

Priscilla

You will probably be waiting many years before Nissan makes a car with that kind of range. Tesla is breathing down their neck, though, so you never know. By 2020 I would love it if they were even close to that.

You can tell your clients that the car they are looking for will not be coming from Nissan in model year 2014:

http://www.plugincars.com/nissan-leaf-gets-mild-updates-2014-hits-dealers-october-127735.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beyond that, only Nissan knows, and if they're not telling their dealers they're certainly not going to tell the public.

200 miles would be about three times the current range. So, a 72 kwh battery, give or take. That's Tesla sized. Assuming, very optimistically, that it costs Nissan $350/kwh, that's a $25000 pack. Probably not too likely. It would be pretty sweet though!

apurena1 said:
I have a number of clients ready to buy a Leaf from me only if Nissan Corp. can gaurantee atleast 200 miles to the range on a single charge.
Your "clients" need a reality check. The battery technology for that kind of range at the Leaf price point does not exist commercially and will not a long time yet.

If they want that kind of range now, they'll have to buy a Tesla.

If you want to go the long distance, you gotta pay the big bucks. However, Tesla recently patented a hybrid battery that's supposed to utilize cheaper metal-air batteries for extended range. Metal-air, from what I understand, is cheap and energy dense, but they don't like too many charge cycles. So the idea is to only tap into the extended range battery when rarely necessary on long trips, and rely on normal high charge cycle batteries for short range running about and commuting. This will allow Tesla to preserve long range and long battery life without the current high cost. I'll bet we'll see this in the Model E / BlueStar.

It appears to me that the simple economic facts are that nobody can make a car with a 200 mile range for under $50K. That is true now and I expect it to remain true unless there is a major battery breakthrough. Even if that breakthrough happens it will take several years to develop. If you have $50K to spend, stretch a bit and get a Tesla. Otherwise trim your dreams a bit with a dose of reality.

Ray

2015 model year should see improvement in range.
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/small-passenger/nissan/leaf/leaf-range-will-grow-38830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<quote>
Palmer said improving the limited range – currently a huge restraint on EV sales potential -- was achievable because the energy density of lithium-ion batteries was improving at a rapid rate.

“They are developing much faster than I ever believed,” he said. “Four years ago when we started on the LEAF program we imagined a four-year cycle of the battery.

“Two years ago we went to a two-year cycle, now we are modifying the battery every model year.”
</quote>
I'll guestimate a 10% improvement in range for 2015 at the same price point.

apurena1 said:
Has anyone heard any news on future Nissan Leaf range??

No, but I can pretty much guarantee that for my Leaf it will be less than it is now, which is significantly less than when I bought it. :lol:

Thanks for the reply guys/gals!

Nissan is and has been providing small improvements, 3.3kw on board charger to 6.6kw available onboard charger. the range on the 2013 Leaf's increased by about 10 miles.

In New England the L2 chargers are available... The only problem is that you won't find too many of them. Leaf owners have mentioned that they have to litterally "stock/" the local cahrging spot day and night and wait for one to free up.

If Nissan can't provide the proper infrasturcture in New England, how can CT go "green" ?

As a sales consultant: I will be able to overcome my current and future customer's range anxiety if
#1. Nissan increases the range by another 50-100 miles keeping MSRP around or no more than 50K.
# 2. Nissan helps the state with more L2 charging stations.
#3. If we can get some L3 charging stations period. ( The state of CT has only two L3)

Carlos Ghosn said in a statement: "In 2007 I pledged that—by 2010—Nissan would mass market a zero-emission vehicle. Today, the Nissan LEAF is the best-selling electric vehicle in history.
"Now I am committing to be ready to introduce a new ground-breaking technology, Autonomous Drive, by 2020, and we are on track to realize it."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2013/08/27/another-big-promise-by-nissans-carlos-ghosn-affordable-autonomous-cars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan promised a self-driving Nissan Leaf :) They already made it happen/ They are just fine tunning a few things with the original concept. I have faith that Nissan will work on a little more range.

loomis2 said:
You will probably be waiting many years before Nissan makes a car with that kind of range. Tesla is breathing down their neck, though, so you never know. By 2020 I would love it if they were even close to that.

ObjetDart said:
apurena1 said:
the range on the 2013 Leaf's increased by about 10 miles.
No it didn't. At least not according to real world range tests conducted by actual LEAF owners.
Depends on driving scenario.
On the expressway at constant speed, range did not improve.

However, in the city, regen is much improved in the 2013 and could contribute to a 10 mile improved range. They also tried other tricks like reducing torque from the start.

apurena1 said:
Nissan is and has been providing small improvements, 3.3kw on board charger to 6.6kw available onboard charger. the range on the 2013 Leaf's increased by about 10 miles.

Well, you would have to define "range". All new LEAFs, 2011-2014 will drive about 80-ish miles of REAL WORLD range when at 62mph (100km) ground speed on a level, no wind, hard surface roadway with no heater and a new condition battery at 70F/20C or above temperature. There is no range increase.

Here the LEAF official government rated range worldwide:

124 miles = 200km Japan "EPA" rating for 2011-2012
142 miles = 228km Japan "EPA" for 2013

109 miles = 175km UK / Euro 2011-2013

73 miles = EPA-USA 2011-2012
75 miles = EPA-USA 2013-2014, with 66 EPA miles for 80% and 84 EPA miles for 100%

Nissan has been throwing out numbers like a bingo parlor for some time; with the impending release of the 2013, they were suggesting to the press that a 2013 LEAF might go 250km (155 miles). Of course, the press just lap that up, as do EV advocates and EV consumers sometimes!

The reality is that any model year LEAF will drive about 80-ish miles of range autonomy at 100km (62mph) on a dry, level, hard surface road with no wind or climate control, and without cabin climate control. The most important detail is the battery must be in like like new condition at 70F / 20C temperature or higher.

Planning for September 15, 2012 LEAF range test in Phoenix

Phoenix LEAF Range Test, Sept 15, 2012

2013 LEAF-S San Diego Range Test on Feb 22, 2013

2013 LEAF-SL San Diego Range Test on Mar 8, 2013

The 2013 will go further because brake regen is better and heating is more efficient. If testing ignores this then range will be the same. http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2013-nissan-leaf-gets-fuel-econom-range-improvement-says-epa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meh. If the distance you can travel while moving at a constant speed on level ground has not improved, then in my book the range of the car has not increased. The regen and heater efficiency improvements are nice of course but not usually what people mean when they ask if the range has increased, and stating that the range has increased based on that is misleading.

Or maybe I'm just grumpy today.

DanCar said:
The 2013 will go further because brake regen is better and heating is more efficient. If testing ignores this then range will be the same. http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2013-nissan-leaf-gets-fuel-econom-range-improvement-says-epa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turning the heater off or having a more efficient heater (2013 LEAF SV and SL only) merely decreases the range REDUCTION of using a heater. It doesn't increase range.

Regen "better" is cheap PR... I'd love to see you quantify that.

Where in CT are there two L3 stations? The ones in Milford and Darien are for Tesla vehicles only. They use a different plug than the Leaf.

Has your dealership been asked to install a L3 by Nissan, or been offered one by Nissan?

apurena1 said:

As a sales consultant: I will be able to overcome my current and future customer's range anxiety if
#1. Nissan increases the range by another 50-100 miles keeping MSRP around or no more than 50K.
# 2. Nissan helps the state with more L2 charging stations.
#3. If we can get some L3 charging stations period. ( The state of CT has only two L3)

If Nissan made a Leaf at the 50k price point I bet you would have close to your range requirement, but they don't. One Leaf, one size battery. I doubt that will change.

More L2 charge stations in your area are inevitable. Don't worry about that.

L3's are a bit trickier. I live in Cincinnati and I have no idea where the nearest L3 charger is from me, but I would be surprised if it was within 1000 miles from here. I expect to have my Leaf for 10 years and never use that L3 charge port.

loomis2 said:
but I would be surprised if it was within 1000 miles from here.
Actually only a little over 100 miles, according to plugshare.com.

Not that that is very helpful for you unless you want to drive all the way to Indianapolis and back at 35mph.

Back