Fuel Bars and Capacity Bars Revisited

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luft

I know that many of us use Tony's range chart to determine if we can make it to our destination given various factors. His chart appears to be very accurate for a new LEAF. (Good work Tony!)

However, as our battery packs age we will lose capacity bars. So twelve fuel bars won't be what they use to be. I saw a picture of the fuel gauge from a LEAF that had lost four capacity bars (ouch) but was fully charged to twelve fuel bars. This means that each fuel bar does not represent a fixed amount of power but is a percentage of the total power available. What percentage of useable power each bar represents could be set/changed via a Nissan software update. So not all bars need represent the same amount of available power. I beleave I read that the last bar actually represents about double of what any other bar represents.

I'm thinkng that the percentage of total usable power shown for each fuel bar on Tony's chart may hold constant as we lose capacity bars.

Do we have enough data from LEAFs that have lost capacity bars to determine if this is correct?

Luft said:
I know that many of us use Tony's range chart...

However, as our battery packs age we will lose capacity bars. So twelve fuel bars won't be what they use to be....
I'm thinkng that the percentage of total usable power shown for each fuel bar on Tony's chart may hold constant as we lose capacity bars.

I don't think you've looked at the assorted degraded charts here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293#p101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your LEAF is missing any of the capacity bar segments of the 12 total capacity segments, use the appropriate chart:

Here are the links on Dropbox - no downloading hassle:

Use this 100% chart for a factory new battery.

Use this 93% chart for a one year old or more battery that still has all 12 capacity bar segments.

Use this 82% chart for a battery that has 11 of 12 capacity bar segments.

Use this 75% chart for a battery that has 10 of 12 capacity bar segments.

Use this 69% chart for a battery that has 9 of 12 capacity bar segments.

Use this 63% chart for a battery that has 8 of 12 capacity bar segments.

Back