From truck to leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I missing something? For the 2018 SV if I calculate out total lease payments + down payment + residual, I get $32, 402 assuming buyout and the end of a 36 month lease.

Where's the deal?

joeriv said:
Am I missing something? For the 2018 SV if I calculate out total lease payments + down payment + residual, I get $32, 402 assuming buyout and the end of a 36 month lease.

Where's the deal?

That's a real good point. Interesting, so the dealership gets the saving I take it.

Decide if you need the extra range of the 2019. If you don't, you may want to make a better offer on the 2018. (Run Leafspy on it first.) Maybe nothing (or $500 - they like to see some cash) down and the same deal otherwise.

Well after everything I just don't feel my money for a leaf is worth it, they wont budge on the lease and after crunching the numbers joeriv is right you are paying the full retail value in the end. I can't justify spending 40 grand on a leaf when I can buy a Tesla Model S for less than that. The more I read and find out what Nissan is doing hiding things from us the less I want to buy one now. Don't get me wrong the leaf is a nice car but for dollar to dollar a used Tesla with autopilot, free supercharging and charging stations established it is just a way better deal. I have found a Model S 70D AWD with 40k miles for around 35k.

If you’re going to do a purchase I think you have better options than an out-of-warranty Tesla, which can be VERY expensive to fix.

On a purchase you can still get the $7,500 tax credit for a Nissan, Kia or Hyundai EV purchase (assuming you can take advantage of it). I think the Kia Niro deserves a look - I drove the Hyundai Kona and the Niro, from what I have read, is a better option.

You may have additional purchase incentives such as from your state and local utility. At a minimum I would look for at least $10,000 off MSRP.

joeriv said:
If you’re going to do a purchase I think you have better options than an out-of-warranty Tesla, which can be VERY expensive to fix.

On a purchase you can still get the $7,500 tax credit for a Nissan, Kia or Hyundai EV purchase (assuming you can take advantage of it). I think the Kia Niro deserves a look - I drove the Hyundai Kona and the Niro, from what I have read, is a better option.

You may have additional purchase incentives such as from your state and local utility. At a minimum I would look for at least $10,000 off MSRP.

The EV tax credit is crap, if I wanted to buy the leaf I'd cost 37k weather or not I can get the tax credit doesn't effect how much I still pay at the dealership. Maybe I just don't get how it works but I guarantee I won't get the hole or any tax credit.

If you're looking for cheap, try leasing a 40kwh Leaf S. It has available a heated steering wheel and seats, but no heatpump (like the Tesla), no Pro Pilot, but the same range as an SV with no all weather package - maybe a little more. The dealer may pass on the whole tax credit in a lease, in which case you could get it for about $23K total when the lease ends.

Scenario 1: Buy used Tesla $35,000 and you owe $10,000 in Federal Income Tax. At the end of the year, you have paid out $45,000.

Scenario 2: Buy New EV for $35,000 and you owe $10,000 in Federal Income Tax. At the end of the year you paid out $37,500 because you pay only $2,500 Federal Tax, so you’re ahead $7,500.

You can only take the $7,500 credit in one tax year, so if your Federal Taxes are less than $7,500 you lose out the difference between the $7,500 and what you owe. I’ve done this twice.

QvgoiPV.png

Right from Nissan's web site, what am I missing that they quoted me for $2,000 down a payment of $475 for a SV 2018?

joeriv said:
Scenario 1: Buy used Tesla $35,000 and you owe $10,000 in Federal Income Tax. At the end of the year, you have paid out $45,000.

Scenario 2: Buy New EV for $35,000 and you owe $10,000 in Federal Income Tax. At the end of the year you paid out $37,500 because you pay only $2,500 Federal Tax, so you’re ahead $7,500.

You can only take the $7,500 credit in one tax year, so if your Federal Taxes are less than $7,500 you lose out the difference between the $7,500 and what you owe. I’ve done this twice.

That make no sense to me lol where is the 10k coming from?

joeriv said:

The only electric cars allowed to be sold in Michigan is the Nissan leaf. Yay Michigan. I'd love to drive the others but I'd have to leave the state and that's a 300 mile drive just to get out of this crap hole. :( 3 more years I can do it!!

DustanT said:
QvgoiPV.png

Right from Nissan's web site, what am I missing that they quoted me for $2,000 down a payment of $475 for a SV 2018?

Dealers hate national ads - bring them that and say you want one. They will say that they can't get one. Rinse and repeat, with another dealer. BTW, the SL comes with heat pump, heated seats and wheel, and what was once the "Premium Package" standard. The only real option is the Tech Package with Pro Pilot, electric driver's seat, and a couple of other things. The "base" SL is fine. They even give you the dual voltage charging cable with it, even without the Tech Package.

joeriv said:
If you don’t pay Federal Taxes then the EV tax credit is not for you. I assume if you owe money for Federal Taxes it comes from you.

Nissan goes back and forth on this, but at the moment I think they are passing the Federal credit along to lessees again.

DustanT said:
joeriv said:

Do you file your tax return this year? If so, check line 15 on your form 1040 (line 11 if you used the form 1040EZ). That amount there is how much tax you've paid. The smaller of that number or $7500 is how much credit you'll get back for buying an EV.

So if you buy a Leaf this year, then on next year's tax return, as long as the amount on line 15 exceeds $7500, then you can take the full credit. It's a very nice incentive for buying an EV.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DustanT said:
joeriv said:

Do you file your tax return this year? If so, check line 15 on your form 1040 (line 11 if you used the form 1040EZ). That amount there is how much tax you've paid. The smaller of that number or $7500 is how much credit you'll get back for buying an EV.

So if you buy a Leaf this year, then on next year's tax return, as long as the amount on line 15 exceeds $7500, then you can take the full credit. It's a very nice incentive for buying an EV.

Ok I'll check mine tonight, so let's say I pay 7500 in taxes, with the incentive I'd get that back next tax season?

Another way to check and see if you qualify for the $7500 federal tax credit is to use Turbo Tax. Create an account, plug in all your tax information, and when it gets to the "did you buy an electric car this year?" question, answer yes, then put in any old Nissan Leaf VIN number (they require a VIN number, but you can take one from any listing on cars.com). Don't file it obviously if you didn't in fact buy one, but once you put in the VIN number, Turbo Tax will tell you instantly how much you would have gotten back if you had bought an EV last year. I did this as an experiment while completing both my 2017 and 2018 tax returns, just to triple check the exact amount I would have gotten back if I'd bought an EV either of those years.

Back