Free EVSE upgrade Contest!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
I don't know if I'd want to subject everyone to it though, even if it's more effective. They are also bandwidth intensive.
Bandwidth? That's an animated GIF which is much smaller than fooljoe's JPEG (58K VS. 109k). And once it is downloaded the only "bandwidth" is CPU used on your local computer to update the display.

It's actually pretty nice (except for the jitter, which can be fixed), but I still like fooljoe's better.

Ray

I tweaked it, removing the jittery transitions and improving the overall look:

banner_1.gif

It is still an animated GIF file that toggles between "Low-cost charging solutions" and "for HOME or PORTABLE"; either of which I feel is effective alone. The toggle will grab attention without being annoying. This new version is down to 46KB.

Skywagon said:
I tweaked it, removing the jittery transitions and improving the overall look:

banner_1.gif

It is still an animated GIF file that toggles between "Low-cost charging solutions" and "for HOME or PORTABLE"; either of which I feel is effective alone. The toggle will grab attention without being annoying.

I would crop the EVSE tighter, in particular I think you want to show the J1772 more prominently, crop similar to what "fooljoe" did but with the J1772 instead the L6-20P.

arnold

arnolddeleon said:
I would crop the EVSE tighter, in particular I think you want to show the J1772 more prominently, crop similar to what "fooljoe" did but with the J1772 instead the L6-20P.

arnold

Arnold, thanks for that suggestion:

banner_2.gif

Not to nitpick, but - according to Phil's original post - wasn't this contest supposed to be over on Wednesday? It wasn't so easy convincing my wife to stay up with me until 3am Tuesday night to meet the deadline. I'm not trying to say latecomers should be disqualified or anything, but it'd just be nice to have some closure.

What's the verdict, Phil?

fooljoe said:
Not to nitpick, but - according to Phil's original post - wasn't this contest supposed to be over on Wednesday? It wasn't so easy convincing my wife to stay up with me until 3am Tuesday night to meet the deadline. I'm not trying to say latecomers should be disqualified or anything, but it'd just be nice to have some closure.

What's the verdict, Phil?

If you want to nitpick... "Let's give it a week and see how it goes!" does not imply a defined deadline. If one was defined I would have honored that and not posted. I was out on business travel (away from my graphics machine at home) so I was not able to create anything until I started posting.

planet4ever said:
Now you're running real competition, Skywagon! Add a little more color and I may have to change my vote. I do love the electric yellow in the fooljoe image.

Ray

Ray, my idea was to stick to the color scheme of the website. The addition of other colors may make it too obnoxious but I will try something when I get home tonight (wish I had GIF editing capability at work...); a little may make it "pop" without being too over the top.

There is no "Deadline" per-se. The "lets give it a week" intention was if there were still people submitting things by then we could wait to see if there was a clear winner.

I haven't seen anything that is overwhelmingly better than what I created in 10 minutes yet, but I definitely like a few of them.

What do you all think? I suppose if we had a tie, we could put them in rotation and let the customers decide. I can tell if someone clicks the ad and actually buys an upgrade. We run them all in rotation for a few weeks and the one with the most purchases wins!

Or we could just have a simple vote, but I'd like to see more than a handful of opinions.

-Phil

Does the charging indicator light red like that? I thought it was green...

Woohoo! I guess now my wife earned that $200 bathing suit she just bought herself. Haha. I'll send you an email from mikmo90740 at yahoo, just to make sure there aren't any impostors out there.

TEG said:
Does the charging indicator light red like that? I thought it was green...

That's what mine does, although I saw somewhere on here that in an earlier version there might have been a blue LED.

The Ready LED is green, the Charging LED is orange, and the Fault LED is Red.

On several prototypes, I equipped them with Blue Ready LEDs. Those were installed on depotted boards, so it was easy. It would have added significant labor/cost to install them on current production units, so it was abandoned.

-Phil

Back