Former president George H.W. Bush buys a Chevy Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottf200

Former president George H.W. Bush buys a Chevy Volt
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/former-president-george-h-w-bush-buys-chevy-192026852.html

<snip>
And the Volt won its first Republican presidential endorsement from George H.W. Bush, whom according to a Chevy manager in Houston just took delivery of a Volt as a birthday gift for his son Neil Bush. (Another Volt buyer this month: Obama's former auto czar Steve Rattner, who tweeted that he'd bought a silver one and loves it "even though not financially savvy.") Obama has already pledged to buy one once he leaves office, giving GM a bipartisan set of presidential endorsements.

Even with the shift to summer fuels adding another 20 cents a gallon to gas prices, the Volt's sticker will keep it from being a runaway hit -- but that also makes it just unique enough for it to work as a statement vehicle for those who can afford it, no matter what the polarity of their politics might be.

Photo by jurvetson via Flickr. Thanks to Chelsea Sexton

All-electric car pays quick visit to Clear Lake
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/bay_area/news/article_7043110d-c06d-53c9-a269-d404a87fa7e3.html
Chevrolet Zone Manager Steve Flynn told the crowd that plans were under way to put up charging stations all around Houston to accommodate those with plug-in vehicles, adding that he had just finished delivering a new Volt to President Bush 41, who had purchased one as a birthday gift for his son, Neil Bush.

scottf200 said:
And the Volt won its first Republican presidential endorsement from George H.W. Bush, whom according to a Chevy manager in Houston just took delivery of a Volt as a birthday gift for his son Neil Bush.

"Thanks for ruining the surprise Chevy manager in Houston!" - Bush's son Neil.

scottf200 said:
(Another Volt buyer this month: Obama's former auto czar Steve Rattner, who tweeted that he'd bought a silver one and loves it "even though not financially savvy.")

Why do people say that as a qualifier. "I just bought a Ferrari and I love it!.... even though it's not financially savvy."

scottf200 said:
All-electric car pays quick visit to Clear Lake
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/bay_area/news/article_7043110d-c06d-53c9-a269-d404a87fa7e3.html
Chevrolet Zone Manager Steve Flynn told the crowd that plans were under way to put up charging stations all around Houston to accommodate those with plug-in vehicles, adding that he had just finished delivering a new Volt to President Bush 41, who had purchased one as a birthday gift for his son, Neil Bush.
Did I miss the introduction of a new Volt model?

"Bay Area residents got a close-up look at the new all-electric Chevrolet Volt last week when the first one arrived at Norman Frede Chevrolet in Clear Lake."

and

"Smitherman said the Volt can be charged in 30 minutes – a charge that would be sufficient to drive the 175 miles to his home. “With all this technology, I can go all the way to Austin."

ah, the Bushes. More news about them is always welcome.

Another part of the 1% and not shy about showing it.
Must be nice to have so much cash you can buy your grown child a 40k car for his birthday.

thankyouOB said:
ah, the Bushes. More news about them is always welcome.
Another part of the 1% and not shy about showing it.
Must be nice to have so much cash you can buy your grown child a 40k car for his birthday.

I'm not political but ...
the bigger picture/positive here is the turn of the political tide. With this and the pro-Volt Fox news report there is some weird stuff going on behind the scenes.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=185217#p185217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can the Chevy Volt help win the War on Terror?
Mar 26, 2012- 5:19 -Electric vehicle could help ease oil dependency

Hell has froze over video --> http://video.foxnews.com/v/1529856944001/can-the-chevy-volt-help-win-the-war-on-terror/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LakeLeaf said:
and would you post the same if Hillary bought a Leaf for Chelsea's birthday?
UH, YEA.
steven rattner, too. It's a 99% thing.

But speaking of the elder Bushes and Marie Antoinette stylings, can we ever forget this about the Katrina evacuees housed at the Astrodome:

"What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this – this is working very well for them." –Former First Lady Barbara Bush, on the hurricane evacuees at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept. 5, 2005 (Source)

LakeLeaf said:
and would you post the same if Hillary bought a Leaf for Chelsea's birthday?
Not likely ... but ... it 100% has nothing to do with ME being a Dem or Rep. Frankly I'm disappointed in both parties. It has to do with the fact that everyone was trying to make this Obama's pet project. That is the astonishing thing here. For Volt owners of any background it has been mindblowing to see the articles and videos on the Volt related to politics without facts.

scottf200 said:
For Volt owners of any background it has been mindblowing to see the articles and videos on the Volt related to politics without facts.
Maybe the press took their cues from GM Marketing? ;)

scottf200 said:
Not likely ... but ... it 100% has nothing to do with ME being a Dem or Rep. Frankly I'm disappointed in both parties. It has to do with the fact that everyone was trying to make this Obama's pet project. That is the astonishing thing here.
Yeah, it is pretty goofy. Volt development started before Obama was elected. Some people joke that since we have Obamacare, why not Obamacar? ;)

Spot on! This is very interesting. This shift in stance toward the Volt will no doubt benefit the Leaf and EV's in general. I hope that we can mark March of 2012, the month the conservative media caught on to EV's!

scottf200 said:
the bigger picture/positive here is the turn of the political tide. With this and the pro-Volt Fox news report there is some weird stuff going on behind the scenes...

lkkms2 said:
I remember when Bush Jr was President, at one time he made some off comments and basically poohoo d electic cars and such. Nice to see this new direction

The man everyone loves to hate, yet he supported getting the ball rolling on some things, including the EV tax credit we all enjoy. As I recall there was much excitement around cellulosic ethanol, and GWB was derided for talking about switchgrass just BO is about "pond scum" today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_in_Ten" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, what did Bill Clinton do in this area?

LTLFTcomposite said:
lkkms2 said:
I remember when Bush Jr was President, at one time he made some off comments and basically poohoo d electic cars and such. Nice to see this new direction

The man everyone loves to hate, yet he supported getting the ball rolling on some things, including the EV tax credit we all enjoy. As I recall there was much excitement around cellulosic ethanol, and GWB was derided for talking about switchgrass just BO is about "pond scum" today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_in_Ten" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, hope we keep moving in the right direction. We are definately reducing our gas usage for a variety of reasons. One reason is that Ethanol now makes up more than 10 percent of the fuel we burn, a combination of E85 and E10(most gasoline we use now includes 10% ethanol). Just like electricity, most of this is "Made in the U.S.A." and we are not sending our dollars overseas. More U.S. jobs!
If we support the newly developing alternate cellulose ethanol industry, this trend will continue.

I'm not sure about Clinton, but we can thank Reagan for removing the Solar Panels from the roof of the White House (a very symbolic gesture) thus turning back the clock.

LTLFTcomposite said:
lkkms2 said:

BTW, what did Bill Clinton do in this area?

Ethanol is anything but a white knight. It has major political, economic and technical failings. This has been discussed at length here before so I'll not delve in to it again except to repeat that I would be most happy to see both all ethanol subsidies and all ethanol from any food crops disappear over night.

lkkms2 said:
One reason is that Ethanol now makes up more than 10 percent of the fuel we burn, a combination of E85 and E10(most gasoline we use now includes 10% ethanol). Just like electricity, most of this is "Made in the U.S.A." and we are not sending our dollars overseas.

TomT said:
Ethanol is anything but a white knight. It has major political, economic and technical failings. This has been discussed at length here before so I'll not delve in to it again except to repeat that I would be most happy to see both all ethanol subsidies and all ethanol from any food crops disappear over night.

lkkms2 said:
One reason is that Ethanol now makes up more than 10 percent of the fuel we burn, a combination of E85 and E10(most gasoline we use now includes 10% ethanol). Just like electricity, most of this is "Made in the U.S.A." and we are not sending our dollars overseas.

Most people have been hoodwinked by the negative publicity against ethanol, by guess who - the PR firms paid by the oil industries. Just like there is a lot of negative news bits against Electric Vehicles. I believed all of the negative things I had heard about ethanol until I saw the movie call, "Freedom" and investigated more details. This movie was produce by Josh Tickell who is very dedicated to alternatives and drove around the country for years in a biofuel bus promoting biodiesels.

Here is the website for the Josh's Latest Movie: http://thefreedomfilm.com/learn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The website briefly dispells some of myths against ethanol, but the movie really converted my thinking.

Here is the Renewable Fuel Association website that has more details: http://www.ethanolrfa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lets eliminate oils subsidies first and support alternatives.

Back