FM Radio Reception

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetf1

The FM radio in my 2012 MY UK Nissan leaf seems very insensitive. In particular it mostly struggles to pick up much other than the 4 main BBC stations. Local independent radio has very weak/dodgy signal and interference.

It's been like it for a while - tbh I mostly use spotify or other streaming services with 3UK and bluetooth streaming from my phone .... but on occasion it would be good to use.

it sounds like the antenna is likely not connected
Does anyone else find the FM signal strength dubious?
Any connectors/antenna easy to check
I'll book it into the dealer otherwise.

That is not normal; mine works quite well. Perhaps an antenna or cable problem...

planetf1 said:
The FM radio in my 2012 MY UK Nissan leaf seems very insensitive. In particular it mostly struggles to pick up much other than the 4 main BBC stations. Local independent radio has very weak/dodgy signal and interference.

GregH said:
FM Radio? What's that?

Ha Ha.

Of course in the UK DAB is probably more preferable though I don't think the new leafs have that yet?
I'm happy with spotify and other mobile streaming apps + bluetooth - great quality & I have unlimited 3G+ data

But FM as a backup would be good to get fixed

GregH said:
FM Radio? What's that?

Frikkin' Magic!

Lol, maybe I shouldn't admit that I still tune into AM too. :eek:

There's something interesting and worthwhile in listening to a marginal broadcast signal. Gives you a sense of place and the world as the signal waxes and wanes as you go over hills, under bridges, etc.... You have to pay attention so you can fill in some of the blanks. You can hear lightning strikes from approaching storms... I used to be able to diagnose the ignition system of my Miata with AM radio. When the level of ignition-system interference with weak AM stations suddenly went up it was time to replace the spark plug wires. This was amazingly accurate.

Here's to the analog world. ;)

Not that I'm giving up my bluetooth, Pandora or USB...

Back on topic... :oops: ...., the FM reception on my LEAF seems normal.

Also when you remove the antenna the signals should get a lot weaker. If they don't change then there is a problem. If you found it was loose when you tried this then you're lucky...you found the cause and screwed it back in before it fell off!

Back