First to 100+ Miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grommet said:
Nekota said:
The 6.8 was from the center console reading. Carwings gave a 10.0 miles/kwhr so I didn't bother with that one.
Sounds like you still have the original (buggy) telematics software in your LEAF, which had a calculation bug that reported incorrect/low kWh consumption to CARWINGS/Nissan. Your Boot Ware/Application should be at 147+ and, if it isn't, can be updated via last year's TB-11-041.. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to check yourself.

not all of us have access to that update. i took mine in for it last year and was told my VIN was "out of range" i am ok with that.

any time i am feeling depressed i log into Carwings and review my "7.5 miles/Kwh stats. it never fails to brighten my day! ;)

Nekota said:
TonyWilliams said:
Nekota said:
I just turned 15,000 and with a new GID meter I decided to try for 100 and finished at 115.1 miles after VLB warning came on... 6.8 miles/kWh

What was the ambient temp and assumed battery temp?

6.8 * 19.43kWh (260/281 of 21) = 132 miles. Let me guess... The 6.8 came from CarWings??? Since you only drove 115 to VLB, there's no way you'd drive 132 (17 more miles) from VLB.

It's very likely that you could have gotten 8 more miles past VLB, which would have put you at number 5 in the 200km Club.

123 / 19.43kWh (260/281 of 21) = 6.3 miles/kWh

As it stands, I humbly crown you "41".

The ambient temperature started at 58F and ended up at 68F as measured on the car dashboard with most of the change in the first hour. The battery temperature was 5 bars at start of run and increased to 6 bars around 60 miles.

Well, if we consider that the battery was very close to 70F, the numbers don't add up. Another Gid count mystery.

LEAF Batt Temp
Segments Degrees C (F). Temp difference

6-----------23.5-------(74.3)......23.9F
5-----------10.3-------(50.5)......23.9F

What's the big deal about getting 100 miles on a full battery charge? All it proves is you have the patience to drive slow. Tell us you got 100 miles driving on the freeway at 60 MPH and then you're saying something.

bernie82 said:
What's the big deal about getting 100 miles on a full battery charge? All it proves is you have the patience to drive slow. Tell us you got 100 miles driving on the freeway at 60 MPH and then you're saying something.

Not possible.

TonyWilliams said:
bernie82 said:

Not possible.

you are right. unless its the middle of the night, it is not possible to maintain a steady 60 mph for 100 continuous miles around here. last summer, i "tried" to do a trip on the freeway driving at as close to 60 mph as possible (manual control) and failed but did go 90 miles...

DaveinOlyWA said:
TonyWilliams said:
bernie82 said:

Not possible.

you are right. unless its the middle of the night, it is not possible to maintain a steady 60 mph for 100 continuous miles around here. last summer, i "tried" to do a trip on the freeway driving at as close to 60 mph as possible (manual control) and failed but did go 90 miles...

Maybe, with global warming, a 120F day in Denver will get 100 miles at 60mph.

edatoakrun said:
RegGuheert said:
Congratulations, Nekota! 6.8 miles/kWh is pretty impressive!
Nekota said:
I just turned 15,000 and with a new GID meter I decided to try for 100 and finished at 115.1 miles after VLB warning came on.
Nekota said:
The carwings data (I don't have the NTB=041 patch) says I went 112.3 miles but only used 11.2 kwhr with 6.6 kwhr regen.
You're getting the standard 2.5% error in Carwings distance that we all get, but you cannot trust the energy usage in Carwings until you get the patch applied. We just got it a week ago and it resolved that issue.

Nekota:

I just turned 15,000 and with a new GID meter I decided to try for 100 and finished at 115.1 miles after VLB warning came on. The GID meter started with 260 GIDs and I voice logged the miles, GIDS, and the new 55B SOC values while I drove. The starting temp was 58 and ended at 68. The GIDs went from 260 down to 24 with 6.8 miles/kwhr..

I believe that hat works out to ~16.9 kWh, as compared to your 17.8 KWh gid calculation.

I suspect both may be understanding your actual kWh use, however.

The Arizona test did showed significant inaccuracy in both the gid Wh content, and the dash m/kWh displays, of the twelve test LEAFs.

My own range tests on a car a with similar use history as Nekota's show this "impressive" drift upward in my dash, nav screen, and CW m/kWh displays, reflecting the underlying common error in understatement of kWh use, fairly convincingly, IMO:

The results from 8/30/12 were:

97.3 miles to VLB, 98.9 miles in total, by the odometer.

CW: 96.5 (~2.5% under-report) total miles, at 5.7 m/kWh, 16.8 kWh used from 100% to about the same capacity level, slightly past VLBW.

Compare this test with my first test on 9/7/11:

91.5 miles to VLB, 93.4 in total, by the odometer

CW: 91.1 (~2.5% under-report) total miles, at 4.9 m/kWh, 18.7 kWh used from 100% to about the same capacity level, slightly past VLBW.

It seems very likely to me that both are reflecting the same underlying error in my LEAF’s dash, nav screen and CW kWh use reports, as also effected by other variables which I cannot eliminate from my observations.

So, I believe that the recharge time results are compatible with my range tests, which indicate no observed reduction in range, both probably indicating that my LEAF has no observable loss of available battery capacity (though some amount has almost certainly occurred) over the last 12 months....

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So Nekota, unless you have a recharge calculation that supports either the gid or dash energy use calculations, I suggest neither you or anyone else consider them an accurate source for your LEAF's actual battery capacity.

I pulled out the charge measurements for the dedicated meter reading (samples every 6 seconds) for the LEAF EVSE and came up with 21.1 KWhr AC into the LEAF charger to recharge from 24 GID to 265 GID, battery voltage 393Volts and 5 temperature bars.

edatoakrun said:

So Nekota, unless you have a recharge calculation that supports either the gid or dash energy use calculations, I suggest neither you or anyone else consider them an accurate source for your LEAF's actual battery capacity.

I pulled out the charge measurements for the dedicated meter reading (samples every 6 seconds) for the LEAF EVSE and came up with 21.1 KWhr AC into the LEAF charger to recharge from 24 GID to 265 GID, battery voltage 393 Volts and 5 temperature bars. So pick your efficiency number for the LEAF 3.3 KW charger - I used :

0.90 x 21.1 = 18.99
0.85 x 21.1 = 17.93
0.80 x 21.1 = 16.88

If I use the 17.8 value I get a charger efficiency of 17.8/21.1 or 84%. I am reporting the numbers and hope they help with the understanding of the LEAF battery. I am happy to be driving an electric car and it's working well after 15,000 miles. I was worried that if I waited too long, I wouldn't ever get to a 100 mile mark and I often get asked how far have I gone, so now I can say 115 miles on city streets and yes it takes a long time. But when I got to 75 miles and the dropping in range had me wondering if I was going to make 100. Then you get down to the last couple of bars and the the hidden reserve which makes all the difference. Who ever ends up on the advisory board must make a point about the advantage of knowing your GID value to estimate the range.

Nekota said:
I just turned 15,000 and with a new GID meter I decided to try for 100 and finished at 115.1 miles after VLB warning came on.

Informative post but off-topic. This topic is for us to see who can top 100 miles on a charge with the least total miles on the LEAF. There are other hyper-miler topics for those to post all the details about their 100-plus miles charges later in the life of the car. Has anyone else reported beating 100 miles during the first 500 miles of LEAF ownership?

Edit 6:03 am. Yes, it's off topic, but very useful, IMO.

Moved to new thread here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10293&p=234520#p234520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nekota said:
edatoakrun said:

I pulled out the charge measurements for the dedicated meter reading (samples every 6 seconds) for the LEAF EVSE and came up with 21.1 KWhr AC into the LEAF charger to recharge from 24 GID to 265 GID, battery voltage 393 Volts and 5 temperature bars. So pick your efficiency number for the LEAF 3.3 KW charger - I used :

0.90 x 21.1 = 18.99
0.85 x 21.1 = 17.93
0.80 x 21.1 = 16.88

If I use the 17.8 value I get a charger efficiency of 17.8/21.1 or 84%. I am reporting the numbers and hope they help with the understanding of the LEAF battery. I am happy to be driving an electric car and it's working well after 15,000 miles...

I suspect that that that 84% efficiency calculation by gids may be too low, indicating you may have actually recharged with more than 17.8 kWh. Of course, this is not the energy you used during the drive, so battery temperature and other factors might account for some or all of the differential reported by your LEAF (~16.9kWh) as used during the actual drive. See TickTocks record of gid/Wh variability and the apparent seasonal trend, to see why your gid calculation of kWh use may have another source of inaccuracy:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7gtcYL2Oy0dHNwVmRkNkFnaEVOQTVENW5mOTZlb0E&pli=1#gid=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ~16.9kWh calculated for your LEAF on this drive (by nav screen and odometer miles) should be exactly what CW would have reported (if updated). The ~80% recharge efficiency that kWh use implies happens to be very close to what I am seeing, using the less precise method of timing my charges (I don't have a meter).

And of course, I believe the fact that my LEAF has not lost significant range, as well as the unlikely reported decline in charging efficiency over the last 13 months, indicates that the actual problem with my LEAF is the underreporting of kWh use reflected in the dash and nav screen m/kWh and also the CW reports.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, since your LEAF and mine have near-identical histories, yours a few thousand more miles, mine (probably) slightly higher ambient peak temperature exposure, I would expect the loss of battery capacity to be very similar between the two LEAFs, and the percentage of error in kWh use reports might also be expected to be very similar, as it in fact seems to be.

I am very happy with my LEAF overall, and particularly with its present battery capacity, but last week I opened complaint with Nissan regarding the apparent kWh use report error.

Since I live in a region with virtually no public charging infrastructure, I have needed to rely on accurate kWh use reports more than many other LEAF drivers, both to calculate my present capacity, and to relate past driving experiences to my future driving plans. The way I see it, this "gauge error" is a very serious problem for me. And it is certainly a serious problem for anyone else, trying to accurately calculate their own loss of capacity over time.

N1ghtrider said:
Nekota said:

Informative post but off-topic. This topic is for us to see who can top 100 miles on a charge with the least total miles on the LEAF. There are other hyper-miler topics for those to post all the details about their 100-plus miles charges later in the life of the car. Has anyone else reported beating 100 miles during the first 500 miles of LEAF ownership?

Sorry to have hijacked your thread but you should consider updating the subject to reflect the context you desire. I used search for 100 miles on a single charge and this thread came to the top. It was my first attempt and it was 100 miles, did not know about the low mileage restriction nor did I read the opening message which clearly states the objective of this thread. I don't mind if all of my messages were removed to another thread it that can be done.

Back