First 2012 Bar loss? First East Coast Bar Loss?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeHorse

Guys, over the weekend I lost my first capacity bar. I have a 2012 which I've been driving since 2 November 2011, or just under 20 months and about 31,250 miles at the time of loss.

Anyone on the East Coast or with a 2012 also lose a bar yet? Am I the first? As I need 70 mi per day get to work (no charge at work so that's round trip) capacity loss is very dangerous. But I should point out I'm on the new Firmware so it may be the bars were changed to bring the first one closer to 8% instead of the heavy 15%-17% it used to represent. I have a friend in the area with a GID meter I've asked to borrow to check my true SOC and will report back. But anyone else seeing loss on the East Coast or in a 2012 yet?

And yes, I've reported this to Nissan so I'll be taking it to the dealer to have a probe at it.

Lots of Florida residents beat you to the first-bar-lost list. For a 2012 MY car, I believe the first one was reported way back in December 2012.

Weatherman said:
Lots of Florida residents beat you to the first-bar-lost list. For a 2012 MY car, I believe the first one was reported way back in December 2012.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering why the wiki didn't list you guys! Has anyone reported to Nissan? What was the result?

TimeHorse said:
Weatherman said:

Thanks for the update, I was wondering why the wiki didn't list you guys! Has anyone reported to Nissan? What was the result?

I did, and nothing happened. I'd be surprised if they even kept my case open. I expect to lose a second bar by the end of this summer, and lose the 10th and 9th bars by the end of next summer. My lease ends in July 2015, so I'm almost certain I'll be able to try to get Nissan to give me a new battery many, many months before I turn it in.

Weatherman said:
TimeHorse said:
Weatherman said:

I did, and nothing happened. I'd be surprised if they even kept my case open. I expect to lose a second bar by the end of this summer, and lose the 10th and 9th bars by the end of next summer. My lease ends in July 2015, so I'm almost certain I'll be able to try to get Nissan to give me a new battery many, many months before I turn it in.

Good luck and thanks for keeping the community up to date! So how many miles you got at this point? Did you get your LEAF in early November 2011 or late October?

If Nissan were prudent, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the battery (with AT LEAST a refurbished unit at 100% capacity) upon lease buyout in order to keep customers in their cars. I know that A LOT of leasers originally leased with the intention of buying out their leases. Since the buyout is a whopping ~$15K, I just don't see many going this route without a strong battery.

The residual on my lease is over $17,000. I'd be surprised if the trade-in value is $17,000, now, and it, certainly, won't be $17,000 two years from now.

As far as I'm concerned, Nissan will have two options at the end of next summer. They can give me a new battery under their warranty program, or they can release me from the last nine months of my lease. Either of these would be perfectly acceptable to me.

2012 LEAF - First bar lost at 8820 miles 17 months after purchase - Melbourne, FL
Expect that this is normal. Will continue to search this forum for data.
If we (the forum members) standardize the way we report the loss of capacity it would be easier to gather that data for comparison.

TimeHorse said:
But I should point out I'm on the new Firmware so it may be the bars were changed to bring the first one closer to 8% instead of the heavy 15%-17% it used to represent.
batteryproblemmnl

Sorry to hear. Please consider getting an ELM327 bluetooth dongle and a dedicated Android phone or tablet. That could remove some of the guesswork, and facilitate better utilization of the remaining battery capacity. The 8% you mentioned upthread are unfortunately an unlikely eventuality, and not supported by direct observation.

Newporttom said:
Jax, FL. Lost first bar last week (June 2013) at 21200 miles. You say you report these to Nissan. How? And doesn't Nissan consider this normal?

Call the number quoted in the wiki. I believe I will get a complimentary battery report since I'm an official beta tester for eVgo and the Nissan-built CHAdeMO unit; they have been deployed in Japan but these are some of the first deployed in the U.S. The question is, has the CHAdeMO accelerated battery capacity loss, thus my mid-year report should be paid by Nissan but just in my one case.

ennui2001 said:
2012 LEAF - First bar lost at 8820 miles 17 months after purchase - Melbourne, FL
Expect that this is normal. Will continue to search this forum for data.
If we (the forum members) standardize the way we report the loss of capacity it would be easier to gather that data for comparison.

Holy carp! After just 8,820 mi? That's definitely suspect. Did you call Nissan? I'm thinking you more than anyone would be entitled to a battery replacement before 60,000 mi outside of Arizona!

And let me see if I can create a new Google Drive Spreadsheet form; BRB.

We all know that heat is the enemy of the battery, but I'm curious as to how much driving style influences the degradation? Both charging and discharging the battery quickly causes some wear and tear, so it may be possible as others have pointed out that a battery being discharged at 70 mph is discharging nearly twice as much energy as one traveling 50 mph. Our LEAF is 28 months old with 25,000 miles and still shows 12 bars, although I suppose I could lose a bar any day now which wouldn't be out of the ordinary from what I see posted.

TimeHorse said:
Holy carp! After just 8,820 mi? That's definitely suspect. Did you call Nissan? I'm thinking you more than anyone would be entitled to a battery replacement before 60,000 mi outside of Arizona!.

A little on the low side, but not unheard of. I lost my first bar at 8,300 miles. The key is that both cars are moving into their second Florida summer. I expect my LEAF to be down to 10 bars by the end of this summer, and down to 8 by the end of next summer, with, maybe, 15,000 miles on the odometer. I'm going to be very curious as to whether Nissan will release me from the last nine months of my lease, or give me a new battery, at that point.

ERG4ALL said:
We all know that heat is the enemy of the battery, but I'm curious as to how much driving style influences the degradation? Both charging and discharging the battery quickly causes some wear and tear, so it may be possible as others have pointed out that a battery being discharged at 70 mph is discharging nearly twice as much energy as one traveling 50 mph. Our LEAF is 28 months old with 25,000 miles and still shows 12 bars, although I suppose I could lose a bar any day now which wouldn't be out of the ordinary from what I see posted.

I've updated the form to allow for an option of 70+ mi on highway as typical. Me, I'm more of a 55 mph guy because I drive 70 mi a day to and from work and like getting home in the evening.

Not sure how close I am to losing a bar. Leaf DD says I am at 59.23ah, Hx is 88.06, and I am at 20,742 miles as of coming to work today. So figure this summer here in Virginia when the temps get over 100F will probably go down a bar.

mwalsh said:
Newporttom said:
Jax, FL (again). Lost bar #2 today March 25, 2014. 30,100 miles. Looked all over garage for it..... it's gone.

I do like that you can joke about it. :lol:

When there's a high probability you'll qualify for a "free" warranty battery, it's not so bad; if that weren't the case (no capacity warranty), it wouldn't be so pretty...

Back