Filing 2012 Federal Taxes - Form 8936

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cdherman said:
eclecticflower said:
After awaiting a 1099-DIV to arrive a few days ago and adding it to TurboTax, I decided to review my entries tonight, then file. Got to the end and they said I couldn't efile - because of the plug-in credit form. I can, however, print and mail, for a fee. There was no mention of it ever being efilable at a future date. What's the point of mailing it if the IRS isn't even accepting/processing returns like ours until some time in March? I'm annoyed. I want to efile. Grrrrr. :x

My impression from the link to an IRS webpage that my turbotax Premier edition gave me, is that no tax prep software will be able to eFile for the forseable future. If one of the other products out there allowed eFiling, and the person filing the return actually got their refund, I'd love to hear about it....

They should let you e-file as soon as the IRS is ready, which will be in the first week of March. I'd rather wait than have someone have to process my paper return.

The IRS accepted my paper return last week. Now I'm waiting for it to be processed. The website indicates I should receive my refund in the next 21 days.

TurboTax unfortunately has not changed it's software to allow e-file yet for Form 8936. But, if you go to the IRS website, the form is still listed as a future available for e-file in "March 2013" as opposed to the forms that can be e-filed now, listed as "Now." Most likely, the IRS is still not accepting the form yet, but should be any day now, or they will update it to a specific date (as it did with the forms for February). I am guessing until its offically released for process (and e-file), TurboTax will finally allow me to submit electronically.

I googled this frustrating problem I'm also having, along with the inability to efile and according to the TurboTax site, it will be fixed in a couple of days:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Error-Check/Unable-to-Enter--Energy-Efficient-Vehicle--Purchased-after-2010/SLN68993.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unable to Enter "Energy Efficient Vehicle" Purchased after 2010
Updated: 2/26/2013Article ID: SLN68993

When entering a "Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle" placed in service after 2010.
Error check is flagging the date placed in service as being before 2010, even when the vehicle qualifies for the credit if placed in service in 2012.

Solution:
We are aware of this experience and will be resolving this issue in a product update currently scheduled for 3/07/2013.

Please click here to sign up to be informed when the update for this issue is available.
I signed up to be notified of the fix, but in the exit survey stated that TurboTax should have identified this as a known problem to their users. Hopefully, once that's resolved, I can efile, as well.

this is great news, our CPA has been sitting on the return waiting for the EV credit form. we considered filing without the EV credit and then later doing a correction but that would have screwed up the solar credits because we are over our in deductions this year and the solar is splittable but not the EV credit.

Computerizer said:
Pipcecil said:
But, if you go to the IRS website, the form is still listed as a future available for e-file in "March 2013" as opposed to the forms that can be e-filed now, listed as "Now."

As of March 4, the IRS updated their website with news release which says that all forms can now be filed: http://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Now-Accepting-All-2012-Returns

I was doing my taxes this weekend with TurboTax when the EVSE credit worksheet came up. I installed an Aerovironment charger last March, so I thought I might be eligible for some credit that the worksheet might calculate for me. I filled out the worksheet, everything looked good - nothing in the worksheet seemed to indicate that I was ineligible for the credit, but then it came up with a $0 credit allowed for the charger. No reason was given - my taxes are certainly high enough that I could use the credit. Is EVSE installed in 2012 eligible for a credit? I am getting the full $7500 credit for the LEAF purchase in April.
Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on the EVSE credit for 2012.

ranss12 said:
I was doing my taxes this weekend with TurboTax when the EVSE credit worksheet came up. I installed an Aerovironment charger last March, so I thought I might be eligible for some credit that the worksheet might calculate for me. I filled out the worksheet, everything looked good - nothing in the worksheet seemed to indicate that I was ineligible for the credit, but then it came up with a $0 credit allowed for the charger. No reason was given - my taxes are certainly high enough that I could use the credit. Is EVSE installed in 2012 eligible for a credit? I am getting the full $7500 credit for the LEAF purchase in April.
Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on the EVSE credit for 2012.

I can't remember hearing of anyone who got both the EVSE credit and the LEAF credit (in the same year). I'm sure someone can point out an example, but my case I thought I was being clever and got my EVSE installed in 2011 in advance of a 2012 calendar year LEAF purchase. However, my federal credit for solar hot water effectively 'trumped' my EVSE credit. I believe people have found the EV car credit does the same.

you can see this impact by playing with turbo tax. Go in and remove your car from the books and the EVSE credit will be visible. but, in the end, I'd rather have the $7500 credit instead of the couple of hundred dollars (30% of EVSE and installation, IIRC).

essaunders said:
I can't remember hearing of anyone who got both the EVSE credit and the LEAF credit (in the same year). I'm sure someone can point out an example, but my case I thought I was being clever and got my EVSE installed in 2011 in advance of a 2012 calendar year LEAF purchase. However, my federal credit for solar hot water effectively 'trumped' my EVSE credit. I believe people have found the EV car credit does the same.

I'm getting both credits this year. TaxACT didn't have a problem with it. I had barely enough tax for it, though (as mentioned above).

You can get both credits as long as you have enough tax liability to take them against. Use Form 8911 for the EVSE credit. You will also have to submit Form 6251 - Alternative Minimum Tax.

Computerizer said:
essaunders said:
I'm getting both credits this year. TaxACT didn't have a problem with it. I had barely enough tax for it, though (as mentioned above).
We went through this in great detail last year. I haven't found all the threads I remember, but here is one that covers the problem fairly succinctly:
EV Federal Credit and Alt. Fuel Vehicle Refueling Credit
As I recall, it turns out that there is a fairly small window of income where you are eligible for both credits in the same year. Less than that and you don't owe enough tax to get the credit; more and you get caught in an AMT trap, even if you don't have to pay AMT. Oh, and by the way, neither credit can be rolled over. You take them for the year you got the car or installed the EVSE, or you don't take them at all.

Ray

This just in after my complaint to TurboTax (my personal info removed):

Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:20 PM
Subject: TurboTax Support Regarding "Unable to Enter "Energy Efficient Vehicle" Purchased after 2010"

Dear Kathy,
You are receiving this e-mail in response to signing up on a TurboTax support article regarding "Unable to Enter "Energy Efficient Vehicle" Purchased after 2010."

We are happy to inform you a recent TurboTax update has been released resolving this issue.
If you need assistance updating TurboTax, please refer to the following support article:

How to Update TurboTax
http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Update-Product/How-to-Update-TurboTax/GEN12280.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After updating the product, the vehicle will need to be deleted and re-entered to remove error.

Please use these steps to delete previously entered vehicle(s).
• Select the “Federal Taxes” tab
• Select “Deductions & Credits” tab underneath the Federal Taxes tab
• Select “Explore On My Own” link
• Scroll down to “Cars and Other Things You Own” area of interview
• Select “Update” for Energy-Efficient Vehicles
• On “Energy-Efficient Vehicle Summary” screen
• Select “Delete” for vehicle(s) previously entered
• Re-enter the vehicle
• The error will now be cleared

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience in this matter.

Sincerely,
TurboTax® Support

I filed my turbotax with the 8936 for my volt yesterday via the web software (i.e. I did not buy the physical software). There is no update to apply, BUT the deleting and re-entering the vehicle is required for the bug to be fixed. Just go in, delete the entire vehicle entry (the WHOLE THING) and then re-add it. No problems after that. The IRS accepted by return within an hour of submitting, yea!

ericvoll said:
IRS has processed and accepted my return. It says I should have my refund on Monday. Woot! Woot!
Contratulations, Eric! Don't spend it all in one place. :cool: I've still got to efile mine (tomorrow). Wish I were getting the full $7500 (getting $5,675). If you can't figure out anything to to with your windfall, call me! :D

Yesterday the IRS still said mine had been accepted but not yet processed. Today it says it's "still being processed." Mine is quite complicated, though, so I'm not surprised (Schedules C, D, E, and F, plus the two credit forms). Fingers and toes crossed!

ericvoll said:
IRS has processed and accepted my return. It says I should have my refund on Monday. Woot! Woot!
Refund was deposited today. It took the IRS about 30 days after I mailed the paper return. I sent in the automobile substantiation documentation with the return to head off any eligibility question for the LEAF credit.

Back