feeling like giving up on electric

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axel

Getting to work and finding a charging station has become a nightmare. The charging station infrastructure really lags behind the massively growing number of electric vehicles in circulation. Add to that the fact that our Leaf battery capacity is in serious decline. Makes me want to give up, not worth the hassle. Is electric just not ready for prime time? Our lease is up in a year so what reasons are there to get another electric car? Please help me regain motivation to go through this hassle.

If you have a long commute and charging at work is a hassle, then maybe you shouldn't re-lease with current tech. Perhaps a volt would be better. Is there an option to persuade people at work for more charging stations? Go to work early?

It may be easier to lobby for L-1 outlets or even L-1 charging stations at work if 240 volts isn't already available in the parking area. L-1 is nearly worthless for short charges, but if you can charge at L-1 for 5-8 hours a day it becomes useful.

I agree that Nissan battery tech is a disappointment. There are other, better batteries out there, but they tend to be found in much more expensive vehicles. If Nissan doesn't step up with more range and better longevity next year, the Volt and even Prius PHEV (when used properly) look more appealing. Personally, I have no desire to have an ICE running in my vehicle ever again, but we can't always get what we want...

You've got to help us a bit. How long (round trip) is your commute? What kind of charging, if any, do you have at home? Does your LEAF have QC? Is there QC available to you? What about the budget for your next vehicle...could/would you pay more for a more capable car? The choices are going to be:

• 1. Give up
    2. Get a car with a bigger/better battery
    3. Get a car with a gasoline backup
    4. Get better charging options
    5. Some combination of these

Once we know more about you, we'll be better able to discuss the options.

I don't know what direction you go from there but is there a Nissan Dealer anywhere close... mine here in Concord got a dcQC recently and maybe the local dealer or someone in Watsonville or Scotts Valley could get one.

I noticed when considering a trip down there in my LEAF that you folks have a few local 240s and no 480 quickies. My son loves the arcade at the Beach/Boardwalk. Would be an adventure from my home in Martinez. I routinely go to San Jose.

I hear you... best of luck deciding... maybe you could work with some of the city folks to see if, like the City of Santa Clara, you could get some level 3's added to local libraries.

Keep in mind that the 2013 offers the 6.6kWh charger... mine rarely takes more than a few hours... so if you love the LEAF give a newer one a go.

Maybe the local tourism folks would consider adding a few more to the area to entice folks like me down.

Cheers

It is ironic that electricity distribution is all around us, and opportunity charging can be hard to come by... This all will change very rapidly at some point, is my guess. Work charging especially.... Big capacity batteries in quasi urban areas will be less important than a reasonable place to bump up the stored energy for an hour or so...

I don't have meaningful words of encouragement. But you could rent an ICE for a $50 weekend rate and may or may not feel differently...

Axel said:
Please help me regain motivation to go through this hassle.

1. Read your original posts from 2012. You loved the car.

2. Give us details. Details help us help you.

With an EV, you have to re-think how you drive.

If you loved it once, you can love it again.

Axel said:
Getting to work and finding a charging station has become a nightmare. The charging station infrastructure really lags behind the massively growing number of electric vehicles in circulation. Add to that the fact that our Leaf battery capacity is in serious decline. Makes me want to give up, not worth the hassle. Is electric just not ready for prime time? Our lease is up in a year so what reasons are there to get another electric car? Please help me regain motivation to go through this hassle.

Honestly if it's a hassle then don't do it, go for an Eco ICE with good mileage. It's either a fun car you want, or a useful car to drive. If it's neither then whats the point?

my cmax energI is really great.Averaging about 75 mpg on the past few gas tanks.I mainly use it for longer trips then leaf can handle.Plus when it is cold the heater is awesome.When I do shorter runs the energI averages 100+mpg per tank.Best of both worlds.Ford is really giving great deals on the car also.

Solution: RAV4 EV. My sister bought one, gets 90+ mile real world range on standard charge, can get over 100 real range with extended charge. They love it.

A Volt makes sense, I'd say. I'm also interested in the BMW i3, which you can get with a very small range extender, just for when you need it.

I am headed to the same feeling like giving up if I do not fall within the warranty and get the new desert battery.
I might just go back to the F150 guzzler. :(

There's a reason gas cars outsell electrics 500 to 1. It isn't all because the masses are unaware or uninformed. You have to have some passion for the idea that the automobile can advance technologically and not be single sourced on oil, and be willing to make some personally suboptimal choices to be part of helping make it happen.

I'm in the same boat, except I never really liked the car. I did like the fact I didn't have to burn gas for my longish commute and the cost of charging it was low. That was enough and I could live with the car if it delivered on the 80% remaining battery capacity after 5 years claim. But no, no such luck. I think I'm going to push it another year before dumping it, seems there should be more interesting options in 2015, I'll make my final decision on electrics then.

If the car is no longer the right tool for the right job, then I can certainly understand. It doesn't have to be about giving up on Electric, there are other options out there, though pricey for a while still. For you it might be about waiting till the right price point/capacity is reached, then jump back in. I went in the other direction this year. I sold our gas car and added a Tesla Model S to the mix. Ironically we have enjoyed the Leaf so much more now that we are not trying to squeeze every mile out of it. I used to hyper mile the Leaf, feeling smug about getting up to 4.7 MPkW. I mastered efficient driving with it, predicting range down to the mile, it was fun for a while, then it just became too much about the car and it being electric than being a tool to get a job done. I think many of us were expecting too much from the car, trying to make it an everything car and then blaming Nissan when it fell short. Now that I have an adequately sized primary EV, I don't pay much attention to the Leaf's range. I get in and drive, doing in city stuff and love it. I used to drive with the heater turned off and the windows fogging. now I just leave defrost on as much as I want, have the temp set to 68 and drive like I stole it, getting a whopping 3.3 MPkW. I think Nissan was correct with the notion that the Leaf is really designed for someone with a 30-40 mile commute max. If the leaf is properly matched for the task, you just don't have to worry so much about the heater, the outside temperature, the range or the long term battery life. When the lease is over in 2015, I don't know what I will do, I will likely turn around and get another Leaf if the specs are good (I'd really like to see a 200 mile range). For sure, until Nissan can prove what it claimed originally, that the battery will hold up long term, even in extreme heat, I will stick to leasing or buy another brand that has battery temperature management (a must in every EV, IMHO!) The Tesla model E will be a serious contender for sure, especially considering the explosion of 120 kWh super charging stations Tesla is installing nation wide http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger.

Axel said:
Getting to work and finding a charging station has become a nightmare. The charging station infrastructure really lags behind the massively growing number of electric vehicles in circulation. Add to that the fact that our Leaf battery capacity is in serious decline.
How do you know your "battery capacity is in serious decline"? How many capacity bars have you lost, if any? How many gids at a 100% charge?

For me, it's not prob as my commute's only ~12 miles each way and I get free L2 juice @ work. :D And, people @ my work are pretty good about plug sharing and etiquette.

epirali said:
Honestly if it's a hassle then don't do it, go for an Eco ICE with good mileage. It's either a fun car you want, or a useful car to drive. If it's neither then whats the point?

Totally agree. I said I would never go back to gas. But then I caught myself looking at a few Subaru's the other day.

There's nothing wrong with ICE cars. They are amazing marvels of engineering and they haven't outlived their usefulness or practicality. It might not be a bad idea to go ICE for your next car and see what the market has to offer in 5-10 years. Or compromise and get yourself a Volt or Energi or... (swallows)... Plugin Prius (pukes in mouth a little).

Or compromise and get yourself a Volt or Energi or... (swallows)... Plugin Prius (pukes in mouth a little).

You think an "Energi" is better than a PIP? Yeah, right. You argue that ICEs aren't so bad, then apparently choose the Ford strictly because it has more EV range, even though it's showing serious quality control problems and the Prius can get 81MPG with few or no problems...

LeftieBiker said:
Or compromise and get yourself a Volt or Energi or... (swallows)... Plugin Prius (pukes in mouth a little).

You think an "Energi" is better than a PIP? Yeah, right. You argue that ICEs aren't so bad, then apparently choose the Ford strictly because it has more EV range, even though it's showing serious quality control problems and the Prius can get 81MPG with few or no problems...
5k plus miles so far on energI. Zero defects,so far.High quality feeling car.Me like.
On the EnergI forum there is little compaints of all this quality concerns of consumer digest.Mostly very happy owners,with use questions & praise for the awesomeness of the car/quality.

Back