Fast Low Cost Charging - All EVSE Questions Answered!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QueenBee said:
But if frame, grounding conductor, and neutral are all bonded then you'll trip the circuit breaker if hot and grounding short just like if hot and neutral short, right? Where as if the frame and grounding conductor are not bonded to neutral it is very likely that the circuit wouldn't trip.
Correct, but a hot to ground fault without the "bond" simply creates an ad-hoc bond, with no other consequences and inherent danger, so it otherwise wouldn't be noticed. If there is any current flow through ground past the EVSE, the unit will "fault" though, ground rod or not.

-Phil

IIRC, Ingineer had a great post that IIRC talked about 240 volt mobile devices being prohibited (?) per NEC and about how the US is afraid of electricity. Does anyone have a link to it? It is related to this upgrade...

Search here still doesn't work well and my Google and Bing searching with limit to site:mynissanleaf.com ingineer [+ keywords] hasn't been able to find it...

I wonder if anybody knows whether we can get a tax credit for money spent on doing the EVSE upgrade via Phil's evseupgrade.com?

Volusiano said:
I wonder if anybody knows whether we can get a tax credit for money spent on doing the EVSE upgrade via Phil's evseupgrade.com?
Personally, wouldn't hesitate to try it, especially if it really was my primary EVSE. The worst that could happen is that it would be disallowed.

Volusiano said:
I don't know, but I plan to try. I purchased a second upgraded Nissan/Panasonic EVSE as my primary charging station.

Bill

ebill3 said:
Volusiano said:
I don't know, but I plan to try. I purchased a second upgraded Nissan/Panasonic EVSE as my primary charging station.

Bill
If I had made a purchase like you, I wouldn't hesitate. But mine is an upgrade, so I'm not sure...

davewill said:
Volusiano said:
Personally, wouldn't hesitate to try it, especially if it really was my primary EVSE. The worst that could happen is that it would be disallowed.
The thing is, it's not my primary and I did qualify for a free Blink station.

Also, I'm not sure what disallowing mean? How do they know to disallow it or not unless you get audited after the submission? Basically that means they send you a revised letter much later on saying you're not allowed, and ask you to refund the difference plus interest?

Volusiano said:
... Also, I'm not sure what disallowing mean? How do they know to disallow it or not unless you get audited after the submission? Basically that means they send you a revised letter much later on saying you're not allowed, and ask you to refund the difference plus interest?
Essentially, although they wouldn't have to do an actual audit. They could simply ask for documentation or explanation of the EVSE credit, then disallow it based on your response...and yes, they would then ask you to pay with interest. The only reason I can think of that would cause them to question it would be that the fairly low amount the upgrade costs might stick out against other returns, but I don't really think so. In the end, you have to read the regs, or maybe consult a professional, and then make up your own mind about whether it qualifies.

Volusiano said:
Well, the wording in the law is that the credit is for "refueling property", not "refueling equipment". I'm no lawyer, but I think the distinction is that "property" is land and things attached to the land, directly or indirectly.

I bought an upgraded EVSE from Phil, and kept the one that came with the car as a 120v emergency charging cord. The upgraded EVSE is my one and only source of 240v charging at home, and in fact I have attached it to the wall with two deck screws. Yes, I plan to apply for the credit on it as well as the subpanel, breakers, L6-20 outlet and its box, and wiring I did to support the EVSE. It is true that I could theoretically remove those two screws, unplug the EVSE, and take it somewhere else to be used, but I haven't done that once in the seven months I have had the car, and I have no plans to do it in the near future.

Ray

How do we apply for the Federal Tax credit? I purchased the SPX PowerExpress before they raised their price, plus shipping & Taxes. Then had the electrician wire in a 40 amp outlet and mounted everything on the wall. No Leaf yet, so I haven't tested anything. But the car is expected by middle of Dec.

planet4ever said:
I bought an upgraded EVSE from Phil, and kept the one that came with the car as a 120v emergency charging cord. The upgraded EVSE is my one and only source of 240v charging at home, and in fact I have attached it to the wall with two deck screws. Yes, I plan to apply for the credit on it as well as the subpanel, breakers, L6-20 outlet and its box, and wiring I did to support the EVSE. It is true that I could theoretically remove those two screws, unplug the EVSE, and take it somewhere else to be used, but I haven't done that once in the seven months I have had the car, and I have no plans to do it in the near future.
That pretty well describes my situation. The purchased Panasonic/Nissan EVSE is my installed "refueling property". I guess one could quibble over the word 'installed', but most of the other electrician stalled EVSEs can be just as easily uninstalled.

I will claim the credit. I just hope Turbo Tax, or H&R Block, or whomeer includes it in their software.

I did have the original EVSE upgraded as well, but I think it is a streach to claim the ugrade and will not.

Bll

ebill3 said:
planet4ever said:
That pretty well describes my situation. The purchased Panasonic/Nissan EVSE is my installed "refueling property". I guess one could quibble over the word 'installed', but most of the other electrician stalled EVSEs can be just as easily uninstalled.

I will claim the credit. I just hope Turbo Tax, or H&R Block, or whomeer includes it in their software.

I did have the original EVSE upgraded as well, but I think it is a streach to claim the ugrade and will not.

Bll

If you dare making a claim for m=one unit there is no reason one could not claim any expense as long as it was actually used. "installed" is subjective and the reason is that they don't want equipment purchased and sitting in a box, the point is that t's used.

N952JL said:
How do we apply for the Federal Tax credit? I purchased the SPX PowerExpress before they raised their price, plus shipping & Taxes. Then had the electrician wire in a 40 amp outlet and mounted everything on the wall. No Leaf yet, so I haven't tested anything. But the car is expected by middle of Dec.
Check out IRS Form 8911.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bill

EVDRIVER said:
If you dare making a claim for m=one unit there is no reason one could not claim any expense as long as it was actually used.
Hmmmm - "If you dare making a claim............." - that sounds rather ominous. :eek:

Bill

N952JL said:

You provide all your documentation to your tax preparer.

EVDRIVER said:
ebill3 said:
planet4ever said:

Bll

If you dare making a claim for m=one unit there is no reason one could not claim any expense as long as it was actually used. "installed" is subjective and the reason is that they don't want equipment purchased and sitting in a box, the point is that t's used.

I think the real question is does the law and the IRS want portable EVSEs to be counted. If the answer is no then the EVSE Upgrade in my trunk doesn't count. But in the case of planet4ever that's pretty cleared installed AFAIC. Every EVSE would be "easy" to uninstall but the fact that it's actually mounted/etc. certainly means installed to me.

I honestly don't know if the IRS intended to exclude portable EVSEs when they used the word installed but I installed mine my car's trunk :) From my point of view when you start getting into the details of the tax law it's best to try and follow the intention of the rules and the laws and when things are unclear/grey go in your favor. The IRS wants to give us a tax break for EV and EV charging equipment. If it turns out they aren't and you get audited or they want additional documentation you do your best, show them your point of view, and if they disagree you pay the tax you should have paid and some interest and maybe a negotiable penalty. As long as you are making an effort to follow the rules and the forms and aren't lying and being fraudulent with the IRS there isn't anything to be scared of, when it comes down to it they are very fair. If they find that there is a compliance issue what they'll do is just update the forms and be more clear for next time :)

That's just my two cents. I haven't decided yet if I'll be deducting my EVSE Upgrade since I a free one from EV Project but we'll see...

I hope this post is appropriate for this thread. I did search for EV-Charge America but did not find a thread. My thinking is this thread is for those considering the purchase of EVSE.

A post came through on the evdl of a member's first hand experience thus their post warning to not even consider throwing money at nor wasting time on EV-Charge America.
Please read their post
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EV-Charge-America-td4155699.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On other Production EV/pih forums, I had read of this company's shady behavior, but now this makes it firm in my mind that this company is not to be trusted.

For those that are searching/learning of low cost EVSE, I have put together a post they may want to check out
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Low-Cost-EVSE-td3835375.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you know of Low Cost EVSE that is under $1000, and hopefully 6kW+ capable, please let me know so I can research it and if appropriate, add it to the post.

{brucedp.150m.com}

You are quite right, Bruce. See the following long thread on this board: 240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

The topic of the current thread is Ingineer's upgrade to the 120v unit that Nissan provides with the LEAF. Measured by customer satisfaction, service, quality, reliability, and value, his operation and product are the polar opposite of Charge America.

Ray

Back