Failed PTC Heater and 1980km from Nearest Nissan Leaf Dealership

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgbutler

Hi All,

This is my first post but I have been following this forum for the past few years. First of all let me begin be saying I am passionate about kick starting an electric car movement here in Whitehorse, Yukon. The Yukon government is looking into the possibility of converting a portion of their fleet to electric and I was hoping that by demonstrating that electric cars are viable here in the great White North it might see it happen sooner rather than later. Here in the Yukon 99.6 % of our power requirement are supplied by Hydro Electric making the operation of electric vehicles here in Whitehorse truly green. My trip is typically 130 km round trip on the highway as I live about 55km from Whitehorse. My 2012 SL could not make the trip without a few hours of trickle charge in town at my friend's home but the newer 2013SL that arrived last week can with about 90% charge without charging in town.
The 2013 Leaf arrived from Victoria BC after Nissan Campus did a certified inspection but when it arrived at the dealership here I immediately became aware of a problem after running Leaf Spy Pro:

The codes seem to relate directly to the function of the PTC heater. The B27BF DTC code I have not been able to find but the other two would seem to indicate a failed/failing PTC heat. I have played around with the heater controls and have observed in Leaf Spy Pro that the resistive heat will start to work beginning at 250 watts and winding up to about 2000watts along with the Heat pump showing anywhere from nothing to 1000watts. This is when set to 33C and in manual mode. They sometimes seem to be working together and at other times only one or the other is drawing power. The resistive heater always seems to start at a low draw and then scales up only to fall off to nothing for a minute or two and then begin the process all over. I don't know if this in normal behaviour but thought I would ask. I have not cleared the codes to see if they will return as I am presently waiting to hear back from Sherwood Nissan in Edmonton, Alberta. Could there be anything else I could check that might have triggered these DTC codes. I know I have seen several DTC codes in my 2012 when the battery has run down. Are there any loose connections or anything else that could cause this?

In the event that I have to deliver the car to a dealership in Albert or BC I believe Nissan will do little to help financially but I am hoping. Still waiting to here back from Nissan Canada. I am considering taking the car South with a car dolly towing it with my Pathfinder. Would rather avoid this but the cold weather comes on quickly here and not having a heater when it hits -44C in February is not an option. I love this car and have dreamed for many years of owning own and in some way helping the environment. I am hopeful the car will prove reliable in the long term and that in the next year or two there will me more electric cars and even charging stations in Whitehorse. I sold my 2012 SL to my friend a few weeks ago and there is one 2013 Leaf operating in Dawson, YT who brought theirs up from Victoria, BC and by all accounts they love the car and it has already made it through two winters in an unheated garage ( Dawson gets considerably colder weather than Whitehorse). My friend is going to be posting information rated to range /reliability on the 2012 SL I sold him on his website http://www.whitehorselife.com. We are planning on documenting a trip at the end of this summer, doing a loop from Whitehorse, Yukon, Skagway, Alaska, Haines, Alaska and then back to Whitehorse. It will involve my 2013, his 2012 and another friends 2014 Zero S motorcycle. We plan to film it using a drone and documenting every aspect of the trip to show that touring in the Yukon and parts of Alaska in the summer is possible in an electric vehicle. We are also thinking of bringing up several cars for a little photography tour business with a another friend who is a well known photographer.

All exciting stuff and if anyone has any insight into the heater problems, electric car movement here in the Yukon or anything else please feel free to comment. I am glad to officially be past of this forum and a new leaf owner!

Pierce

I thought I might have some input by the end of the day. I guess there is no love for those North of the American border. lol! :( On a serious note is there no one that can add to pattern I'm seeing with respect to the normal or non-normal draw from the PTC and heat pump when set at maximum heat. I am tempted to clear the codes but am hesitant that they may not come back immediately and if they don't during the next few weeks my window of opportunity to bring the car South will be gone. I am back to work on August 25th.

That first DTC is from the compressor HV circuit detecting an open circuit and is similar to the PTC DTC's. Details are on page 117 of the HAC PDF.

You may have a connection issue with the HVDC circuit that includes both the compressor and the PTC heater. I have a 2012 so no heat pump but above a certain temp, the PTC shouldn't turn on and the compressor should be providing the heat. It may be that for a brief moment they use the PTC to heat the air until the AC system reverses and comes up to speed.

Thanks for the info. If there is someone who has a 2013 and newer who can observe the usual behaviour of the load/draw exhibited by the PTU/Heat pump to see if it matches what I have observed it would be greatly appreciated. If in fact these errors are related to the high voltage wiring harness ( as Sherwood Edmonton has indicated despite not having a certified tech apparently) in addition to what the service manual seems to point to this as a possible cause has anyone else had this part replaced and if so what did it involve? Thanks.

pgbutler said:
Hi All,

This is my first post but I have been following this forum for the past few years. First of all let me begin be saying I am passionate about kick starting an electric car movement here in Whitehorse, Yukon. The Yukon government is looking into the possibility of converting a portion of their fleet to electric and I was hoping that by demonstrating that electric cars are viable here in the great White North it might see it happen sooner rather than later. Here in the Yukon 99.6 % of our power requirement are supplied by Hydro Electric making the operation of electric vehicles here in Whitehorse truly green. My trip is typically 130 km round trip on the highway as I live about 55km from Whitehorse. My 2012 SL could not make the trip without a few hours of trickle charge in town at my friend's home but the newer 2013SL that arrived last week can with about 90% charge without charging in town.
The 2013 Leaf arrived from Victoria BC after Nissan Campus did a certified inspection but when it arrived at the dealership here I immediately became aware of a problem after running Leaf Spy Pro:

The codes seem to relate directly to the function of the PTC heater. The B27BF DTC code I have not been able to find but the other two would seem to indicate a failed/failing PTC heat. I have played around with the heater controls and have observed in Leaf Spy Pro that the resistive heat will start to work beginning at 250 watts and winding up to about 2000watts along with the Heat pump showing anywhere from nothing to 1000watts. This is when set to 33C and in manual mode. They sometimes seem to be working together and at other times only one or the other is drawing power. The resistive heater always seems to start at a low draw and then scales up only to fall off to nothing for a minute or two and then begin the process all over. I don't know if this in normal behaviour but thought I would ask. I have not cleared the codes to see if they will return as I am presently waiting to hear back from Sherwood Nissan in Edmonton, Alberta. Could there be anything else I could check that might have triggered these DTC codes. I know I have seen several DTC codes in my 2012 when the battery has run down. Are there any loose connections or anything else that could cause this?

In the event that I have to deliver the car to a dealership in Albert or BC I believe Nissan will do little to help financially but I am hoping. Still waiting to here back from Nissan Canada. I am considering taking the car South with a car dolly towing it with my Pathfinder. Would rather avoid this but the cold weather comes on quickly here and not having a heater when it hits -44C in February is not an option. I love this car and have dreamed for many years of owning own and in some way helping the environment. I am hopeful the car will prove reliable in the long term and that in the next year or two there will me more electric cars and even charging stations in Whitehorse. I sold my 2012 SL to my friend a few weeks ago and there is one 2013 Leaf operating in Dawson, YT who brought theirs up from Victoria, BC and by all accounts they love the car and it has already made it through two winters in an unheated garage ( Dawson gets considerably colder weather than Whitehorse). My friend is going to be posting information rated to range /reliability on the 2012 SL I sold him on his website http://www.whitehorselife.com. We are planning on documenting a trip at the end of this summer, doing a loop from Whitehorse, Yukon, Skagway, Alaska, Haines, Alaska and then back to Whitehorse. It will involve my 2013, his 2012 and another friends 2014 Zero S motorcycle. We plan to film it using a drone and documenting every aspect of the trip to show that touring in the Yukon and parts of Alaska in the summer is possible in an electric vehicle. We are also thinking of bringing up several cars for a little photography tour business with a another friend who is a well known photographer.

All exciting stuff and if anyone has any insight into the heater problems, electric car movement here in the Yukon or anything else please feel free to comment. I am glad to officially be past of this forum and a new leaf owner!

Pierce

I found the B27BF dtc info on pge 137 of the manual ( open circuit in the electric compressor system) Do you have a manual ( Nissan Publcations)? Under normal operation ( at least in my 13 SL) , with outside ambient about 5C the ptc heater starts for about 10 minutes auto set at 21C the heat pump runs and basically takes over reducing the consumption to about 1200w (or less) from about 3000w. Definitely sounds like the ptc heater is not cutting out when selected temp. is satisfied however I would try to select a lower temp to check the cycle. Perhaps if you enlightened the Dealership that a Sourtoe cocktail and roasted Moose would be available upon successful diagnosis/ repair a Tech might be flown up? :D

Well I'm sitting in a hotel in Edmonton with the car sitting at Go Nissan Since last Friday. This is really beginning to become an expensive correction in what should have been identified and corrected before it ever was shipped up from left Victoria, BC. The guys at Go Nissan South were great and even gave me a loaner ( with 10km on it) for the past 5 days. Checked today after Ricky ( there only Leaf tech) started taking the dash apart yesterday. It was still in a fair state of disassembly but hopefully will be back together before the end of the day. He said the new PTC heater looked a little different and showed me the old part. He said he couldn't see anything visibly wrong with it but hopefully this was the problem. The high voltage wire harness was also came with the new unit so hopefully if this was the cause it will also cover the root cause of the problem.
Ricky is a young tech and is full of enthusiasm. I mentioned the idea of flying up to Whitehorse all expenses paid and whatever time it takes to correct any future problems. He seemed really receptive to the idea. I just wish this hadn't happened as it has been both expensive and a little stressful as it was a hellish drive down the Alaskan highway with lots of construction and the equivalent of Jurassic Park!

Would trade the car in on something else but after paying 23k Canadian plus $1700 shipping and another $1300 tax only to be offered 16k in trade in I would be out just too much money. Life sucks sometimes!

pgbutler said:
Well I'm sitting in a hotel in Edmonton with the car sitting at Go Nissan Since last Friday. This is really beginning to become an expensive correction in what should have been identified and corrected before it ever was shipped up from left Victoria, BC. The guys at Go Nissan South were great and even gave me a loaner ( with 10km on it) for the past 5 days. Checked today after Ricky ( there only Leaf tech) started taking the dash apart yesterday. It was still in a fair state of disassembly but hopefully will be back together before the end of the day. He said the new PTC heater looked a little different and showed me the old part. He said he couldn't see anything visibly wrong with it but hopefully this was the problem. The high voltage wire harness was also came with the new unit so hopefully if this was the cause it will also cover the root cause of the problem.
Ricky is a young tech and is full of enthusiasm. I mentioned the idea of flying up to Whitehorse all expenses paid and whatever time it takes to correct any future problems. He seemed really receptive to the idea. I just wish this hadn't happened as it has been both expensive and a little stressful as it was a hellish drive down the Alaskan highway with lots of construction and the equivalent of Jurassic Park!

Would trade the car in on something else but after paying 23k Canadian plus $1700 shipping and another $1300 tax only to be offered 16k in trade in I would be out just too much money. Life sucks sometimes!
I would to make sure that the heat pump itself is not the problem( dtc code) in conjunction with the defective resistance element being inoperative , perhaps the resistance heater had tried to satisfy the hvac system aggressively when the heat pump couldn't keep up. Just one inquiry; are you prepared to fly the teck up when its time for the " annual 999 battery test " Good luck and let us know the results when the temp. plummets.

It might be cheaper to try to build a small auxiliary pack to heat the car in case of an emergency than fly tech's up. This would also give the added benefit of extending the range too as you wouldn't be drawing from the original. 1.5kWh battery back and a space heater. A used prius pack might be good for this.

You could also carry an indoor rated propane heater although I think one other user here who did said there's a fog problem if you use it a lot.

The tech seems to think it is ok but was very difficult to test the heater yesterday as it was 33 degrees Celsius and the heater only goes up to 32C.Initially he thought it wasn't working as it was not developing heat on his test drive but started blowing heat once it was in the air conditioned shop. Clearly it senses when the outside temperature is hotter than the temperature it is being requested to achieve. Makes sense as it would be a waste of energy otherwise. I did try it at about 4am this morning as it was cooler, maybe 19C and was able to get the PTC heater ramping up to 1500watts, according to Leaf Spy Pro, and held steady for a good 5 minutes with the heat pump around 300-500watts. Seems to be working and is not throwing any codes. It's behaviour seems very different from what I observed two weeks ago so hopefully it will work well this Winter. Wish I had more time to test it before heading back to the Yukon but have been away for a week no and my son returns today from the Western Canada Games with no dad. Wish me luck on the Jurassic Park Highway! What us electric cars drivers are willing to endure for an ideal! lol!

Definitely some cheaper options in a pinch. The heating element/PTC heater was $1700 and $600 Labour. Even the tech thought it was humorous given the fact that it looks like a $50 part. The job was however very labour intensive. If they had any idea this part was prone to failure I would think it could have been designed to be made more easily accessible.

Back