Extension cord for trickle charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recommend short cord generally to minimize any trip hazard and less coiling that could build heat in the wire.
Otherwise 100' of #12 is fine for L1 in all conditions. Fine for L2 16a also.

Go down to your electric store and buy some 12 gauge SO or preferably SOW cord exactly the length you need, and some quality (don't go cheap) ends, a plug and a receptacle. Build your own cord. It will be a much better cord than anything you can buy.

MGS9500 said:
I don't understand why a low resistance line can't be run a longer distance. The drop off is the connection, and the number of connections is the same regardless of the cord length.
Simple.

Doesn't matter how large the wire is, or how low the resistance is, the longer the wire, the greater the voltage drop. Depending on wire size and current, the difference between a 20 foot extension cord and a 50 foot extension cord of the same gauge may be of little consequence, but the voltage drop will be greater with the 50 footer.

The biggest trouble with a long cord is that you have to wrap up more cord when you are done... and yes, you need to wrap it up every time. Or unplug it. I make all my cords 25 feet long That way they are never that much too long, and you can take them apart when you wrap them up and store them. Makes it way easier. My 10 gauge L6-30 cord is an exception.. it's 40 feet, but just because I was too cheap to spend another 50 bucks on the ends to make 2) 20 footers.

johnrhansen said:
My 10 gauge L6-30 cord is an exception.. it's 40 feet, but just because I was too cheap to spend another 50 bucks on the ends to make 2) 20 footers.
You can buy plugs/receptacles on eBay for way less than $50 - if you look a little bit you can get them for half that including shipping.

I even use a super long extension cord on public L2s as needed.

I bought it from here but I paid a bit extra for the 70 amp rated cord to futureproof it a bit:
http://www.tucsonev.com/J1772Extension.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The trickle charger on my new leaf says 14AWG, and the home wiring must also be 14AWG, so it's not clear to me that a 12AWG extension cord would increase power or safety over a 14AWG.

Right?

I recommend an appliance cord with a 90 degree end. I used a #14 appliance cord for the first 5 months of ownership back in 2011. No problems.

For a general extension cord it tends to be the connectors that get hot. If you have a #14 cord, check the ends about every 20 minutes for the first hour or two.
If spending money get a #12 cord.
JMHO

Here's the other option:

Fully 40 amp capable, light weight and very portable.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JLONG-40-Amp-J1772-extension-cable-JL40A.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back